English V Anglo

chrisbird

Here's Johnny Doran, playing solo Uilleann pipes: Colonel Fraser - My Love Is In America - Rakish Paddy. This was recorded live in 1947, first take, no edits or re-dos. The acetate ran out, which is why there's a fade at the end. What do you think?

I think he's stupendous, but Pipes is my weak spot, I can listen to them any time, good and bad playing. Just like the sound, it transposes me elsewhere.

It's not to the point though. One of the points was that these wonderful ITM musicians (bow to the Holy Abbreviation, let Allah prolong it's years) can play anything.

So I heard them playing ITM (let Allah prolong the years of the Holy Abbreviation). Now I'd like to listen to the same musician playing Shubert, then Bernstein.

But the point is mute, and even shouldn't be proven, because who really cares? All I was pointing at is knowing one's place. It may lead to actually appreciating that place more.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as long as you’re happy Ratface. It just seems reasonable to me that if you prefer another instrument why not play that instead?

And if you expect me to sit back and let people make comments like this

Leading ITM AC (wow!) players are as far from been "World Class Players" as any Joe-Shmoe, picking a melody with one finger on Piano

you are sadly mistaken.

If someone doesn't like the concertina create a www.ihateconcertina.net and post it there.

This site is for people to discuss and help each other, not to ridicule and knock.

IIf Misha has some classical solo concertina music I would really like to hear it to see how "serious" concertina music should sound.

Hey Misha, do you still have that Bach thingy with your Lachenal on YouTube? That was real good as I recall. (Allah, Marduc and Vishnu be praised).

I confess to having two things against Danny. He plays the cello...well and I can't hit a lick on it that don't sound like a wounded coyote :angry: and I'll never have the talent to play the concertina with his artistry and taste :( .

You've said it.

Danny has no place in this forum. He should change his instruments to...mm... Jew's harp. Yea, that's it. I wanna have good time, self-appreciation time, not envy-time, not hard-realization time.

I've had enough of that Danny.

It just seems reasonable to me that if you prefer another instrument why not play that instead?

I play cello and concertina, both as a 2nd (or 3rd) rate amateur (but actually quite a serious one), and they both offer different things. The concertina's a lot more portable for a start. And a lot easier (just trust me on this!). Sometimes I pick one, sometimes the other, depending on the situation and my mood, and that is not only fun, but I think gives me quite a good perspective I think. Playing the cello really shows me how "deep" an instrument can be as a vehicle for expression, and I simply can't help looking at the concertina with that in mind.

And if you expect me to sit back and let people make comments like this...

Why not sit back and smile and take a sip of tea/beer/whatever? He's not doing any harm!

If someone doesn't like the concertina create a www.ihateconcertina.net and post it there.

I don't know why it is that whenever I write that the concertina is fun and a great instrument to play, but it's not _quite_ the pinnacle of musical instruments in some specific regards.... I get accused of hating it and doing it a disservice.

This site is for people to discuss and help each other, not to ridicule and knock.

Absolutely. And some people think that it is worth being honest about the instrument we all enjoy playing, and that being honest (warts and all etc) is more helpful than not being honest, or only being partially honest.

It just seems reasonable to me that if you prefer another instrument why not play that instead?

Skins-

I'm proficient on half-a-dozen instruments, and dabble on half-a-dozen others. All, likely, because I never studied the one instrument that I'd really like to play--piano. Still, I find much usefulness from the other "lesser" instruments.

I play cello and concertina, both as a 2nd (or 3rd) rate amateur (but actually quite a serious one), and they both offer different things. The concertina's a lot more portable for a start. And a lot easier (just trust me on this!). Playing the cello really shows me how "deep" an instrument can be as a vehicle for expression, and I simply can't help looking at the concertina with that in mind.

Easier for you maybe and every instrument is a vehicle for expression when you know how to play them.

Why not sit back and smile and take a sip of tea/beer/whatever? He's not doing any harm!

Comments like that do harm. There is no place for crap like that here. But I can sit back and smile at the stupidity of them.

I don't know why it is that whenever I write that the concertina is fun and a great instrument to play, but it's not _quite_ the pinnacle of musical instruments in some specific regards.... I get accused of hating it and doing it a disservice.

I don't remember pointing any fingers at you in relation to this Ratface so let’s not be so personal.

Absolutely. And some people think that it is worth being honest about the instrument we all enjoy playing, and that being honest (warts and all etc) is more helpful than not being honest, or only being partially honest.

Honesty is fine; if you’re having trouble with something then this is the place to go for help.

