Project Finally Done!

Ken_Coles

I've looked and looked and never found the thread where I interjected that I was planning a little project of my own. So here is a new thread. I hereby present: The Morse Ceili that is really ready for a Ceili (or other wild Hibernian goings-on)!

kc_trueCeili.jpg

The motive/deadline was to show it off at this year's Squeeze-In. I never got a suitable act worked up for the concert, so I just showed it to Rich, Bob, and Doug, who all gave a hearty laugh. Very sporting response to my mustache on their Mona Lisa masterpiece. While I've always loved this box, it often struck me as a bit too plain. One day, there in my hand, was the answer! Or so I thought.

Truth be told, I feel like I personally know whoever it is at Guinness who glues on these labels; it took me a lot of tries (and a couple of hundred spoiled labels) to get the 84 good ones I needed. You're not going to believe me, but because it takes me a month or three to drink a case of G., it took a couple of years to collect enough bottles and a couple more to finally get around to doing it. Now that I've glued on bellows papers (with water soluble gum glue) I can say it isn't hard, and I may put some more serious papers on my Guens-Wakker baritone with the pretty green bellows.

After the first row was on, I laughed. I inverted alternate rows on a whim. Now my reaction is that this is sort of Andy Warhol-like (appropriate since I live near his home town of Pittsburgh). Funny how sometimes these jokes one plays end up being what one is remembered for - oh no!

Taking a break from concertina projects (I just bought a century-old sewing maching to fix up),

Ken

I do believe it would win the prize for the thread on customized concertina

If I'd of known you needed help............................... :rolleyes:

Now hows that song go?

99 papers of beer in the box!

Take one out and paste it on!

98 papers of beer in the box!

:lol:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Perhaps Ken himself is a little stouter than he used to be.

Marcus sell self-adhesive bellows papers. David Leese sells non-adhesive bellows papers, which if it was me I think I'd be happier using. I think in my original review of the Ceili lo! these many years ago I uggested bellows papers as an inexpensive upgrade. Nice bellows papers can do a lot for the look of a concertina.

Chris

You're not going to believe me, but because it takes me a month or three to drink a case of G., it took a couple of years to collect enough bottles and a couple more to finally get around to doing it. Now that I've glued on bellows papers (with water soluble gum glue) I can say it isn't hard, and I may put some more serious papers on my Guens-Wakker baritone with the pretty green bellows.

Hmmm, if you've modded yours for Irish, maybe I could do something similar for "Scotch"? :unsure:

But the thought of drinking 112 bottles of Glenmorangie is rather daunting... :rolleyes:, never mind it would work out around 5,040 euro for a set of "papers"! :blink:

Maybe I should get myself a hexagonal concertina... :huh: (84 bottles = a mere 3,780 euro!)

edited to add hexagonal costing ;)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

You're not going to believe me, but because it takes me a month or three to drink a case of G., it took a couple of years to collect enough bottles and a couple more to finally get around to doing it. Now that I've glued on bellows papers (with water soluble gum glue) I can say it isn't hard, and I may put some more serious papers on my Guens-Wakker baritone with the pretty green bellows.

Hmmm, if you've modded yours for Irish, maybe I could do something similar for "Scotch"? :unsure:

But the thought of drinking 112 bottles of Glenmorangie is rather daunting... :rolleyes:, never mind it would work out around 5,040 euro for a set of "papers"! :blink:

Maybe I should get myself a hexagonal concertina... :huh:

I'd better start saving Typhoo Tea labels ... for an ex Salvation Army box of course <_<

My boozin days are over :(

Cheers ?? :angry:

better make that 'Regards'

Dave

btw Stephen, been trying to get a PM through to you but your inbox is full...

Marcus sell self-adhesive bellows papers. David Leese sells non-adhesive bellows papers, which if it was me I think I'd be happier using. I think in my original review of the Ceili lo! these many years ago I uggested bellows papers as an inexpensive upgrade. Nice bellows papers can do a lot for the look of a concertina.

Chris

I've often thought about papers for my Morse. Why the preference for non-adhesive papers?

I'm currently in final stages of fixing up an old salvaged "scrapper" from Chris Algar as a midi concertina. A set of labels like this would make a nice finishing touch. I suspect though my capacity for Guinness would make this a long term project, but you've given me some food for thought.....

I've often thought about papers for my Morse. Why the preference for non-adhesive papers?

Because the self adhesive ones I have encountered in the past have tended to curl up or slip, revealing gum that collects dust. With non-adhesive papers I can choose my glue.

Chris

Maybe I should get myself a hexagonal concertina... :huh:

you could save your liver and just print out your own labels ;)

Actually that gives me idea.... a chocolate concertina....mmmmmmmm. :P :rolleyes:

I've looked and looked and never found the thread where I interjected that I was planning a little project of my own. So here is a new thread. I hereby present: The Morse Ceili that is really ready for a Ceili (or other wild Hibernian goings-on)!

kc_trueCeili.jpg

The motive/deadline was to show it off at this year's Squeeze-In. I never got a suitable act worked up for the concert, so I just showed it to Rich, Bob, and Doug, who all gave a hearty laugh. Very sporting response to my mustache on their Mona Lisa masterpiece. While I've always loved this box, it often struck me as a bit too plain. One day, there in my hand, was the answer! Or so I thought.

Truth be told, I feel like I personally know whoever it is at Guinness who glues on these labels; it took me a lot of tries (and a couple of hundred spoiled labels) to get the 84 good ones I needed. You're not going to believe me, but because it takes me a month or three to drink a case of G., it took a couple of years to collect enough bottles and a couple more to finally get around to doing it. Now that I've glued on bellows papers (with water soluble gum glue) I can say it isn't hard, and I may put some more serious papers on my Guens-Wakker baritone with the pretty green bellows.

After the first row was on, I laughed. I inverted alternate rows on a whim. Now my reaction is that this is sort of Andy Warhol-like (appropriate since I live near his home town of Pittsburgh). Funny how sometimes these jokes one plays end up being what one is remembered for - oh no!

Taking a break from concertina projects (I just bought a century-old sewing maching to fix up),

Ken

Very cool and very creative!

(I have a Guiness harp tatooed on my arm.....)

Maybe I should get myself a hexagonal concertina... :huh: (84 bottles = a mere 3,780 euro!)

Geoff Crabb's 16-sided instrument comes to mind...

/Henrik

Geoff Crabb's 16-sided instrument comes to mind...

/Henrik

10,080 euro! :blink:

It'd be cheaper to buy a Jeffries!!! :rolleyes:

...that gives me idea.... a chocolate concertina....mmmmmmmm. :P :rolleyes:

I would advise you stay away from those Chinese imports.
;)

:huh: I don't get it? I was thinking cadbury's chocolate.

On a random tangent....Just had a brief thought skip across my mind (well in a daydream..I've got that friday feeling..I'm so bored just want to go home)...has anyone ever made a 'clear' see-through concertina so you can see the internal workings? In my mind It looks cool in real life I'm sure its gonna be impossible. lol!

*spots men in white coats coming to take me away*

Edited by LDT