Anglo Straps And Reaching

LDT

What do you mean by across rows style? Is that hard?

I don't understand why anyone does not cross the rows. It gives you several options for runs of notes and for harmonies. And you don't need to change your hand position as often.

Along the row players generally take advantage of the alternate notes when they like. It isn't as though there is somebody standing ready to whack them with a ruler if they deviate from the general pattern. Beginners may limit themselves more, but as they progress, they branch out and experiment to find new possibilities, just like the cross rowers do. Along the row playing lends itself to an older more bouncy style, similar to the difference between C#/D and B/C accordion players. Some types of tunes benefit from this , others don't, but just as a Cross Row player can adjust their fingering or bellows work to get more of that effect should they wish it, Along the rows Players can do the opposite if they feel the need.

There are real differences in the general sound of the two different methods ( and there are different versions of both ) so it is a good plan to start out in the style that is used by really good players you like to listen to, but I don't see either way of playing in the long run as being much more limited than the instrument itself.

A lot of people start out in the along the rows pattern because it seems how the instrument is organized, where cross row fingering isn't at all obvious, and generally requires some initial instruction at least to get anywhere at all. Having a good teacher right from day one is the best way to go for either style. It is too easy to paint yourself into a corner with bad habits otherwise.

Dana (a cross rower who occasionally plays along the rows if it suits the tune better )

Re: Playing across the rows:

I wish there was a sticky or thread specifically for scales or methods of playing scales. I've mentioned this little article before and several people have downloaded it. It's a brief discussion of Noel Hill's Method.

It isn't anything Noel has seen (that I know) or that he's approved of, except when I have run it by him in casual conversation. It's really at the heart of playing across the rows. It won't substitute for lessons or classes from him because he's so focused and such a good teacher, but it will take you some way. It's dense but if you're interested in the technique it will prove useful.

Edited only to add: And, hopefully, will lead you to attend one of his schools or to take a few classes from Noel.

Edited by David Levine

Re: Playing across the rows:

I wish there was a sticky or thread specifically for scales or methods of playing scales. I've mentioned this little article before and several people have downloaded it. It's a brief discussion of Noel Hill's Method.

It isn't anything Noel has seen (that I know) or that he's approved of, except when I have run it by him in casual conversation. It's really at the heart of playing across the rows. It won't substitute for lessons or classes from him because he's so focused and such a good teacher, but it will take you some way. It's dense but if you're interested in the technique it will prove useful.

someone else was requesting a sticky for scales. that might be a good idea.

your description of noel's method is pretty accurate, albeit elementary (as it is supposed to be). i am not sure whether or not noel would approve. out of respect for him, i have never publicly posted any concise or definitive explanations of his method. but i would like to point out before anyone gets snippy that david levine is not violating any terms of nondisclosure which noel outlines for his students, as david has created his own document. also, i would like to say that i err on the side of over-respect in most situations, and i do not find this to be disrespectful to noel, whether or not he enjoys the idea of it.

there are situations when noel does chop--but it is only to purposely make it sound choppy and add space, not because he is avoiding an alternate finger. but, i would agree 100% in that it is a bad habit. i also agree that one should really take classes from him if they can, because you learn so much more than you could ever from by reading online. it is a really great opportunity. the only analogy i can think of is if matt molloy were to hold flute camps every year in america.

Edited by david_boveri