Opinion Maker In The Making!

Sorry, Ken, didn't see this thread, so this is 2501 and I'm already an ineluckty thingummy. Coo-er.

I'd like to thank my parents and Anne for being very patient and

and finally Charles Wheatstone who started it all.

Chris

Congratulations Chris.

Funny thing, every time I play a note on my Dipper it sounds like aum ...

Actually it's amazing, I can leap tall concertina cases with a single bound, run faster than a speeding Noel Hill, lift great weights (of sagging tunes). Wow, this is really something. But what's that? Some chap with a concertina made in East Germany and it's glowing green! My powers, they're slipping away ... weakening .. I can hardly lift this Morse even ... must ... try ... to ...

Congrats, Chris. :) Now, some maths, leading to a statistic. You've been posting for just under 5 years since you joined. I make it 1821 days. Divide 1821 days by the number of posts you have made to date - 2503 - and it averages out at 1.37545194 posts per day. Interestingly, shipcmo (George Salley) joined C.net the day before you on the 19th August and is member no. 10. You are member no. 75, so 65 people joined C.net in the space of 24 hours! I wonder who they were and how many are still active forum members. Which leads me to wonder what has happened to dear old Jim. He hasn't posted for some time now. I don't suppose you and Stephen have conspired to bump him off so that the pair of you can rule the forum roost?

Chris

Hm, a lot of points there, mate.

First, with regards to Jim I'll let him answer for himself, which he does here.

Many people joined the forum in a short space of time because, well you may not know that there was a prior forum to this one, using code hand-crafted by Paul himself. When Paul set up a new forum using Invision software there was a mass migration from one to the other, which is why so many old hands joined about the same time.

So far as Steve and I ruling the roost is concerned, keep an eye on Mischa (M3838) who in the next few months I expect to pass both of us with an audible sonic boom ...

Chris

PS I've often wished that Paul would restore the old forum in a read-only form; there was a lot of good writing in it (including my own directly after I had my stroke, which I've long wanted to re-read).

Well, for flocks sake! Jim the shepherd! Moving some sheep from Denmark to Sweden, eh? Sounds like a shear waste of time to me. I expect he's trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. Baaa.

Many people joined the forum in a short space of time because, well you may not know that there was a prior forum to this one, using code hand-crafted by Paul himself. When Paul set up a new forum using Invision software there was a mass migration from one to the other, which is why so many old hands joined about the same time.

Thanks for that, matey. I didn't know that.

So far as Steve and I ruling the roost is concerned, keep an eye on Mischa (M3838) who in the next few months I expect to pass both of us with an audible sonic boom ...

I hope it's not a Russian bid for world domination! And, yes, sonic booms are usually audible, Chris.

PS I've often wished that Paul would restore the old forum in a read-only form; there was a lot of good writing in it (including my own directly after I had my stroke, which I've long wanted to re-read).

Any chance of having a word with the powers that be to see if the old forum could be restored in a read-only form. I, for one, would be keen to see what I have missed.

Chris

Well, for flocks sake! Jim the shepherd! Moving some sheep from Denmark to Sweden, eh? Sounds like a shear waste of time to me. I expect he's trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. Baaa.

I hear you. :D

I kind of imagined Jim walking with his concertinas and gathering sheep by playing, the way it should be done, all the way from sparse Denmark with abundant sheep population to abundant Sweden with sparse sheep population. But they use trucks, railroads and complain about difficulties.

So far as Steve and I ruling the roost is concerned, keep an eye on Mischa (M3838) who in the next few months I expect to pass both of us with an audible sonic boom

Huh? No pressure, right? As far as "I" am concerned, my sonic booms are pretty lame. Sigh.

I hope it's not a Russian bid for world domination!

It is. I heard US Steel Mills are owned by a bunch of Russian Oligarchs.

Any chance of having a word with the powers that be to see if the old forum could be restored in a read-only form. I, for one, would be keen to see what I have missed.

Hmm.

I remember coming across old forum. I think it's still hanging in the syber space.

Try searching for concertina.net forum or for particular topics, that were discussed back then.

Chris

Congratulations Chris

I heard it's lonely at the top. When Jim comes back, he'll be in good company. :D

If you had the address of the old forum, you could type it in here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://concertina.net

I'll bet it's in there somewhere.

Or is it in one of these pages: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://concer...eneral_bbs.html

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

I've often wished that Paul would restore the old forum in a read-only form; there was a lot of good writing in it (including my own directly after I had my stroke, which I've long wanted to re-read).

If you had the address of the old forum, you could type it in here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://concertina.net

I'll bet it's in there somewhere.

Or is it in one of these pages: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://concer...eneral_bbs.html

Some of the old posts are still to be found there, but what has been archived is unfortunately very erratic and incomplete. :(

The last occurence of the old Forum is here: September 19th, 2003

65 people joined C.net in the space of 24 hours! I wonder who they were and how many are still active forum members.

As one of the 65 who joined in that period -

1. It was the first day of the new format, and I had already been a member of the old forum.
  2. I continue to monitor the forum, but tend to view as a Guest, only logging on when there's something I want to reply to.
    That's why I'm still at a relatively lowly ranking.

Congrats, Chris, and keep on posting!