Steel Action Levers In Early Concertinas

rob_mcsweeney

Excuse my ignorance ( we all have to start somewhere) but how common are steel, rather than brass, action levers in early concertinas, and are they indicative of any particular makers?

Also, would I be correct in thinking the use of steel rather than brass would be confined to the 'bottom end' instruments?

regards,

rob.

Edited by rob_mcsweeney

Also, would I be correct in thinking the use of steel rather than brass would be confined to the 'bottom end' instruments?

Other way round. Although brass reeds have a lovely tone (IMO), brass is nowhere near as durable.

I believe Rob was refering to steel action arms.

If so, the ones I recall seeing are in rivetted action 20b Jones. Out of half a dozen examples half had some indications of rust. One had lost a few of its arms to extensive corrosion.

I have not handled any "top end" Jones so I do not know if steel action arms were used in their more expensive instruments.

Greg

I'd say the action pivots would be more typical of certain makers, rather than steel levers.

Interesting thought Stephen, perhaps I'll take that up later.

What has been occupying my thoughts is why use steel, I would assume that these ( and I'm mainly thinking in terms of EC, with hook action and the levers having a pronounced 'dip' at the pivot point and rectangular in cross section at that point) would have been forged.

No doubt the outworkers responsible could knock these out at the rate of about one every 2 to 3 minutes, but it still seems rather a long winded process compared to punching them out of sheet brass using a flypress.

No doubt the outworkers responsible could knock these out at the rate of about one every 2 to 3 minutes, but it still seems rather a long winded process compared to punching them out of sheet brass using a flypress.

They're only mild steel, bent in a jig. 2 or 3 seconds would be more like it.

They're only mild steel, bent in a jig. 2 or 3 seconds would be more like it.

sorry for 'blank' duplicate post - mods please delete.

All depends on the design, I suppose, if the lever was a constant circular cross section, then yes it could be bent on a jig in a matter of seconds , but to get a central section of some 5mm x 2mm complete with the 'dip' tapering out to circular cross section at the ends would surely reqire them to be forged.

if only I had the brains to work out how to post a photo....... :(