Project Finally Done!

Ken_Coles

...that gives me idea.... a chocolate concertina....mmmmmmmm. :P :rolleyes:

I would advise you stay away from those Chinese imports.
;)

:huh: I don't get it? I was thinking cadbury's chocolate.

On a random tangent....Just had a brief thought skip across my mind (well in a daydream..I've got that friday feeling..I'm so bored just want to go home)...has anyone ever made a 'clear' see-through concertina so you can see the internal workings? In my mind It looks cool in real life I'm sure its gonna be impossible. lol!

*spots men in white coats coming to take me away*

You know I could that, it might be interesting. Use the same grade of acrylic that I use for custom combs on the harp's and high grade clear gloss draft vellum or a thinner acrylic sheeting for the cards..... .....might work but don't know how it would sound and not sure i want to find out. Though the idea is interesting. The quote goes "the dirty black men in clean white coats are coming to take me away, away. They're coming to take me away". Luckily for me "they" gave up along time ago on me and gave and gave me my doctorate (you have to be slightly mad to go for one of those trust me) :unsure: .

Sorry for tangent upon one and wonderful work on the 'tina. Gives me some interesting ideas. :rolleyes:

Michael

...that gives me idea.... a chocolate concertina....mmmmmmmm. :P :rolleyes:

I would advise you stay away from those Chinese imports.
;)

:huh: I don't get it? I was thinking cadbury's chocolate.

Cadbury's, who have just this past week recalled some of their chocolates made in China, due to contamination with melamine from adulterated milk. I haven't heard that any of their Chinese-made product has made it to the UK (mainly for Far East distribution), but that report was the basis for my "joke".

On a random tangent....has anyone ever made a 'clear' see-through concertina so you can see the internal workings? In my mind It looks cool in real life I'm sure its gonna be impossible. lol!

Many years ago my own daydream was to make a concertina entirely of glass. I didn't pursue it, but my thought was to work with Corning -- an American firm which is (or at least was) arguably the most knowlegeable and versatile maker of glasses and glass products in the world, -- making it a kind of advertisement for their expertise. My own limited experience with glasses led me to believe that it would be possible to make all the parts -- possibly even the entire bellows -- from different kinds of glass. I further imagined that the different kinds of internal parts could each be made of a different color of glass, both for decorative effect and so that one could watch their relative movements as the instrument was played.

:D

Hmmm, if you've modded yours for Irish, maybe I could do something similar for "Scotch"? :unsure:

But the thought of drinking 112 bottles of Glenmorangie is rather daunting...

What about a label from a
different
single malt whiskey for each panel?
:)

... the thought of drinking 112 bottles of Glenmorangie is rather daunting...

different

But Jim, you missed out the all-important "rolleyes" smiley = :rolleyes: !

I'd thoroughly enjoy the experience, it's more the very long time it would take me, and the cost, that would be daunting - anyway, I expect Mark might not mind helping me out... ;)

And have you seen the price of some of those other malt whiskies??? :blink: :o :unsure:

... the thought of drinking 112 bottles of Glenmorangie is rather daunting...

different

But Jim, you missed out the all-important "rolleyes" smiley = :rolleyes: !

I was guessing that you hadn't actually reached that stage in your drinking, yet. :D

I'd thoroughly enjoy the experience, it's more the very long time it would take me, and the cost, that would be daunting....

Ah, but if it takes a very long time, that should keep down the cost-per-month.

And have you seen the price of some of those other malt whiskies??? :blink: :o :unsure:

Actually, yes. But there should be enough options that you could avoid the most outrangeously priced ones. I seem to recall that the Arran distillery (wish I were at the ACE, right now) has some lovely choices for less than £50/bottle. ;)

I've often thought about papers for my Morse. Why the preference for non-adhesive papers?

Because the self adhesive ones I have encountered in the past have tended to curl up or slip, revealing gum that collects dust. With non-adhesive papers I can choose my glue.

Chris

I've wondered about this for a while. I've used a lot of self adhesive paper things for years now, (though not on concertinas or anything else important ) and I am finding after 15 years or so now they are starting to fall off. Some self adhesive things still hold, but the glue has gotten a bit gummy and while it still has a lot of stick to it, it can be slid around with some side pressure. I'm sure there are a number of different adhesives being used for this, but I don't know what is what at all. Things I though would stick forever have turned into a bunch of loose confetti. Some of the older paper glues seem to be pretty permanent.

Dana BTW also impressed with the customization. Very Classy!

• 2 years later...

kc_trueCeili.jpg

Doggone it, Ken,

you've stolen my thunder!

My Rochelle is (hopefully) en route,

and although I haven't even had it in my hands yet

I had decided a few days ago to use beer labels

as unique bellows papers.

And now I find it's already been done :(

Good job, though-

your Ceili looks great!

Many years ago at the NESI, one of the participants showed up with what I remember as a Wheatstone (English I think) that he had embellished with bellows papers made from fine cigar labels. I can't envision puffing on that many cigars, or even one for that matter. But I find Ken's way of doing it sublime. Slainte!

Ross Schlabach

Many years ago at the NESI, one of the participants showed up with what I remember as a Wheatstone (English I think) that he had embellished with bellows papers made from fine cigar labels. I can't envision puffing on that many cigars, or even one for that matter. But I find Ken's way of doing it sublime. Slainte!

Ross Schlabach

The cigar-band concertina is Ken Sweeney's Wheatstone EC. The cigar bands have a sort of iridescent blue ink, they look very nice. His box was of my inspirations, actually, so I thought about it until I came up with my own variation.

Ken C.