Need Suggestions About Extra Buttons On Anglo C/g 34 Buttons

Azalin

I might be getting a 34 buttons instead of a 30 buttons, and was wondering what notes you'd suggest be added on the extra buttons. I know a push F# would be very handy, but I'm clueless about the rest. Maybe there's a "standard" extra buttons for Jeffries layout out there?

Good question. I've got a 38 key concertina but of the extra notes, only a couple of them I find are any use, so 34 is probably a good compromise.

The only extra buttons that I really couldn't do without are

(a) an extra 1st finger button above the E'/D' on the top of the inside row on the left hand side. On the standard jeffries layout it's an F# on the push and a G# on the pull.

(B) an extra button on the inside of the inside row on the left hand side, sort of half way between the A/G and the C/B. Again, on the standard Jeffries (38 key) layout it's an E on the pull and and a D# I think on the push. I don't use the D# really but the E is very handy for chords.

After that you're on your own to be honest with you cos the use I personally get out of the other 6 extra keys is all but negligible.

I might be getting a 34 buttons instead of a 30 buttons, and was wondering what notes you'd suggest be added on the extra buttons. I know a push F# would be very handy, but I'm clueless about the rest. Maybe there's a "standard" extra buttons for Jeffries layout out there?

Where will the extra 4 buttons be on the instrument?

Yeah will get the inversed C#, so I'll have both. I was thinking an F# on the push on the left side, and maybe a low A on the pull that's closer than the one on the G row could be great.

It seems Colin Dipper is finished with the concertina frame itself, buttons bellows etc, all is needed is the reed work. I'm waiting for him to tell me where are those four extra buttons :-)

The utility of extra buttons depends upon the kind of music you want to play.

I have a 40b and tend to use most of them for pieces in a chorded style.

For Irish tunes the ones I use the more are :

* F# push (left)

* E on the pull left (alternative way for DEF# and EF#G triplets and also VERY

usefull for chords)

* f# push (right)

* c# on both ways on the right (already present if you have a Jeffries) PLUS

duplicated one on the pull, left side (offers lots of alternate fingerings)

* duplicated Bb, pull, on the right (provides alternative fingerings for tunes in Gmin)

F#/E on same button, left is a good idea ; an even better (IMO) is to

put the E pull on the third row instead of Eb and move the Eb on the extra button

facing F#.

David

Edited by david fabre

Thanks, I actually sent Colin my extra notes yesterday. The four extra buttons are one button on the left side middle row, left side inside row, right side middle row and right side inside row, all located at index finger location.

I asked for a Bb/G#, F#/E on the left and Bb/G#, F#/C on the right.

So the idea was to pretty much reverse the Bb/G# and get a push F# on both sides. The "C" is just to go with the "standard" note Colin puts there for Jeffries layouts.