I Must Stop Trawling Around Ebay But ......

Ebay is very entertaining. Make money and earn swell prizes too! Anyway, I noticed that one also. What do you suppose is the story with the strap across the top? Is it like the straps that hold accordions together when out of service? Maybe the screw has been fitted with a snap on one side. It has the look of solid rosewood though. Based on the picture I bid $50.

E

It's not the prowling that's the problem - it's the buying. Ay de mi!

I know just what you mean Chris, its addictive, I'm acquiring a serious eBay "habit", I already seem to need two or three "fixes" a week. Where will it all end ? Maybe I will soon be having to "score" a 120-bass every day ! (And then where will I be ?)

On a more serious note, I have come across similar D.I.Y. handstraps on English concertinas before. Some people may have done it as an "improvement", to make the instrument easier to hold (though most of us would find the opposite, and that their hands were very cramped by it), but I think it was more often done because someone was defeated by the prospect of making new thumbstraps.

Mind you, I was looking through the Wheatstone ledgers (from the 1930's) last night, and came across a curious reference to what appears to have been an English concertina with rails and handstraps, but I was looking for something else and didn't make a note of the number. (Mea culpa !)

Lets hear from the diaspora.

Sounds like me !

Mind you, I was looking through the Wheatstone ledgers (from the 1930's) last night, and came across a curious reference to what appears to have been an English concertina with rails and handstraps, but I was looking for something else and didn't make a note of the number.

#33622?

Check out this Topic from last September.

Sez he who encourages me to buy the Jeffries . I just can't decide which smiley face to use.

Touche, indeed threeche. But I never claimed consistency.

Do I contradict myself?

Very well then I contradict myself,

(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Chris

re....Trawling eBay.I do it too;I look everyday.However I am not looking for concertinas to buy ; but for those of us who are fascinated by their beauty and variety its an opportunity to see different instrumentsand be amazed.If I lived in London I would visit the Horniman once a month.

Robin

I lied in the second sentence..............I would love to buy five more concertinas.

You and me both, Robin!

But I did promise the spouse we could save up for a good garden tiller, a gas grill, and a shed to put them in.

And he's mumbling something about wanting a motorcycle...

All of which, of course, will put a SERIOUS dent in my concertina budget! <_<

But I occasionally bid on some of the English ones on Ebay. I would love an inexpensive (read: really cheap) 48-button to try, kind of like the EC equivalent of my recently demised Hohner.