2004 Tedrow "aeola Style"

Bob,

Congratulations ! It looks great, "wonderful".

Perhaps it is not polite, but I see, that you have improved your makeing, from what I have known about two years ago, and I liked thos instrumetns too.

But this is better.

Would like top know how it plays.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

Bob

Most impressive, a fine looking intrument and example of craftsmanship,

I note from the orientation of the palm rests that the 'top' and 'bottom' of the concertina is on the 'points' of the octagon, so that the points of the frame/ bellows would be in contact with the player's leg, should they choose to play seated and rest the concertina. Can you advise why you made that choice?

thanks for the pictures

Dave E

I note from the orientation of the palm rests that the 'top' and 'bottom' of the concertina is on the 'points' of the octagon, so that the points of the frame/ bellows would be in contact with the player's leg, should they choose to play seated and rest the concertina. Can you advise why you made that choice?

I am happy with the way the concertina looks with the point on the top. I think it gives the concertina a nice round look, less like a stop sign.

So far none of the owners have complained of discomfort playing the concertina. My harshest critic, wife Klari, has played hers 18 months without comment.

I don't think it is an issue.

I have added images of the Tedrow "standard" concertina at:

http://hmi.homewood.net/standard

Bob Tedrow

Bob,

I was not thinking of the design resulting in player's discomfort. I did wonder if it might have an effect on bellows wear (long term), but mainly I was interested in the depature from what has become the 'standard'. Did this design make any significant difference to reedpan and action layouts/ construction?

Dave

Hello Dave,

I did make up a whole set of jigs to build eight sided instruments, it is vanity and curiosity that led me to do so.

I like the way they look, I enjoyed the process. They strike me as very functional works of art. Little musical sculptures.

I don't believe any of the other North American makers will bother to offer veneered eight sided instruments, so there is a bit of snobery there as well.

Can't help it,

Bob Tedrow

Edited by Bob Tedrow

How does the veneering hold up. I love some of the woods especially the birdseye maple but have wondered if the veneer might not hold up as well as solid wood. Probably just shows my ignorance. BTW, can models with birdseye maple be had in solid wood?

Just wondering

jim d

I use a veneering technique that was popular during 1700 and 1800's called

"Hammer veneering"

Hammer veneering requires skill in preparation and application of hot hide glue.

Hide glue has some wonderful properties that make it an excellent choice for this type of wood work. As it cools, it "gels" and becomes very very sticky. The "hammer" which is really a heated cylinder of thick brass on a handle is used to press (not pound!) the veneer onto the underlying wood.

Properly veneered substrate woods must be veneered on both sides to avoid very nasty warps.

Typically, a pretty veneer is used on the outside of a given piece of wood and a more modest veneer on the back. I use a black Pearwood for the inside and any number of purty woods on the outside.

As far as hide glue holding up over time....I believe much of old King Tut's fancy work was glued with hide glue. It is still holding. The strength and utility of hide glue is beyond dispute.

I have not seen bird'seye maple in solid pieces, only veneers. I would imagine the wacky grain would make less that desirable instruments.

Now understand, when we are talking about veneer, we do not mean "plywood" like your front door is built of. The two are not the same Veneering should never be discussed in a perjorative manner.

By Gumm,

Bob Tedrow

Thanks for the info Bob. I've seen some old oak furniture that has held up like it was solid while some others have peeled and split. It might very well be that it was the way the furniture was cared for (or in some cases NOT taken care of) that made the difference. Or, from what you are describing, some furniture may have been veneered using the way you describe while other furniture was veneered using a cheaper, but less reliable method.

Anyway that's where my question came from. I guess if I'm going to someday have a birdseye maple looking concertina, it's going to have to be of the veneered variety.

appreciate the information

jim d

Edited by JimD