Looking For Crane/triumph Duet

Anglo-Irishman

Friends,

For some time now, I have been yearning to leave the diatonic confines of the Anglo, and after much thought, research and discussion have decided that what I need is a Crane/Triumph system duet. Preferably a 48-key. The problem is - where do I get one?

Just before my funding materialised, there was a nice one on Ebay at a good "buy now" price. When the funding became available, I enquired with Chris Algar, who actually had one in stock, but it got sold before he could get the photos to me. Then there was a big one on Ebay at well above my price, and a 35-key that would have been a bit limiting at the top of the range, and was in very doubtful condition.

I just won't accept that fate is against me in this, so I'm asking you kind people:

Has anyone got, or does anyone know of, a 48-key Crane (preferably wood ended) in playable condition (i.e. concert pitch and tight) that would be going for a realistic price?

If so, I'd be delighted if you would get in touch.

Thanks,

John

• 4 weeks later...
Friends,

For some time now, I have been yearning to leave the diatonic confines of the Anglo, and after much thought, research and discussion have decided that what I need is a Crane/Triumph system duet. Preferably a 48-key. The problem is - where do I get one?

Just before my funding materialised, there was a nice one on Ebay at a good "buy now" price. When the funding became available, I enquired with Chris Algar, who actually had one in stock, but it got sold before he could get the photos to me. Then there was a big one on Ebay at well above my price, and a 35-key that would have been a bit limiting at the top of the range, and was in very doubtful condition.

I just won't accept that fate is against me in this, so I'm asking you kind people:

Has anyone got, or does anyone know of, a 48-key Crane (preferably wood ended) in playable condition (i.e. concert pitch and tight) that would be going for a realistic price?

If so, I'd be delighted if you would get in touch.

Thanks,

John

I got my 48K Crane from Chris Algar too, it was last year. I'm not sure what a realistic price is these days, but I paid alot for mine just becuase I wanted one and didn't feel like waiting 5 years. I paid 750 GBP for mine plus another 50GBP just for shipping.

Another 48K Crane went on Ebay just a few months ago for about 1700-1800 USD if I remember correctly.

Its very well restored, though since its a bit harsher than my Macaan I think maybe some of the reeds are replacements, still I like it alot.

Folks,

A restored ex-Salvation Army Triumph 48-key has just appeared on Ebay. Apparently from Barleycorn. Starting price 750 quid.

I'm going for it this time! So if you see a high bid - it's me. Don't go experimenting with market forces, please :)

If you want it too, and you've been waiting longer than I have, we can negotiate. I've just reckoned that I've been waiting almost exactly 55 years for just this model! (Fell in love with it when I was about 7.)

Cheers,

John

Edited by Anglo-Irishman

John, I have my fingers crossed that you get the instrument of your dreams. Waiting from little more than infancy until middle age is a long old time.

Of course we will expect you to dribble in public when it's finally yours and we'd love to hear your first impressions, followed by the inevitable and heart stopping doubts before you figure out its foibles (and they will be there!) and realise that it really is the concertina you've dreamed about for all of those years.

Bet you have a low point when you think 'OMG I've spent so much money and it's only a hexagonal box with a few keys on either end' Slowly and surely a good instrument will teach you that it's not a thing to be trifled with, you will learn its little ways and treat it with inordinate respect. Then, and only then, will it reveal its unique secrets and reward you with pure musical joy. She looks like a nice old box, have fun!

Pete.

Bet you have a low point when you think 'OMG I've spent so much money and it's only a hexagonal box with a few keys on either end' Slowly and surely a good instrument will teach you that it's not a thing to be trifled with, you will learn its little ways and treat it with inordinate respect. Then, and only then, will it reveal its unique secrets and reward you with pure musical joy. She looks like a nice old box, have fun!

Pete.

Pete,

Nicely put!

Hope it doesn't go for too much, so I'll have some cash left over for psychological counselling ...

