Whats In A Number?

shipcmo

I noticed that Ed Stander stated that his Dipper Shantyman had a "serial number" of 182, is roughly circa 2003.

John Townley's Shantyman is circa 1989 with a number of 290, and mine (which was started first) was circa 1991 has a number of 215. Do we have any others out there? Does anyone have any idea of Colin's numbering system?

Cheers,

Geo

I noticed that Ed Stander stated that his Dipper Shantyman had a "serial number" of 182, is roughly circa 2003.

John Townley's Shantyman is circa 1989 with a number of 290, and mine (which was started first) was circa 1991 has a number of 215. Do we have any others out there? Does anyone have any idea of Colin's numbering system?

Cheers,

Geo

I guess that we will need Ed to advise whether he's had his Dipper from new, and, if so, when he ordered it.

Colin always used to allocate numbers, in sequence, when the orders were placed. I took great delight in seeing him add my order to his book, in wonderful writing, back in March 1989. My Dipper is No.188, which is in line with the serial number for your instrument.

I'm very puzzled by the number for John T's instrument, though.

Regards,

Peter.

George,

Well what he said is: "I am selling my beloved 35 note Dipper Shantyman concertina ... s/n 182. This has been my pride and joy since receiving it some 5 years ago...", but he doesn't say if he got it from Colin Dipper, or if it was new then. So I'd wonder if it might have been secondhand when he got it?

Or has he had it longer than he (or his wife) thinks? (Or maybe the amboyna took a long time to grow?) :unsure:

Ed???

Or maybe the amboyna took a long time to grow?

I know this comment is in jest, but readers might be re-assured to know that Colin has been using re-cycled Amboyna for quite a number of years. He still has to source it, though, since it does not "grow on trees".

I have a C/G Dipper no. 200. I mentioned it to Colin in about 1989, when I guess he allocated the number and a page in his notebook, but I didn't even specify it for another 3 or 4 years, and then, what with some nice inlay work, an air lever rather than a button, and whatever, I got it in 2000. I also have a G/D, No 35 dated 1981, also with wood inlay work and an air lever.

I gather from a conversation with Colin some years ago that he essentially allocated numbers to orders, and then it may never be made at all, or on the other hand if the spec gets changed too late he may make another with the same number. He reckoned that there was one number which cna be found on three different instruments!

Nick Oliver

• 12 years later...