Where To Practice?

yfried

I just practice in my room-fiddle concertina, singing, loud music, whatever. Of course, I live in the middle of nowhere, and my room is seperate from the house.......

oh well, no advice. Try quieter, that would probably work, and there are recent thread about how to do that.

I practice in my apartment. If the neighbors don't like too bad, I don't like their blaring techno at 2AM either.

*edited because I can't spell.

The best time to practice is when there's a big football match on...especially of next doors fave teams wins. Then they make so much racket I can play loudly and still not drown them out. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I tend to forget just how the sound carries and penetrates. I usually am forced to stay inside to practice since the neighborhood is getting more crowded all the time. Who knew that a tiny, slapped up logging town would grow so much and so fast?

At home, I wait until my wife, who has preternaturally sharp hearing, and is no fan of any musics except very soft recorder pieces, is out. As the door opens, back goes Victoria into her case (sigh).

However, at school I do lots of "duty"; usually watching the kids eat their lunch. The concerted din of 300 twelve-year-olds is perfect cover for the sharper tones, and I muster a lot if interest in the instrument among the kids.

Ah, but it is folly to bring the beautiful and LOUD Tedrow (Victoria) into such a place, so I'm reduced to Leontine the Stagi.

But practice is practice and I must take it while it is available.

Over time I'm sure you will find lots of places to play.

Mark, I must confess to a twinge of envy in your having a musical partner in your beloved wife; it seems to be such a comfortable, pleasant thing to make music with the one you love best; how fortunate you are!

Rob

Mark, I must confess to a twinge of envy in your having a musical partner in your beloved wife; it seems to be such a comfortable, pleasant thing to make music with the one you love best; how fortunate you are!

Rob

I think so...It just took four years of her watching me play with folks to come 'round. Who knew she always wanted to play the fiddle. Now when I come in from the jobsite she picks up the fiddle and we run through our growing repertoire. Nice.

I'll be very sad when she leaves later this month for the Netherlands :( .

• 1 month later...

>>>>I am taking concertina lessons and am very motivated to practice.

Where do you practice?<<<<

Yvonne

I came across your post about where to practice and have enjoyed the responses from everyone. I would love to say I am taking lessons, but there is a real lack of English Concertina players where I live. I am lucky enough to have a husband who is so excited that I am trying to learn to play. He puts up with a lot. I have been at it for 6 months and I can see a real improvement. Also getting a Wheatstone helped a lot!

Anyway I have been known to go and practice in the car or just out in the woods. We don't have close neighbors. But I also own a Yarn shop. Not all the time do we have customers, that is not good ...but... When there is no one in the shop I will get my concertina out and practice. I am getting brave enough that I try to keep playing when customers come in. I think it helps to build confidence. Last week I was playing and a woman walked into the shop. As soon as she walked in she turned around and looked up about the door and stated that was the weiredest door chimeshe had ever heard <G>

Pam

Brasstown, NC

• 3 weeks later...
Yesterday....

Me 'How long have I been practicing I didn't check the clock?'

Sister 'Too long'

:rolleyes:

So there you go; progress!

A couple of months ago, she would have said "Not long enough!".

It was followed by the phrase 'Can't you go watch TV or something instead?'

borrow some scottish warpipes (bagpipes) for a month then go back to concertina :ph34r:

Doesn't always work.

I used to have a neighbor whose only complaints about my practicing were 1) she couldn't hear me very well, and 2) if I ever got over my love affair with the concertina, she would like me to take up the highland pipes! :o :) :D

Yesterday....

Me 'How long have I been practicing I didn't check the clock?'

Sister 'Too long'

:rolleyes:

So there you go; progress!

A couple of months ago, she would have said "Not long enough!".

It was followed by the phrase 'Can't you go watch TV or something instead?'

Why not do both! Isak Perlman once said in a T.V. interview that he enjoyed practicing while watching soap operas (with the sound turned down). Ugh... :ph34r:

Why not do both! Isak Perlman once said in a T.V. interview that he enjoyed practicing while watching soap operas (with the sound turned down). Ugh... :ph34r:

What do cheesy dramatic music over episodes of neighbours? :P :lol:

I think they just don't like the 'eek eeek erk erk Wheeeze screeech erk' noise.

Edited by LDT

It is a problem isn't it....

I've resorted to going out to the car and settin up shop in the passenger's seat. Close the window and have at it ;)

Our cottage is not large and since I get the urge to play early in the morning (5:00a.m.) and in the evening, the car saves frayed nerves. For my family, it's the phrases I repeat over and over to get just right that drives them crazy.

Yeah. The car is good.

I've been known to stop the car on a long drive having been listening to tunes on the cd player. Getting the tina out and having a go there and then.

Relieves the tension of the long drive and helps get the fingers around the tune.

Neighbor issues impede my playing/practice no end. SO.....!! When it rains out comes the concertina. Rain usually batters down heavily enough that one cannot hear either the TV or the other party in a telephone conversation. Raindrops starting on the roof now get a pavlovian response from me, big grin & a "kid-at-christmas" mood... I can PLAY the concertina as HARD as I like! Forget the usual hesitant gentlest of touches on an accordion reeded Edgley, rain means I can get stuck into making NOISE on the Wheatstone!

I live in a block of flats, with pretty thin walls, with my girlfriend and step-daughter. The step daughter is really cool about me practicing, but my better half is a bit fed up. What I did was clear out our storage area in the basement. It took the better part of a day, as it hasn't really been touched by cleaning products since the 40's. There I now have my "den" with a chair, table notestand, deep-freezer, bicycles etc. The room on the other side of one wall is the boiler room for the central heating, so no problem there. I hav asked the neighbors just above, and next to the "den", and they only hear me in the stairwell.

S