;)

Cheers,

John

OK, Folks,

The title of this thread is no longer current. You can uncross your fingers :lol:

Yes, I won the auction for that ex-SA Triumph 48-key. It's up to the banks and the parcel services how long I have to pine for it now.

I've already printed out "Crane's Patent English Combination Concertina Tutor" from concertina.com, so the first progress reports are only a matter of time.

Watch this space ;)

Cheers,

John

PS. For your convenience and in the interests of continuity, I intend to retain the nickname "Anglo-Irishman". It is still an accurate description of me.

J.

OK, Folks,

The title of this thread is no longer current. You can uncross your fingers :lol:

Yes, I won the auction for that ex-SA Triumph 48-key. It's up to the banks and the parcel services how long I have to pine for it now.

I've already printed out "Crane's Patent English Combination Concertina Tutor" from concertina.com, so the first progress reports are only a matter of time.

Watch this space ;)

Cheers,

John

PS. For your convenience and in the interests of continuity, I intend to retain the nickname "Anglo-Irishman". It is still an accurate description of me.

J.

John.

CONGRATULATIONS

rainbowdance.gif

I hope you'll both be very happy together! ;)

Well done John - I wish you many happy hours getting your fingers in a tangle. And if you can take some photos, I would love to add it to the gallery at CraneConcertina.com

Thanks, Steve!

Be glad to send you a photo and other data when I get the goods.

I had a look at your site. I've bookmarked it for further reference (e.g. for reading when I get sore fingers from pracitsing ;) )

I watched the YouTube Crane clips, which led me to clips of a Belfast accordion band, which led to clips of Lambeg drums - boy did that make me homesick! I'm not complaining - we Irish sort of live by our homesickness; professional nostalgists, so to speak. The Crane/Triumph has to do with that in a way. I'll send you the story with the photo.

Cheers,

John

OK, Folks,

Watch this space ;)

Cheers,

John

J.

glad to hear you finally got a Crane duet, now to plan the next 55 years!

Folks,

It arrived by post from Chris Algar just after lunch today!

Lachenal 48-key Crane Ser. No. 4656, ebonised, steel reeds, metal buttons, with "Triumph - The Salvation Army" still legible on the original straps.

It's in a case that needs no more than a bit of cosmetics, and perhaps a softer cloth lining. Much smaller than the case of my Stagi Anglo, though the measurement across the ends is the same. The Lachenal looks smaller because the ends are thinner and the bellows more compact.

I was surprised at how much heavier the Lachenal is. This is balanced by the tone, which has a lot more "presence" than the Stagi. Apart from the fingering, I'll have to get used to dealing with the weight of the Crane. One good thing: the buttons are fairly long, so I can still keep enough finger-nail to play the banjo.

At least I had done enough preparation work to be able to run up and down a couple of scales and play a few chords. The sound is impressive. I'll keep you posted on my further progress!

Thanks for all your support in this now successfully ended quest!

Cheers,

John

Folks,

It arrived by post from Chris Algar just after lunch today!

Lachenal 48-key Crane Ser. No. 4656, ebonised, steel reeds, metal buttons, with "Triumph - The Salvation Army" still legible on the original straps.

It's in a case that needs no more than a bit of cosmetics, and perhaps a softer cloth lining. Much smaller than the case of my Stagi Anglo, though the measurement across the ends is the same. The Lachenal looks smaller because the ends are thinner and the bellows more compact.

I was surprised at how much heavier the Lachenal is. This is balanced by the tone, which has a lot more "presence" than the Stagi. Apart from the fingering, I'll have to get used to dealing with the weight of the Crane. One good thing: the buttons are fairly long, so I can still keep enough finger-nail to play the banjo.

At least I had done enough preparation work to be able to run up and down a couple of scales and play a few chords. The sound is impressive. I'll keep you posted on my further progress!

Thanks for all your support in this now successfully ended quest!

Cheers,

John

Congratulations! Especially on the balance side.

You're living my dream (well, sort of)

I don't believe you'll deal with the weight though. Play seated, for one, and you always can redo the straps to be somewhat more modern ergonomically. Possibilities are many.