Transportation And Storage

LDT

I want to be able to carry the concertina with me/take on trips etc. but all I have to put it in is the cardboard box it came in. Any suggestions for cheap bags or boxes? Or has anyone got a sewing pattern so I can make one? What makes good container? Does it need to be padded or have a hard bottom (I might be able to make some from my patchwork reminants).

I would certainly recommend in the first instance a hard case, because one will serve to keep the bellows compressed and stabilise temperature and humidity changes, as well as giving good impact protection. Marcus, Music Room and Hobgoblin all sell suitable cases for around 50 quid. Afterwards you may choose to get a padded gig bag for short term use. They're about 20 quid or so. But do get the hard case first and keep your concertina in it most of the time when you aren't playing it.

Chris

I want to be able to carry the concertina with me/take on trips etc. but all I have to put it in is the cardboard box it came in. Any suggestions for cheap bags or boxes? Or has anyone got a sewing pattern so I can make one? What makes good container? Does it need to be padded or have a hard bottom (I might be able to make some from my patchwork reminants).

This is an endless debate. Here are my 2 cents, shillings or whatever:

Hard case: best storage of instrument in proper position; best protection against severe trauma, like tree limbs falling on the case; most waterproof; generally small

Soft camera type case: if it has lots of padding, best protection against shock from jarring, dropping, etc. Light. Generally not too expensive.

Soft camera case without substantial padding: worthless.

My best instrument always travels in a custom hard case INSIDE a larger soft camera case with thick foam padding.

My second best instrument travels in a soft M-Rock camera case that comes with semi-rigid plastic inserts on the sides and top that provide a modicum of security against those proverbial tree limbs. I've added thick foam padding; it can drop off a table without any damage to the instrument (and has).

If you're talking about a cheap concertina, you might want to find one of the old IBM cases the button box used to sell...indestructible, lots of padding, and very inexpensive.

Edited by Jim Besser

For cheaper instruments there may be a reason to use lunch cases. They are padded, sturdy, keep the temperature, easy to carry, light, fancy and cheap.

I just went and looked at the pictures you posted of the concertina you bought, and I second Mischa's suggestion. That should do fine for your concertina. Mine was delivered in a similar bag.

Alan

Hard case: best storage of instrument in proper position; best protection against severe trauma, like tree limbs falling on the case; most waterproof; generally small

Soft camera type case: if it has lots of padding, best protection against shock from jarring, dropping, etc. Light. Generally not too expensive.

Soft camera case without substantial padding: worthless.

I think I will make one. Pad it with quilting (wadding) but give it strength and hardness with interfacing/buckram..

Best of both worlds then ;)

For cheaper instruments there may be a reason to use lunch cases. They are padded, sturdy, keep the temperature, easy to carry, light, fancy and cheap.

I just went and looked at the pictures you posted of the concertina you bought, and I second Mischa's suggestion. That should do fine for your concertina. Mine was delivered in a similar bag.

But I don't think they are available outside the United States... :(

Hard case: best storage of instrument in proper position; best protection against severe trauma, like tree limbs falling on the case; most waterproof; generally small.

I think I will make one. Pad it with quilting (wadding) but give it strength and hardness with interfacing/buckram..

Best of both worlds then ;)

That sounds like your best option.

Hi I have a Rochelle (from Concertina Connection) but found that the gig bag it came with was a bit of a tight fit. I purchased a fishing bag from an Aldi store (£7.99) which is padded (about 1cm thick) and has a separate bottom section so that the concertina is insulated from damage occuring through the base of the bag. It's not very compact but the concertina fits nicely inside, allowing it to be taken out of the bag in a ready to play position.

I have a Rochelle (from Concertina Connection) but found that the gig bag it came with was a bit of a tight fit.

I can't speak of yours, as I haven't seen it, but the Rochelles I've had have all been an ideal "snug" fit. Obviously it's bad if you have to try to force an instrument into its case, but it's more prone to getting damaged if it's too loose.

I glued up a cube out of 12mm exterior grade plywood, sliced it about a quarter of the way down from the top, added hinges and a handle and lined it with some padding. It looks better than I expected finished with a few coats of tung oil, and although not watertight it is strong. I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

stevo

I glued up a cube out of 12mm exterior grade plywood, sliced it about a quarter of the way down from the top, added hinges and a handle and lined it with some padding. It looks better than I expected finished with a few coats of tung oil, and although not watertight it is strong. I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

stevo

ooh, I'd love to see :)

Hopefully this image works.

I could probably have made the box a little wider.

P1070484.JPG

I haven't finished lining the lid. There are 2 cushions, one for the top and one for the bottom - they hold the concertina in place.

P1070489.JPG

regards

stevo

Hopefully this image works.

I could probably have made the box a little wider.

P1070484.JPG

I haven't finished lining the lid. There are 2 cushions, one for the top and one for the bottom - they hold the concertina in place.

P1070489.JPG

regards

stevo

that's very elegant. :) Mines still a work in progress. Because I haven't time to put it together myself. I've given the complete patchwork section and my design over to my sister (she did a gcse in textiles) who's putting the whole thing together for me.

I'd like to see a picture. I made a double case but I made it too tight to accept concertinas slightly on the large size.

In the past few weeks I've attended two festivals. At the first one I carried a concertina and a flute, in the same padded bag, with no problem. For Mrs. Crotty I took two concertinas (Bf/F and C/G), each in a lightly padded bag. I also carried two flutes, in hard cases. When I arrived I realized that I'd forgotten the back-pack. But I did have a clean white-mesh coal bag. I put everything in there and felt safer knowing that few people would want to steal a coal-bag filled with old laundry.

Keeping the instrument in a hard case is more important at home. On the road I am very careful, always holding or carrying the instrument. At home I am wary of the hazards presented by an active vacuum cleaner or the Domestic Goddess's need to rearrange furniture.

I'd like to see a picture. I made a double case but I made it too tight to accept concertinas slightly on the large size.

it should be finished today by the time I get back. i'll post a pic tomorrow.

But I did have a clean white-mesh coal bag. I put everything in there and felt safer knowing that few people would want to steal a coal-bag filled with old laundry.

lol! is it entirely hygenic? ;)

Keeping the instrument in a hard case is more important at home. On the road I am very careful, always holding or carrying the instrument. At home I am wary of the hazards presented by an active vacuum cleaner or the Domestic Goddess's need to rearrange furniture.

I'll probably keep mine in the cardboard box at home. Yep I've got to be carefull if my mum goes on a cleaning frenzy. Although most things are safe on top of the wardrobe.

:lol: I guess that must be why I'm still single, and allergic to housework... ;)

this is a work in progress

concertinabag_WIP1.jpg

I still need to add a 'lid' strap and put some interfacing in the ends then ad some padded inserts at each end.

Edited by LDT