Faourite Cd

petec

I find I like quite a few CD's of concertina music when I hear them first, but is there one for you that passes the test of "It gets put on again and again, simply because its so enjoyable." For me its micheal O'Riley's (apologies re anglisised spelling)1st one.

I find I like quite a few CD's of concertina music when I hear them first, but is there one for you that passes the test of "It gets put on again and again, simply because its so enjoyable." For me its micheal O'Riley's (apologies re anglisised spelling)1st one.

Both of his are worth listening too quite a bit. As are Mary McNamara's. Shoot... I got quite a few that I listen to quite often.

--

Bill

Both of his are worth listening too quite a bit. As are Mary McNamara's. Shoot... I got quite a few that I listen to quite often.

--

Bill

Micheal O Raghallaigh's (hereafter named Michael..) CDs are my favourite ones as well, except for the slow airs (I just skip them) which I think are better done by others (Niall Vallely, Tim Collins, Aogan Lynch, Tony O'Connell - to name a few).

But I cannot listen a lot to Mary McNamara's CDs. Well played music but a little barren for me. I find that there is a world of difference between Michael's and McNamara's playing, I just prefer the more elaborate playing of Michael.

I listen to Dark Side of the Moon quite a lot.

Oh, you meant concertina CD's.

Mike's second one. Particularly track 11. Though the first track is great, too. Along with the second. And the fourteenth. And pretty much the lot of them.

Now, if only someone could figure out how to play the intro to "Time" on a concertina....

My favorites are Kitty Hayes playing on "A Touch of Clare" and with Peter Laban on "They'll be good yet", and John Kelly playing on "Irish Traditional Concertina and Fiddle Music". Both Kitty Hayes and John Kelly were great musicians, not flashy like others, but incredibly musical and lyrical in their playing.

Current favorite is Gearóid ÓhAllmhuràin's "Traditional Music from Clare and Beyond".

That one would be on my list, along with the Micheal O Raghallaigh CDs mentioned before. I'm also very fond of "Anglophilia" by Brian Peters. But my favorite at the moment is Kate McNamara's new album, "Are you the Concertina Player?".

My favorites are Kitty Hayes playing on "A Touch of Clare" and with Peter Laban on "They'll be good yet", and John Kelly playing on "Irish Traditional Concertina and Fiddle Music". Both Kitty Hayes and John Kelly were great musicians, not flashy like others, but incredibly musical and lyrical in their playing.

The Concertina is potentially such a splendidly versatile musical instrument it will be interesting to discover how many people will nominate a CD (or other form of recording) which is not directly associated with the traditional Irish style.

it will be interesting to discover how many people will nominate a CD (or other form of recording) which is not directly associated with the traditional Irish style.

Remember, there are an awful lot of us on this forum who don't actually play Irish music very much (or, in my case, at all)!

+1 for Naked Concertina, depite the cover (sorry Jody!) and John K's Duck Race gets a lot of play. In fact, virtually anything by John Kirkpatrick. Even when he's not playing concertina I find his style and approach to English music inspirational.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

The Concertina is potentially such a splendidly versatile musical instrument it will be interesting to discover how many people will nominate a CD (or other form of recording) which is not directly associated with the traditional Irish style.

Jody's Naked Concertina, and even more, the Grand Picnic CD (driving contra dance music propelled by concertina)

All Brian Peters, but especially Anglophilia

All Wild Asparagus (contra dance with English concertina, demonstrating that I'm not prejudiced)

Sultans of Squeeze

John K's Duck Race

Over the Water (Tom kruskal, et al, Morris dance music with a kick)

I have all the usual Irish concertina CDs but rarely listen to them, with the exception of the old Noel Hill And Tony Linnane CD, which is a good pick-me-up when in traffic.

Edited by Jim Besser

My most played are Tommy McCarthy's Sporting Nell and Paddy Murphy but I love loads of others I'm playing Brian Peters' Anglophilia a lot at the monent it seems to suit the Autumn feel, season of mists and mellow fruitfulness etc.

Incidentally why aren't there any by BP on Anglo International?

Simon Thoumire's Big Day In.

Creative, ebullient and just plain fun. Only downside for me are the closeness of the microphones. I realize it is a part of the rhythm and texture he must want, but the clacking inards of that Wheastone at times overwhelms me.

A very pleasant collaboration with piano.

Edited by Mark Evans

Incidentally why aren't there any by BP on Anglo International?

Well Michael although there are 3CDs available to us we do try to provide a mixture of styles and players from other countries .We were rather heavily loaded with English players and sadly Brian was not asked for this reason and certainly not on his playing abilities, which I later wrote in my review of Anglophilia.

There will also be a number of players omitted from EI ,some of which I have already been asked about, two of whom have been named in this thread.I try and make up for it with players nobody has heard of.

Anyway it is Graham's fault.

Al