Contemporary/pop Repertoire

Bill N

While half-heartedly looking for a pic of one of my duets to goad everyone with I was reminded I have the music for 'Classical Gas'. Is that contemporary enough? It's on 'to do' list, I can only stumble through it at the moment; does that count?

I think it'll sound good on the 'box. Still not really rock and roll per se though, is it?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The riff in "Burning Bridges" by Status Quo is very danceable and playable to and sounds very similar to an Irish Trad tune (which *might* be a Kilfenora slide).

I started a similar thread on melodeon net out of interest , there are probably more melodeon players than concertina players with dance sides.

One reply was that the Burning Bridges riff is a tune clled Darby Kelly. The cavalry tune is said to be Swedish !

Check out the 'competition' squeezers site

Interesting! There's a MudCat thread talking about Darby Kelly, and one poster refers to the "Quo connection": http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=30123

If Darby Kelly was indeed an Irish drummer, perhaps he came from Kilfenora and the tune associated with the song became the Kilfenora Slide? ;)

There's a good "chicken & egg" discussion to be had on whether the Cockney rhyming slang "Darby Kelly = Belly" preceded the song (or the other way round) .

Interesting that Darby Kelly had been with Theobad Wolf Tone and the United Irishmen against English rule.Then went with Wellington to fight Napoleon. The Irish must have eventually realised that Napoleon was not the supporter of Republicanism now he was imperialist. One wonders what would have happened to Ireland had the French won! Many Irish songs did make an anti English hero of Boney as did many in England, intially, who were Republican Jacobins. Why do we fall for false totalitarian prophets?

I'm sure Status Quo had all this in mind !

• 2 weeks later...

Would these be contemporary enough?

One - Metallica

The Unforgiven - Metallica

Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

Stairway To Heaven / The Celtic Tribute to Led Zeppelin

By: The Boys of County Nashville

Thanks

Leo