Skins-

I'm proficient on half-a-dozen instruments, and dabble on half-a-dozen others. All, likely, because I never studied the one instrument that I'd really like to play--piano. Still, I find much usefulness from the other "lesser" instruments.

Likewise catty but this is why I choose to have my main instrument as concertina as it is the one I like best. Why not learn to play piano now, its never too late to start!

You know, you're arguing about aesthetics. There are theoretical perspectives, but certainly no definitive answers.

For my part, I avoid performing "classical" repertoire on "folk"instruments. I find it somewhat off-putting to hear Bach and others on instruments such as concertina, mandolin, etc. My personal foray in this idiom is classical guitar. Of course, guitar is a "folk" instrument as well, but among folk instruments its expressive capabilites are well known. But for someone who lacks proficiency on a "proper" instrument, I can certainly see attempting serious music on anything--indeed, it has much charm. Even with my personal bias, I certainly wouldn't argue against the value of it.

Likewise catty but this is why I choose to have my main instrument as concertina as it is the one I like best. Why not learn to play piano now, its never too late to start!

I play concertina because it's great fun. I play DBA when I play dances. I play strings because it's what I know best, etc. I play so many idioms in so many contexts that I'm not about to undertake piano. Aside from playing some Satie pieces on piano, which I also play on guitar--but while "charming" on guitar, they are sublime on piano--I would never develop mastery to accomplish what I hear. Even though I'll always covet the piano, I have a lifetime of work with everything else. The role of music in society has led me into playing in ways that I never anticipated--accordians, ukuleles, tenor banjo and pedal steel, for example. Even though these aren't my first choices, I work with them because there is demand. Indeed, I slackened my pursuit of "serious" music because there is so much demand for folk music.

Edited by catty

IIf Misha has some classical solo concertina music I would really like to hear it to see how "serious" concertina music should sound.

Hey Misha, do you still have that Bach thingy with your Lachenal on YouTube? That was real good as I recall. (Allah, Marduc and Vishnu be praised).

No, I took it off. Not happy about it.

Here's another piece, it is in works, but takes shape, more or less. Never thought it's going to be so much work on nuances, and so frustrating. And this fight with the slow reeds is just never going to end.

No, I don't claim, or ever will be claiming I know anything about classical music or about anything at all.

Below is my free time blabbering with the instrument. There are some good moments there, I know, but there's so much imprecision.

However, endless practicing is not going to do me any good, so here it is, you asked for it.

Bach Corrente, Partita part 1 (yes, only "one"). And I'm not even sure about the name.

Hey m3838 (Misha)-

That is the first post that I've read written by you that I take absolutely no excetion with. Charming music--thank you.

I kind of view concertina with what George Harrsion said abnout ukuleles (can't remember what that was, now, however..). Anyway, even while possessing a forlorn quality ('tina, not uke, of course), it's still an..."amusing" instrument.

Re: Bach and imprecision: I regard the canon as something to which I can only apsire to play "well," and "better," but will never execute perfectly. Kind of like life, no? It is a work in progress--I totally agree.

Cheers

Edited by catty

That is the first post that I've read written by you that I take absolutely no excetion with. Charming music--thank you.

I agree.

All I heard there was 2 chords and notes. To me this is the same as playing ITM from notation with out any extras. I would give it ago myself having never attempted anything other than trad but I dont have that range on an Anglo. I thought the point was to show technicality? All that was there was notes. I am not knocking your playing, It is very well played but there is nothing technical about it is what I am saying. Do you have something that I would have the range to play on an anglo so I can give it a go?

Here's another piece, it is in works, but takes shape, more or less. Never thought it's going to be so much work on nuances, and so frustrating. And this fight with the slow reeds is just never going to end.

No, I don't claim, or ever will be claiming I know anything about classical music or about anything at all.

Below is my free time blabbering with the instrument. There are some good moments there, I know, but there's so much imprecision.

However, endless practicing is not going to do me any good, so here it is, you asked for it.

Bach Corrente, Partita part 1 (yes, only "one"). And I'm not even sure about the name.

It's comming Misha. Fine sounding beast. I'll pop one up here myself and take my beating. Not Bach...(I've not got the chops)

Edited by Mark Evans

It's comming Misha. Fine sounding beast. I'll pop one up here myself and take my beating. Not Bach...(I've not got the chops)

http://www.framingham.edu/faculty/mevans/S...0the%20Fair.wma

What beating - that's good stuff! Excuse the bad pun, but IMHO it beats most song/concertina stuff, I've heard! Good un'

/Henrik