Rochelle... Or Jackie...

hello everyone. i've posted a couple of times on here and managed to completely avoid making my mind up between these two handsome beasts. :) just wondering if anyone can tell me the octave range of each, and explain the whole accidental thing? i know the anglo is C/G, but it seems to have sharps and flats of each note: is it chromatic like the english, or are notes repeated? it seems if the anglo has 30 buttons, each producing two pitches...erm...doesn't that give you possibilities for more keys than C/G (in 60 poss. notes?), and certainly more than a 30 key english...?

sorry, i'm so new to all this and i want to get it right!!

:)

The Jackie goes from the G below middle C to the C two octaves above middle C (the C just above the staff), and includes all of the accidentals for all of those notes. all notes sound on both press and draw.

The Rochelle goes from the C below middle C to the B two octaves above middle C (it's a high squeeky note, well above the staff), but does NOT have all of the accidentals, and is missing the D below middle C. However, between the A below middle C and the third G above middle C all of the accidentals are available (though mostly on either the press or draw, not both) and there are a fair number of 'white key' notes that are available on either press or draw.

Anyways, you want the Anglo. *Jedi hand wave thing*

hello everyone. i've posted a couple of times on here and managed to completely avoid making my mind up between these two handsome beasts. :) just wondering if anyone can tell me the octave range of each, and explain the whole accidental thing? i know the anglo is C/G, but it seems to have sharps and flats of each note: is it chromatic like the english, or are notes repeated? it seems if the anglo has 30 buttons, each producing two pitches...erm...doesn't that give you possibilities for more keys than C/G (in 60 poss. notes?), and certainly more than a 30 key english...?

sorry, i'm so new to all this and i want to get it right!!

:)

it is difficult to compare the two. english concertinas are more easily played chromatically, anglos less easily. C/G can be played very comfortably in C, G, D, A. All keys are possible on an anglo, they can just be more difficult.

i think i do. its the sea shanties/jigs thing i am most up for.

thank you wntrmute and david. frankly if d is easy on a c/g i reckon i've pretty much got the three keys that cover lots of the tunes i want to do. is the different note on draw and push very hard to learn? i had wondered if english was simpler. but i'm sure you've all talked about this before! don't want to bore anyone!

:D

i think i do. its the sea shanties/jigs thing i am most up for.

thank you wntrmute and david. frankly if d is easy on a c/g i reckon i've pretty much got the three keys that cover lots of the tunes i want to do. is the different note on draw and push very hard to learn? i had wondered if english was simpler. but i'm sure you've all talked about this before! don't want to bore anyone!

:D

you know, it depends. the first time i picked up an anglo, in a few minutes i was able to pick out a tune or two on it. the first time i picked up an english (2 weeks ago), it took me a few hours to pump out a few measures. some people have the opposite experience. that being said, i still would love to have an english!

you know, it depends. the first time i picked up an anglo, in a few minutes i was able to pick out a tune or two on it. the first time i picked up an english (2 weeks ago), it took me a few hours to pump out a few measures. some people have the opposite experience. that being said, i still would love to have an english!

well, i played both again recently, just for a last check, and i have now got a rochelle winging its way to me via mail. can't wait! so anybody else out there got a rochelle, or tales about how good they are? stories about how they are awful might also be interesting, if somewhat depressing now that i dropped the cash!