If I Wanted To Customize My Concertina

LDT

I know its a 'cheap' one but I was thinking I'd love to customize it by painting a design on it (I erm..customize my clothes quite a lot). Is this wise? And if it is would acrillic paint be ok?

Its only the wood bit I want to paint.

concertina_1copy.jpg

This is the graphic I was thinking of

ldt_pattern.jpg

I thought it might make it easily identifiable as mine.

Edited by LDT

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would, having your "signature" (and its mirror-image) all over it would make it easily identifiable as yours, though most people only use their postcode...

Mind you, you could always "go the whole hog", like this guy: Firefly Accordions.

Apparently there's a Hohner 114 one-row in there somewhere... ponder2.gif

Mind you, you could always "go the whole hog", like this guy: Firefly Accordions.

Wow! That's what I call futuristic looking...its like some alien accordian from another planet. I wonder if they play those on Mars? ;)

It would, having your "signature" (and its mirror-image) all over it would make it easily identifiable as yours, though most people only use their postcode...

My postcode is boring ;) Its the graphic designer in me trying to get out. lol!

Edited by LDT

well that is pretty techno looking, sort of likea jet-pack. Almost makes writing your name on it seem trivial.

I think personalizing the low end models is the best thing to do with them.

I was hoping you were going to be more extreme, adding duck calls and whistles...

I was hoping you were going to be more extreme, adding duck calls and whistles...

That might take a little technical expertise. :unsure: Nothing wrong with customising a basic concertina in fact it should be quite a fun thing to do, not too sure about using (presumably artists) acrylics because they are quite plastic and might not stay put unless the top finish is well flatted beforehand and it might even be beneficial to re-varnish over the top of the new decoration. To avoid a drastic colour difference carefully take the shine off the existing varnish with '0000' wire wool (this is very fine and will flatten the varnish without stripping it off), add your decoration and then apply several thin coats of Ronseal to restore the finish and that should be job done.

Pete. :)

p.s. LDT, if you can't be bothered searching out '0000 grade' wire wool for a little job like this PM me your address and I'll stick a lump in the post to you.

What about a farting noise on the air button?

The addition of a short section of a balloon neck may just have the desired effect but might be all too short lived. Really Dirge, have you no decorum? there are ladies present! :P ;)

I think you have pinpointed the key difference between Anglo and English. You might expect this kind of thing on an Anglo, but an English would be far too refined .......

The addition of a short section of a balloon neck may just have the desired effect but might be all too short lived. Really Dirge, have you no decorum? there are ladies present! :P ;)

I think you have pinpointed the key difference between Anglo and English. You might expect this kind of thing on an Anglo, but an English would be far too refined .......

I'm just waiting for Stephen or Dan to tell us it was a routine conversion for music hall artistes...But the idea only works for Anglo, unless you are satisfied with one loud retort at the end of the piece as the bellows are closed.

Dirge,

As I discovered just the other day, at least one low-end model, the Rochelle, has that effect as standard ...

Cheers,

John

I always thought that's the sound I would get if I pushed the here button:

Definition-closeup.jpg

Thanks

Leo :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by Leo

Nothing wrong with customising a basic concertina in fact it should be quite a fun thing to do, not too sure about using (presumably artists) acrylics because they are quite plastic and might not stay put unless the top finish is well flatted beforehand and it might even be beneficial to re-varnish over the top of the new decoration. To avoid a drastic colour difference carefully take the shine off the existing varnish with '0000' wire wool (this is very fine and will flatten the varnish without stripping it off), add your decoration and then apply several thin coats of Ronseal to restore the finish and that should be job done.

Pete. :)

p.s. LDT, if you can't be bothered searching out '0000 grade' wire wool for a little job like this PM me your address and I'll stick a lump in the post to you.

Thanks for the advice...at least someone is taking it seriously ;)

Is there another kind of paint that would be better suited?

A friend has her Rochelle decorated with canalboat style "roses and castles" - looks good to me!

oooh....that's a brilliant idea. I bet it looks fabulous.

Edited by LDT

Hi LDT

As an idea decals of the soak in water and transfer kind, (not the peel and stick on kind) would have an advantage in that they are ready made depending on your preferences. You wouldn't need to change the surface of the existing finish, and then coat it with a clear coating to protect it, and if necessary could be removed without damage.

Warning: Chances are that racing stripes won't make you play faster. :lol:

(Sorry I couldn't help it) :rolleyes:

Thanks

Leo

Hi LDT

As an idea decals of the soak in water and transfer kind, (not the peel and stick on kind) would have an advantage in that they are ready made depending on your preferences. You wouldn't need to change the surface of the existing finish, and then coat it with a clear coating to protect it, and if necessary could be removed without damage.

Warning: Chances are that racing stripes won't make you play faster. :lol:

(Sorry I couldn't help it) :rolleyes:

Thanks

Leo

I'll have to go find some transfers...ooooh maybe I can add some flames...then get some allstar pumps to match. :lol:

*goes to serch ebay*

I have some 'model' paint left over from my brothers airfix kit...would that be better?

edit: was looking through ebay and spotted this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-books-of-faux-gold...id=p3286.c0.m14

maybe I should use some gold leaf? I'm gonna have to pop down the DIY shop and the art shop ans see what I can get my hands on.

Edited by LDT

Or something like these:

http://stores.ebay.com/Cozy-Cottage-Decor/Decal-Tips.html

http://www.yaley.com/candles/Candle_Decals.htm

I didn't have the information at hand with my last post, but something like these would fit in with Stephens picture from Klingenthal. The one site sells paper to print it from a computer, which I didn't know about. Design your own. Relatively inexpensive.

Airfix acrylic paints "should not" damage the existing finish, but other solvent bases paints could.

Thanks

Leo