Nesi Almost Here!

Well the NESI is less than a month away and I am looking forward to seeing and hearing the buttonbox gang and all the participants. If you have never made the NESI you are missing a great time. There still might be a cabin spot and/or there is always room for camping. Give the Buttonbox a call and see, you will not regret making the trip. All kinds of different instruments and music and a really friendly group. See you soon Doug Barr

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so terribly sorry to be missing NESI this year. It truly is a highlight of the year for me. Wonderful folks, good food, great music, beautiful surroundings- it's a shame not to be there.

BUT

On Sept. 20, 2008, I am going to get married :) to my main squeeze! It's his birthday, so it seemed an auspicious date.

But shucks, we'll miss y'all. Maybe we'll celebrate our anniversary at NESI 2009!

Edited by Animaterra

I am so terribly sorry to be missing NESI this year. It truly is a highlight of the year for me. Wonderful folks, good food, great music, beautiful surroundings- it's a shame not to be there.

BUT

On Sept. 20, 2008, I am going to get married :) to my main squeeze! It's his birthday, so it seemed an auspicious date.

But shucks, we'll miss y'all. Maybe we'll celebrate our anniversary at NESI 2009!

Aw shucks is right, Alison! We keep missing each other at these events ... Finally I get to go to another NESI, my first since 2004 started it all for me.

Well, I hope your new "squeeze" appreciates your "main squeeze."

And has a good tolerance for chocolate ...

Does he play an instrument? One that goes well with 'tinas? Bring him along next year?

At least you only have to remember to buy cards and gifts once a year.

Congratulations, and see you nextyear!

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Thanks for the good wishes, all. No, Chris, my Main Squeeze is an actual human, who plays guitar, banjo, mandolin and fiddle, and loves to play around with me (oops, did that come out the way I meant it to? ;)

And yes, we want to come together to NESI in the future. And now that I have a PA as well, :o there's all sorts of squeezing I can do!

Thanks for the good wishes, all. No, Chris, my Main Squeeze is an actual human, who plays guitar, banjo, mandolin and fiddle, and loves to play around with me (oops, did that come out the way I meant it to? ;)

And yes, we want to come together to NESI in the future. And now that I have a PA as well, :o there's all sorts of squeezing I can do!

Congratulations Allison,Wonderful news. See you both at The George? or even at NESI one day.

Al XXXX

Howdy:

1) Allison: Very congratulations. A very good reason to miss any other event. Sorry I won't see you.

2) Doug: Will be there. Long time no see. Look forward to seeing you and everyone (well almost everyone, just kidding) else.

Have fun,

Perry Werner

Edited by Perry Werner

my Main Squeeze is an actual human, who plays guitar, banjo, mandolin and fiddle...

Still hoping that you might make it to one of our sessions in Vermont...Every Thursday, except Thanksgiving, from now until the end of time.

See you there. Bring both of your squeezes.

fjb

Oh, yes I am planning to attend the Squeeze this year too. I was the bass player last year.

Edited by fiddlerjoebob

I feel as though I kind of derailed the point of this thread with my little announcement, so I'll try to do my part to keep it on topic.

Things I Will Miss at NESI 2008:

~Waking to the sounds of several different groups of concertinists and accordion players jamming here and there.

~Falling asleep to the sounds of several different groups of concertinists and accordion players jamming here and there.

~ Standing on the porch at registration time and greeting folks I only see at Bucksteep.

~Standing in line at meal time and engaging in conversations with folks I haven't met yet.

~When everyone huddles in the main room and the "bar" on the rainy days.

~ The new tradition for the ladies of "dressing up" for Saturday night dinner and concert (keep it up, ladies!).

~ The magic of the procession to the barn for the Saturday night concert

~ The incredible generosity and kindness of amazingly accomplished musicians towards those of us who can only stand in their shadow and hope that someday....

~ The beauty of the region

~ The deer antlers in the bar

~ The museum of oddities and the private instruments/books/etc. for sale

~ The camaradarie, the warmth, the fun, the group energy, all of it!

Anyone else?

Things I particularly like each year (which I'll never miss I've been there every year and expect to be there every year!):

• The initial "hellos" as everyone arrives - and especially the newbies who are always agog at the goings-on).
  • Checking out newly-acquired instruments (especially from the "new" makers).
  • The Concertina Band workshop
  • The amazing concert! (and phenomenal limericks/haiku!)
  • The contradance!
  • The tail end of the Saturday night (Sunday morning) session in the main hall when things are down to just a few folks playing "select" tunes in front of the fireplace. It's a particularly nice mix of talk, playing, firegazing, and just plain absorbing.
  • The frost on some early mornings makes crunching-in-time-to-the-music noises as I walk from the camp area to the manor house.
  • Learning new tunes/techniques, playing in smaller groups....

And then there are things that don't happen *every* year.... Like last year's stellar white chocolate macadamia cookies, or the year of Howie's puppets, Monty's infrequent visits, Jody's limberjacks....

-- Rich --

I both love and dread....

== being tempted to buy things offered for sale...Once it was Ed Delaney's Lachenal treble (still in use). In 1998 it was my very first concertina of traditional construction (Tom Mescal's C/G). Every year CDs and books. And last year, Mr. Morse's fiddle! (doing quite well thank you, I play it quite often.) One year I tried to sell a concertina, but not very hard I suppose (I still have it).

== eating too much

By the way, in case any neophytes are reading this thread, NESI is the North East Squeeze-In, a weekend event held every September in the northeast U.S., in Massachusetts. In the British Isles it sounds as if there are many great events, in North America this is one of the best of our few (but growing) list of the same.

Ken

I am seriously thinking about driving down for this. Looks like a lot of fun. I just got back from a week-long traditional music camp in Newfoundland, and really enjoyed the opportunity to learn from others and jam along (and play for some dances!) with a very tolerant and encouraging bunch of musicians. From all I've read here and on the NESI web-page, I'm hopeful that the same sort of atmosphere might exist there.

Now for a guilty admission and NESI question:

I really enjoyed learning to play the button accordion in Newfoundland :( , and was thinking of taking a nice, small piano accordion that I was recently given (having now been designated as the family repository for unwanted oddball instruments) to see if I might swap it for a button accordion. (or maybe a DA or DG anglo- everyone in Nfld plays in D) Does this sort of horse trading go on there?

Looking forward to heading out there, but wouldn't mind taking an extra person out along with me and my wife. So if anyone in the Ohio area wants a ride, send me a pm. Possibly we could take two with judicious packing. Robin has already said she would take a smaller guitar if need be. Last time we picked up a hitchhiker in PA and took him into Massachusetts, and he had a backpack and a guitar and there was room.

Alan