Cnet Members

Motivated by a few threads, I looked at the distribution of members of this forum. This undoubtedly overlaps heavily with the survey. I had conjectured for some time that the concertina is an instrument of cold-weather persons. (I'm a cold-weather person trapped in a hot-weather state.) I examined the locations supplied by the members with 5 or more postings. This line was chosen arbitrarily to eliminate "transients" and because over 90% of those with 5 or fewer postings didn't specify an address anyway.

Results are shown on the "flashlight map" below. (Imagine each CNet member standing in his/her yard with a flashlight as the CNet satellite passes by.) Locations within a state or small country are generally arbitrary. One Australian was placed in Darwin as punishment for not being more specific.

The number of members listing addresses was 79. Another 60 members with 5 or more postings did not list addresses. The results seem to me to argue that CNet members are distributed more or less like the general English-speaking population, with no bias toward cold-weather climes.

I thought about weighting dots by number of postings, but I was afraid that would disrupt North Sea shipping.

Edited to add the concertina fish

post-4-1078850671.jpg

Edited by Stephen Mills

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen - this is great, done!

(I'll ignore the fact that the costal cities of Melbourne and Sydney are placed in land :P )

Cheers

Morgana

(Another cold-weather person trapped in hot weather B) )

I assume you combined EC and Anglo's? Would be interesting to split them up

I would have loved to. If only our forum members would supply information in their profiles....

I was a statistician in another, mercifully brief life (but in a cold-weather clime, Montana). This sort of data crunching is a hobby, to recall yet another thread.

I assume you combined EC and Anglo's? Would be interesting to split them up

I would have loved to. If only our forum members would supply information in their profiles....

I was a statistician in another, mercifully brief life (but in a cold-weather clime, Montana). This sort of data crunching is a hobby, to recall yet another thread.

I would stick my neck out and hazard a guess that the greater percentage of Anglo players in the UK reside in the South, the opposite being the case for EC's.

Please don't ask me for proof. :ph34r:

Pete

You have two bipolar/bifurcated/bigeographical identities (but we love you for it, don't we?). Statistician's prerogative, I put you in MA because I like Massachusetts and because MA's concertin...(fill in the suffix of your choice) complained so much about their omission in Dr. Atlas's survey. Similarly, I put another UK/San Francisco person in the UK, because, after all, concertinas belong to the UK in my geographically-imprecise-mind (see previous postings.)

Edited by Stephen Mills

I've been a concertina.net member for years, read the forum every day, play concertina at least an hour a day at home and at gigs once a week or so. Do I qualify for a dot on the southern tip of Vancouver Island?

Rod Newman

Advanced Transient

I love it. You couldn't tell it from my postings, necessarily, but I admire taciturnity (your postings = 2. below criterion). Your dot is in the works if, (SEE PREVIOUS POSTINGS), I can find the southern tip of Vancouver island (and I've even been to Seattle).

Thanks for amending your user info, or, sorry for missing your location, whichever the case may be.

I suspected the term "transient" might be inflammatory. Apologies where due.

Edited by Stephen Mills

Statistician's prerogative, I put you [Ken] in MA because I like Massachusetts and because MA's concertin...(fill in the suffix of your choice) complained so much about their omission in Dr. Atlas's survey.

And I thought that that dot was me there in Western MA! Or are we so close that the dots are commingled?

That idea of adding what flavor of concertina to your map would be very interesting! Perhaps making red dots for anglos, blue for Englishes and green for duets? Or maybe red/orange/yellow if you kept the background black, would show up better.... Jim can have a special rainbow colored dot.

Ken_Coles Posted on Mar 2 2004, 08:57 PM

So where did I end up? I'm living in two places right now. Maybe I should see if I can spot my dot. 

According to the omniscient Concertina.net satellite, you were eastbound on I88 the day of the survey. Where would you like to be? Oahu is not an option.

Well, it's about time I start posting, or I'll never have my dot on the map ;)

So here's a shy "hello" from a newish member of the board, having returned to playing the English after several years of hand problems - and loving it!

Cheers

Claus