Af Shabbes In Vilna

Henk van Aalten

Dear concertinists,

This tune was stored somewhere in my brain some 17 years ago, when I played it on fiddle together with my musical friends. I completely forgot it till I met one of my friends a week ago by chance. He started playing the tune with his mandolin and I could join after a few seconds with my concertina.

Back home I played it over and over again and recorded it (quick&dirty). You can find the tune at: http://home.planet.nl/~aalte099/sound/Af_S...es_in_Vilna.mp3 (1.6 Mb, MP3).

I played it on my Marcus 30b GC.

The tune is also entered in the Tune-O-Tron.

The best recipee for this tune: find some friends/musicians to join you. Repeat it over and over and play it faster and faster. The one that survives the increasing tempo must drink a glass of strong stuff (like wodka), besides the normal beer. Repeat this procedure till....

Back to the tune: part C was really difficult to play at speed with the normal push-pull method (mainly on the C-row). I found an alternative fingering, making use of all three rows, but... it is all pull, so you might get a "breathing" problem.

have fun,

Henk

• 2 weeks later...

Henk,

I only discovered this post today.

Thanks for the nice tune.

I plan to come to Germany from the 22th of March untilabout the 5th of April.

Would like to meet you at least one evening and play together.

And would like to record on MD the tunes you have recently published here.

And to look with you about the REcording software.

And to play you a nice Polka set, I am learning in these moemnts.

And to play a tune, where in order to achieve the speed, I had aslo to learn to play using all three rows. Tah we can compete who plays it quicker, and drink a beer.

Will it be possible ?

Joachim

I plan to come to Germany from the 22th of March untilabout the 5th of April.Would like to meet you at least one evening and play together....

.....And would like to record on MD the tunes you have recently published here. And to play a tune, where in order to achieve the speed, I had aslo to learn to play using all three rows. Tah we can compete who plays it quicker, and drink a beer.

Will it be possible ?

Joachim

Joachim,

You are of course welcome! We can have our private squeeze in, but anyone who reads this is also welcome :) .

Henk

I received 6 mails, asking for yur Phone number. :lol:

For nice Ladies and two Gentlemen :D :D

They wish to come and play and sing and dance :rolleyes:

I have lost your phone nr. Please give it to me in order to sychornize our sechedules.

Where can we bring to sleept the Ladies ? :P :P

Well, serious, this time I shall come truely, so many things to speak and to interchange and to learn and to enjoy.

GIVE ME YOUR PHONE NUMBER :angry:

sEE YOU SOON !

jOACHIM

cAN i SAY YES TO THE lADIES AND THE gENTLEMEN TOO ?

One of the boys is Russian, he thinks to bring loads of Vodka ! :lol: