Rochelle Problems

ok, so after hours and hours of research and trying out concertinas and reading everything i could find on the internet, i got a rochelle concertina, to avoid all the problems of low quality build and general uselessness that has been ascribed to other low price/affordable entry level instruments. so i'm kind surprised that after three weeks there is a buzz and rattle on the alternation between push and pull of the bottom c/g button (left side middle row lowest button), a button i have barely used, and also when the note sounds there's a kind of echo of it ringing/rattling on the reeds of the right hand side.

erm, do i take it back?

I can only speak for my Rochelle. Plays nicely with only two things to mention. One key (I have not gone to the trouble to figure out which) sometimes sticks on the pull, and some of the alternate keys are not exactly tuned to the main key's pitch.

My Rochelle plays well enough that I am keeping it rather than returning for refund when I get my Tedrow next week.

NNY

Edited by NoNaYet

There are 2 reasons a note might have a buzz with it:

1) the reeds are still ‘centering’. New reeds will rotate a little on the rivet when new. This causes a rattling noise. As soon as the instrument is played in (ca. 100 hours), this will disappear.

2) The reeds produce so much volume, that parts in the action can vibrate. This problem has increased a little with the improvement of the reed amplitude. Bushing the action will push the price up with at least $100.

I have been working on an alternative solution that won’t increase the price. If all the tests are positive, we will instruct our dealers, and have a ‘action kit’ available at cost for people that already have one of these instruments.

Every Rochelle, Jackie and Jack is hand made by professional experienced workers. Because of this, there are small differences between instruments. There is no quality issue. The buzzing in some instruments is caused by increased reed performance, which requires adjustments to the action. Just like you need to make adjustments to a car when you increase the engines performance.

Wim Wakker

Concertina Connection Inc.

There are 2 reasons a note might have a buzz with it:

1) the reeds are still ‘centering’. New reeds will rotate a little on the rivet when new. This causes a rattling noise. As soon as the instrument is played in (ca. 100 hours), this will disappear.

2) The reeds produce so much volume, that parts in the action can vibrate. This problem has increased a little with the improvement of the reed amplitude. Bushing the action will push the price up with at least $100.

I have been working on an alternative solution that won’t increase the price. If all the tests are positive, we will instruct our dealers, and have a ‘action kit’ available at cost for people that already have one of these instruments.

Every Rochelle, Jackie and Jack is hand made by professional experienced workers. Because of this, there are small differences between instruments. There is no quality issue. The buzzing in some instruments is caused by increased reed performance, which requires adjustments to the action. Just like you need to make adjustments to a car when you increase the engines performance.

Wim Wakker

thanks Wim, its great to be able to get help from the guy who designed it! sounds like i should keep playing away for a few weeks and see if the rattle and buzz goes away by itself once the reeds have centred.

the rochelle is gorgeous; i would hate to have to part with it even for a day if i had to have it looked over. amazing tone, and much better than anything else i tried out, including several slightly more expensive ones. I'm very impressed.

By the way, any idea why there might be the sort of echo of the lowest notes sounding through the reeds on the right hand side of the instrument? its not terribly loud or anything, but it just has this annoying little reverberating noise. is that gonna be the same problem?

That could be the valve cover. Do you store the instrument on its side or on one of the ends?

it came in a soft carry case, in which the instrument stands on its end. or that would seem to be the way it should stand given the location of the strap and the fact that the case is circular in section. should i store it differently? planning to get a hard shell case asap...

By the way, any idea why there might be the sort of echo of the lowest notes sounding through the reeds on the right hand side of the instrument? its not terribly loud or anything, but it just has this annoying little reverberating noise. is that gonna be the same problem?

The ‘echo’ is the reed vibrating. When you stop a low note by lifting your finger, you’ll stop the airflow to the reed, but the reed will keep swinging a little longer. Large reeds, especially when they have a weight at the tip, need time to stop all movement.

Rochelles and Jackie/Jacks have special foil valves (manufactured in Germany to our specifications). Unlike leather valves, they will always stay flat on the frame.

Wim Wakker

The ‘echo’ is the reed vibrating. When you stop a low note by lifting your finger, you’ll stop the airflow to the reed, but the reed will keep swinging a little longer. Large reeds, especially when they have a weight at the tip, need time to stop all movement.

Rochelles and Jackie/Jacks have special foil valves (manufactured in Germany to our specifications). Unlike leather valves, they will always stay flat on the frame.

Wim Wakker

actually the vibration is coming from the opposite reeds. i play the lowest note on the instrument on the left hand side, and there's this odd tinny echo from the reeds on the right side that weren't being played. the instrument is lovely tho.

I'll keep you posted on whether the tattle and buzz stops of its own accord..

:)

One of the things I have done to increase the seal around my Rochelle is to add a thin shim of felt that goes between the action board and the frame and a wider strip of felt for the seal between the ends and the bellows. It has improved how quickly the reeds speak.

I have to thank Wim for the information on fixing a problem with one of the springsas it was lifting the lever next to it very slightly and you would only notice it on the movement of a note with the bellow opening. Thanks alot.

I am also replacing the wood screws with metal ones by adding a threaded shim and nut carefully into the frame (similar to a Lachenal set up). Also putting a small metal screw and bolt in place of the the two small wood screws (may be changing it to four). I as you can see i am not planning on letting this go as my kids will probably be playing on it in three to four years and it is a very solid built instrument and boxes above it's weight for the price.

I really have to take my hat off to Wim as the Rochelle has allowed me to improve my playing and widen the types of music I can play. Looking forward to when I can afford to buy a upper grade Anglo from one of the many fine builders we have on this site.

No I am not kissing up, only stating my opinion.

Michael

No I am not kissing up, only stating my opinion.

I have been enjoying my Jackie and have had no valve-action problems -- only a little friction in the button holes.

(PS- I am kissing up... :rolleyes: )

Thank you for the levity Catty, it is always appreciated. Brought a smile to the face and that was much needed today.

Michael

I got a Rochelle a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say, I`m not so enthralled. By all accounts, everyone said that the Stagi instruments were junk and I`d be throwing my money away, and that (for the price) the Rochelles are like they are carved from gold. On the same day that I got my Rochelle, I also recieved a Gremlin (another Bastari box) 48 English. It was much easier to play, spoke much faster, the action was vastly lighter, etc. I know that they are more expensive when they are new, so I wasn`t really surprised that it was better, but I was surprised at the effort that it took to play the Rochelle in comparison to the Gremlin.

By the way, out of the box, the Rochelle had a bad note which still won`t sound. I took the ends off and discovered the non-speaking reed to be on the inside of the reed block, away from my access for adjusting it. As a result, I`ve been playing a lot more English than Anglo, and the Rochelle sits in the case as a reminder of money that I used to have...

:(

I got a Rochelle a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say, I`m not so enthralled. By all accounts, everyone said that the Stagi instruments were junk and I`d be throwing my money away, and that (for the price) the Rochelles are like they are carved from gold. On the same day that I got my Rochelle, I also recieved a Gremlin (another Bastari box) 48 English. It was much easier to play, spoke much faster, the action was vastly lighter, etc. I know that they are more expensive when they are new, so I wasn`t really surprised that it was better, but I was surprised at the effort that it took to play the Rochelle in comparison to the Gremlin.

By the way, out of the box, the Rochelle had a bad note which still won`t sound. I took the ends off and discovered the non-speaking reed to be on the inside of the reed block, away from my access for adjusting it. As a result, I`ve been playing a lot more English than Anglo, and the Rochelle sits in the case as a reminder of money that I used to have...

:(

Contact Wim or the people you bought it through and He or they will help set it right as best as possible (at least from my experience). Also the Rochelle requires a bit of break in time to get it up to good playing speed with the bellows (this has been stated on a few posts concerning the Rochelle).

Hope this helps and playing English and/or Anglo is not a problem though there are those that try to keep a good brotherly grudge going on between the players of the different types.

Michael