Adding An English

NoNaYet

Phil-

Bear in mind that Duets are similar to melodeons, and melodeons were designed to be easy to play.

No they aren't. That's rubbish.

I'm not sure which of the two assertions you disagree with. I spent a couple of days with a borrowed Stagi Hayden and only succeeded in reminding myself of the problems I had coordinating my two hands when I took piano lessons as a child. Shortly after that I tried a borrowed melodion for a couple of hours and found myself playing simple with a rudimentary bass accompaniment - the first time I'd accomplished that on any instrument in almost 60 years. Based on my experience, duets are not similar to melodeons, and melodeons are very east to play. I now have two G/C melodeons and two EC's and I enjoy switching among them.

Thing is, at 54 I don't think I have enough years ahead of me.

Phil

Hey-- I took up English concertina at 55 to rewire my brain and keep me young. I recommend it. I bought my tenor treble aeola as a 60 th birthday present for myself. I figure when/if I retire I'll have much more time to play them. My father had an organ in his living room up until about age 85. If I play that long I'll have 30 years to master the EC. You might too. :lol:

Well said Sir!

I've just bought my first English Concertina & I'm 57!

Like you, I'm looking forward to playing it for at least another 30 years!

Well you've got to be optimistic, haven't you.

The power of positive thinking is a wonderful thing, don't you think! :D

So I'd say GO FOR IT PHIL!

Cheers

Dick

Phil-

Bear in mind that Duets are similar to melodeons, and melodeons were designed to be easy to play.

No they aren't. That's rubbish.

Oops, meant to say AC, not duets. Senior moment--thanks for the correction (and so politely too...I guess we shan't confuse concertina as a "gentleman's" instrument :huh: ).

As for the other part, from "The Art of Playing Hohner Diatonic Accordians" -- page 5: "There is nothing very difficult in the art of playing a diatonic accordian."

I happen to agree, in respect to basic playing of simple tunes.

But whatever your choice of instrument, I'd like to emphasize what was articulated by Dick, above: GO FOR IT PHIL! If it's EC or duet, don't be put-off...an instrument with buttons and bellows is still easier than having to develop an embrochure, proficiency with a bow, unnatural physical postures or even more complex dexterity of the hands and fingers.

Edited by catty