English And Anglo

MandolinRefugee

I`ve finally recieved my first concertina after waiting to buy one for about 10 years! What makes this a momentous occasion is that, in the absence of any concertinas in Japan, I had a hard enough time deciding whether I was going to buy an English or an Anglo, I bought one of each. Lo and behold, they arrived here within 30 minutes of each other, and today is a Sunday!

The Anglo that I have is a Rochelle, and English is a Gremlin, made by Bastari / Stagi, I think. They`re completely different instruments, not just in terms of the fingering systems, but look and feel, too.

My initial reaction is that the Gremlin is not just a better instrument, it`s a vastly better instrument... The action is much easier, the bellows are more flexible, the notes speak much easier, instantly, I can say, and it is a much prettier instrument, as well as being smaller.

The price difference on new instruments is quite large between the stagi and the CC boxes, and I have no idea how they will hold up over time, but the Gremlin makes me want to play, and I have been since 10:30 this morning. I`d better give it a rest, though, because today`s my anniversary!

Cheers

I`ve finally recieved my first concertina after waiting to buy one for about 10 years!

wow thats a long wait! at least you have a box your happy with, thats good. So much playing to be done, better late than never.

You will be doubly excited when you get your hands on a Lachenal, and just imagine when a Wheatsone falls your way...

congratulations and have fun