New Concertina...

Suggestion to any Anglo newcomer. Resist the temptation to allow the little (4th) fingers to shirk their share of responsibility. Choose tunes/exercises which will encourage the little fingers (invariably the weakest fingers) to gain strength & control to hopefully match that of the others. Presumsbly applies to many other musical instruments ?

Good suggestion, Road. As an "English style" Anglo player, my left little finger does a lot of reaching for low notes for chords. Luckily, I've been playing the guitar for 30-odd years, so it's had a lot of use already.

New concertina (rochelle!) arriving tomorrow i think!

what does everyone think i should learn to play first?

:)

My first tune was "Blow The Man Down" it's fairly simple and a classic sea shanty. "Waltzing Matilda" will get your left hand involved on one note for a start. "It's Amore" makes good practice for the left hand as well. Also, try "Danny Boy" you can't get more classic than that and it takes you up and down the keys a good bit. But try not to cry into your instrument, it voids the warranty. :rolleyes:

There was a time, 60s or 70s I think, when you had to learn "Greensleeves" or you were stoned...with rocks.

If you're learning by ear, the more keys you contact during practice, the quicker you'll pick up other tunes, at least it seems that way to me.

Most of all, make it something you like to hear cause you'll be hearing it a lot.

Good luck! ;)

My first tune was "Blow The Man Down" it's fairly simple and a classic sea shanty. "Waltzing Matilda" will get your left hand involved on one note for a start. "It's Amore" makes good practice for the left hand as well. Also, try "Danny Boy" you can't get more classic than that and it takes you up and down the keys a good bit. But try not to cry into your instrument, it voids the warranty. :rolleyes:

There was a time, 60s or 70s I think, when you had to learn "Greensleeves" or you were stoned...with rocks.

If you're learning by ear, the more keys you contact during practice, the quicker you'll pick up other tunes, at least it seems that way to me.

Most of all, make it something you like to hear cause you'll be hearing it a lot.

Good luck! ;)

Thank you everyone!

I love your profile picture drbones, where'd you find it??

:)

Edited by philapilus