Wheatstone English

Pete Dunk

This starting price seems a bit high and I may be mistaken but the West Street, Charing Cross address on the label suggests a date of 1905+? Unfortunately the first digit of the serial number isn't clear in the photo but the vendor has obviously done a bit of homework and the info is consistent with the quoted number. The missing finger rests and screws worry me too, I'd rather see everything present and undisturbed - if tatty.

This starting price seems a bit high ... The missing finger rests and screws worry me too, I'd rather see everything present and undisturbed - if tatty.

It does sound rather high, especially for the condition of the instrument.

... I may be mistaken but the West Street, Charing Cross address on the label suggests a date of 1905+?

Yes, Neil Wayne gave it as 1897 in his Wheatstone srticle, but I found their Notice of Removal:

"Owing to the great increase in their business, Messrs. C. Wheatstone & Co., are obliged to move to larger and more commodious premises at 15, West street, Charing Cross Road, London, W.C. (opposite Palace Theatre) which will be their only address after March 25th, 1905."

But it was their normal practise to change the labels of older Wheatstone instruments that passed through their hands, which no doubt explains the label in this one, and maybe the later leather case it is in too.

Is it time for another project then, Pete?

I'm actually in the middle of a total rebuild at the moment, but as this one has 21 buttons on the right and only 8 on the left I don't think you would approve. :P

I never got around to tuning the 48 button Lachenal I jollied up last year because I didn't have the gear or the experience to do so. I now have the gear and I'm using tough old accordion reeds to practice on. You might say I'm Hohner-ing up my skills before I tackle concertinas. ;)

Pete.

It does sound rather high, especially for the condition of the instrument.

I asked about it and received this:

"Hello, One button on the right hand side doesn't sound quite right, on the left hand side three buttons only work in one direction or the other. Some buttons sound the same in both directions, other buttons drop down/up the scale. As stated, we have no knowledge of these instruments, perhaps it is a 'duet' concertina, the button configuration is similar according to some websites. Thank you for your interest. Kind regards

- davidoffsailing"

... As stated, we have no knowledge of these instruments, perhaps it is a 'duet' concertina, the button configuration is similar according to some websites.

- davidoffsailing"

With so little knowledge one must wonder how the starting price was arrived at, pick a number? :rolleyes: