Talk Like A Pirate Day

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrr! At me wedding rehearsal dinner, at the bonfire afterwards, I celebrated TLAPD by singing You Can't Be a Pirate !

I don't know who is on the video (Don Freed?) but my women's morris team ROCKS when we sing it in multi-part harmony!

Okay, but the translation is....

' Arrr! At me weddin' rehearsal grub, at th' bonfire afterwards, I celebrated TLAPD by singin' http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/nfld/10/pirate.htm (Ye Can nah Be a Pirate )!

I dunno who be on th' video (Don Freed?) but me wenches's morris crew ROCKS when we sin' it in multi-part harmony!'

Have also had to brake suddenly for deer. Aarrgh!!!

An advanced driving instructor told me that some drivers drive so close because psychologically they need to stay in what for them is a comfort zone, but if anything happens they have nowhere to go.

Regarding deer, on the way to Kilve in Somerset for the WCCP annual weekend, I am regularly amused by a sign which reads: 'deer on road for three miles'

I cannot understand how the deer know when to turn off the road when the 3 miles are up! :rolleyes:

- john wild

Edited by John Wild

Regarding deer, on the way to kilve in Somerset for the WCCp annual weekend, i am regularly amused by a sign which reads: 'deer on road for three miles'

I cannot understand how the deer know when to turn off the road when the 3 miles are up! :rolleyes:

- john wild

I always think those deer warning signs are about as intelligent as the 'baby on board' signs. (I always drive dangerously except when I see one of them...) Are the Dept of Transport promising us that we need not be alert for anything jumping out except where the signs warn accordingly?

Have also had to brake suddenly for deer. Aarrgh!!!

Yes, I've had to meself and boy did that set the heart to pumping.

Moose....that caused me to pull off the road shaking and thank the muse of fools that must watch over me!

A decade ago after a concert in Manchester, Vermont I drove the length of the state on my way to Canada to meet up with the family. 3:00 in the am just before the border in very thick fog and I more than a wee bit jazzed out on coffee, encountered a moose lopping across the interstate. Damnation them beasts are huge. He appeared out of nowhere. Thank goodness I had slowed down. Had I hit him, we both would have been doing the dirt nap. :ph34r:

Did any of you try deer whistles? My girlfriend has them on her car in the Pacific North West, after having the bonnet/hood of her car "modified" by a deer encounter a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

Mind you, I reckoned me playing Mr. Edwards' Aeola out the window might be more effective... :unsure:

Deer whistles... hmm! Good to know about. I'd never heard of them.

I do carry whistles and alarms with me, and even have some bear bells. I never thought I'd need stuff like that, but they've come in handy already.

The battery-operated 'personal protection' whistles are very loud and shrill and can be heard from a good distance. That one might even work for animals on the road, though it is a hand-held, push-button thing (could just get me arrested for disturbing the peace, heheh!).

With the whistles, I've successfully warded off 'wall critters' (squirrels?), an ill-tempered stray cat that didn't seem to want to let me into my own house one night, and an Eastern Redtail Hawk that was terrorizing the birds I feed and then sitting right above my door (according to the tv news, they've sent some people to the hospital with head wounds needing stitches!).

Seems like you don't live quite far north enough. They're pretty standard fare in VT, NH and ME. They look like a small jet engine (about 2" long) which you mount to your truck (car, whatever) and when you go at speed (like anything over 30mph is speedy in the north) the air going through these guys makes a high-pitched whistling noise that deers can hear and heed.

No need to turn it "on" or forget to take with you.

-- Rich --

deer01.gif

Seems like you don't live quite far north enough. They're pretty standard fare in VT, NH and ME. They look like a small jet engine (about 2" long) which you mount to your truck (car, whatever) and when you go at speed (like anything over 30mph is speedy in the north) the air going through these guys makes a high-pitched whistling noise that deers can hear and heed.

No need to turn it "on" or forget to take with you.

-- Rich --

I bought my wife a set for her Jeep back when w moved to Maine and her job required her to drive all over the state on back roads. It's not clear how effective they are on moose, which are the real problem.

If a moose hears you coming a mile away, he might get his front hooves off the road before you arrive -- maybe not -- their moods are totally unpredictable. The result of hitting one broadside at high speed are easier to forecast -- your widow will sell your concertinas cheap.

Yes, moose are dark and nonreflective and "appear out of nowhere." If your'e about to hit one, best thing is to yell "AAAARRRGH!" (Topic thread restored)

FWIW, there were pelnty of deeer encounters where I grew up in Western Penna. --Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Seems like you don't live quite far north enough. They're pretty standard fare in VT, NH and ME....

...It's not clear how effective they are on moose...

It's not clear how effective they are at all. Some people swear by them ("Haven't hit a deer in years!"). Some people swear at them ("The hooved rats are still jumping in front of me!"). I subscribe to a BMW motorcycle owners' mailing list on which one wag declared some years back that he had fitted whale whistles to his bike ("I put them on five years ago and haven't hit a whale since!") My thought: get 'em if you want. If they work, excellent. If they don't, well, they're cheap, so you're only out a few bucks. Er, dollars. Less than a doubloon?

jdms

Edited by jdms