Suttner A4 38 Button Ab/eb Anglo Concertina

RP3

This is a virtually new Suttner 38 button model A4, Ab/Eb concertina that I ordered new from Suttner and received about 6 months ago. It has solid, flat, ebony ends (which was an extra cost option), 7 fold bellows, and is truly beautiful in both appearance and full sound. The only reason I am selling it is because my hands are too big for the button spacing. It plays like a dream with rich bass. If not sold beforehand, it will be available for inspection and test drives at the Southeast Squeeze-in this weekend in Cashiers, NC. Buy this one and save yourself a four year wait!

Price not negotiable and domestic shipping/insurance to be paid by purchaser.

The only reason I am selling it is because my hands are too big for the button spacing.

How big are your hands? In particular, how wide are your fingers, and how closely spaced are the buttons (from center of one to edge of the next)?

I could be wrong, but having seen folks with large hands and fat fingers manage quite delicately on concertinas with standard-spaced buttons, I would like to think that you could develop a playing technique which would allow you to keep such a wonderful instrument.

:( I have two other high quality concertinas with which I am very comfortable and enjoy playing (one 28 buttons and the other 30 buttons), but the spacing of 38 buttons is just not comfortable for me. When I ordered this, I probably should have picked the 30 button model instead. So I'll just sell this one to somebody who can really enjoy it and I'll look for something else. But thanks for the thought Jim.

:huh: You know, it's a real shame that I've been playing concertina since the mid 1990's and provided some of the initial contributions to this website at its formation, and yet this forum "system" has the audacity to call me a "New Member". How humiliating!

:( I have two other high quality concertinas with which I am very comfortable and enjoy playing (one 28 buttons and the other 30 buttons),...

Now you have me curious:

...What kind of concertinas are the 28- and 30-button instruments?

...How much do the button sizes and the distances between the buttons differ from those on the 38?

...but the spacing of 38 buttons is just not comfortable for me.

When you say "spacing of", I've been assuming you mean distance between buttons. Is that what you mean, or possibly the distance of the rows/buttons from the hand rails, maybe especially the "extra" buttons?

When I ordered this, I probably should have picked the 30 button model instead.  So I'll just sell this one to somebody who can really enjoy it and I'll look for something else.

Have you considered contacting Jürgen to see if you could engineer a trade for a different model? Chances are he has a list of folks waiting for just that kind of instrument. (Then again, you've probably had several offers, already. :) )