Nesi Almost Here!

I really enjoyed learning to play the button accordion in Newfoundland :( , and was thinking of taking a nice, small piano accordion that I was recently given (having now been designated as the family repository for unwanted oddball instruments) to see if I might swap it for a button accordion. (or maybe a DA or DG anglo- everyone in Nfld plays in D) Does this sort of horse trading go on there?

Bill:

I've never encountered horse type trading as NESI, but there is spot to offer instruments for sale, trade, etc.

You make the rules and advertise as you wish.

If there's an interested party or potential trader around, they'll no doubt find you.

Look forward to meeting you.

Have fun,

Perry Werner

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for bringing up the topic, Doug. You were raving about the NESI at a Noel Hill house concert in New Jersey a while ago, but I kept talking myself out of going. Didn't fall for the excuses this year, tho - just booked a campsite.

I'm driving up from Philadelphia Friday morning, if anybody along the way needs a ride (p/u truck; room for 1 +stuff)

Looking forward to meeting everybody, listening & (hopefully) learning something while I'm up there.

Neil Calore

sailen2@juno.com

Neil You will have a great time! Lots of interesting people to meet, and music to hear and share. There is always someone willing to help out with music, tunes, ideas etc.... There is really nothing like it.

Perry Glad to hear you are going. Do you have a bawdy song set for the pub sing? lol Doug

P.S. Howie if your going and need a ride shoot me an email

Edited by Doug Barr

I am seriously thinking about driving down for this. Looks like a lot of fun. I just got back from a week-long traditional music camp in Newfoundland, and really enjoyed the opportunity to learn from others and jam along (and play for some dances!) with a very tolerant and encouraging bunch of musicians. From all I've read here and on the NESI web-page, I'm hopeful that the same sort of atmosphere might exist there.

Yup, workshops (interactive learning from others), one-on-ones, jams, playing for the dances... sounds like it's right up your alley!

Does this sort of horse trading go on there?

There's a room in the Manor where that sort of thing is "officially" encouraged with several tables where NESI attendees can display their boxes (and other musical instruments, CD's, etc.) for sale/swap/enjoyment. There is no "charge" or "commission" for this unless you are a "dealer" (for someone who routinely sells instruments there is a flat $25 fee for the weekend and you get your own table).

The Button Box has all it's wares in a separate place to make things easy to keep... separate... :blink:

Trading elsewhere is fine though most people find it easier to have all that stuff go on in that one room as it's easier to compare boxes with other boxes (for buyers) and to be able to have all your stuff on display in one place (for sellers).

-- Rich --

Sorry Doug.

The only thing that is bawdy that I will be bringing is myself.

Maybe we can get together and do one.

If not this year then next.

I'll be working on a haiku or limerick, so I can retain my haiku crown!

Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

Best,

Perry

Edited by Perry Werner

I'd love to go to NESI this year and I've been waiting to see if it would work out, but, it's not possible for me to go. My husband has been in and out of the hospital, and I wouldn't be able to leave him alone without worrying too much -- and, even if he were to be in the hospital and thus being cared for, I'd have to be here at home to take care of the dogs, etc..

One of our dogs is a pitbull, and no one on earth except my husband or me can successfully approach this dog, or feed her! She's actually a sweetie, but... requires some know-how in handling. I'm glad to be a pitbull mom, though, all things considered.

Anyway, hope you NESI attendees have a great time.

Note on the directions to NESI:

Belden Tavern (landmark for the turn onto Beckett Rd) is no longer. The sign now says "LUJOHN'S AUCTION HOUSE." I wrote to the guys at the Button Box about it when I noticed it earlier this summer, but in the printed directions that arrived in the mail this week it came out as "Long John's Auction House."

In any case, don't count on looking for the Belden Tavern.

See ya there.

Note on the directions to NESI: Belden Tavern (landmark for the turn onto Beckett Rd) is no longer. The sign now says "LUJOHN'S AUCTION HOUSE." I wrote to the guys at the Button Box about it when I noticed it earlier this summer, but in the printed directions that arrived in the mail this week it came out as "Long John's Auction House."

Sorry about that! When I was doing this year's aterations to the confirmation sheet I was told (over the phone) to change the Belden Tavern to - what I thought I'd heard. Oh well. Thanks for letting us all know about the mistake!

See you there (at NESI that is)!

-- Rich --

Note on the directions to NESI:

Belden Tavern (landmark for the turn onto Beckett Rd) is no longer. The sign now says "LUJOHN'S AUCTION HOUSE." I wrote to the guys at the Button Box about it when I noticed it earlier this summer, but in the printed directions that arrived in the mail this week it came out as "Long John's Auction House."

In any case, don't count on looking for the Belden Tavern.

See ya there.

Shame it would have been easy to recognise on one stilt and a parrot on the roof.

No imagination some people.

Al

Hey Alan:

I've been meaning to write.

It was wonderful to have finally met you at Mark's in Bradfield a few weeks ago.

That English session was a gas!!!!!

Any chance you'll be at NESI?

I hope if you are not, the CD's will be!!!!!

Have fun,

Perry Werner

PS: In all the four or five years I've been attending NESI, I've NEVER seen that Belden Tavern sign.

The first year I attended, I missed the cut off and went at least 30 miles out of my way in a driving rain.

It was kind of spooky and things get pretty desolate out there in north central Mass., but I now have very "fond" memories of that trip.

See y'all soon!!

Edited by Perry Werner

Hey Alan:

I've been meaning to write.

It was wonderful to have finally met you at Mark's in Bradfield a few weeks ago.

That English session was a gas!!!!!

Any chance you'll be at NESI?

I hope if you are not, the CD's will be!!!!!

Have fun,

Perry Werner

PS: In all the four or five years I've been attending NESI, I've NEVER seen that Belden Tavern sign.

The first year I attended, I missed the cut off and went at least 30 miles out of my way in a driving rain.

It was kind of spooky and things get pretty desolate out there in north central Mass., but I now have very "fond" memories of that trip.

See y'all soon!!

It was also great to see you there ,sadly we did not have time to talk much together ,I was expecting to meet you on the Saturday evening or on the Sunday, but you were out for a meal on Saturday night and then left to continue your tour on the Sunday.As for NESI ,I will try and get there one day,perhaps to give a talk on the three Internationals,so about three years time.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Still willing to offer a ride to someone from Ohio, or for that matter to someone farther west or south, as they could park their car in the church lot here.

Or for that matter, could even pick someone up farther to the east. I have a Honda Element, so there is room.

Alan

Woooooo......... NESI is almost HERE! Just a few more days! So much to do yet though things are really shaping up well.

Besides the usuals, there'll be a couple of new instruments to show this year.... a Wim Wakker A4 model (the Eir) will be on hand and the Button Box's new tenor English hybrid (pre-production model).

The weather also looks to be great: nights in the 40's and clear bright days in the 70's.

A reminder to all who're planning on coming and haven't registered yet: please register BEFORE the event if you'd like to partake of the meals! It really does help us as we have to have the chow count in to the caterer before the weekend begins.

Also - a reminder to bring your limericks and haiku to enter into the contest... any interesting squeezeboxes and paraphernalia you'd like to display amongst the other oddities... ideas for giving workshops or requests for such... instruments........

And - it turns out that our helper can't make it this year so we're looking for someone (a scholarship position!) to help at the registration table and do some Button Box errands. Please call or e-mail us if you're interested!

See you soon!

-- Rich --

Woooooo......... NESI is almost HERE! Just a few more days! So much to do yet though things are really shaping up well.

Besides the usuals, there'll be a couple of new instruments to show this year.... a Wim Wakker A4 model (the Eir) will be on hand and the Button Box's new tenor English hybrid (pre-production model).

Maybe a Wakker Hayden again? Tho ISTR Bonie said he wasn't coming, but maybe someone else has one.

The weather also looks to be great: nights in the 40's and clear bright days in the 70's.

I'm bringing my flannel PJs for those crisp nites in the cabin ...

Also - a reminder to bring your limericks and haiku to enter into the contest... any interesting squeezeboxes and paraphernalia you'd like to display amongst the other oddities... ideas for giving workshops or requests for such... instruments........

I'll bring my Bastari Hayden 67 bandoneon of course, my prototype Hayden button clavichord, printouts of Rachel Hall's arrangements for the orchestra -- plsu any limericks or haikus that pop into my head during the logn drive.

See you soon!

-- Rich --

You bet! --Mike K.

If I don't see you at NESI, we'll see you all Monday.

Greetings from the Squeeze-In. I took a period off to hike the cross-country ski trails here and now I'm in the lobby of the manor checking in to the internet (there's a wifi router on the wall behind the desk a few yards from here). I don't think I've figured out who Alan is yet, but we're all having a great time.

Edited to add:

Just found Alan. He came up behind me as I was typing. BTW, Ragtimer's my roommate this year. I just bought my copy of "English International." I don't know when I'll have a chance to listen to it.

Edited by David Barnert

If I don't see you at NESI, we'll see you all Monday.

Greetings from the Squeeze-In. I took a period off to hike the cross-country ski trails here and now I'm in the lobby of the manor checking in to the internet (there's a wifi router on the wall behind the desk a few yards from here). I don't think I've figured out who Alan is yet, but we're all having a great time.

Edited to add:

Just found Alan. He came up behind me as I was typing. BTW, Ragtimer's my roommate this year. I just bought my copy of "English International." I don't know when I'll have a chance to listen to it.

Hello to you all!

I am so sorry to miss meeting Alan. Maybe next year!

Couldn't do it this year, a small pile of multi-crisises, etc., and so on. But, nonetheless, playing some music -- my foot bass and my accordion, lately, even more than my concertina. Have concertina plans, too, though.

Well, good, NESI has beautiful weather this time around, I guess! I think you are getting the same that we are (in east-central Mass.).