100,000 Tune Service!

HELP!

I have two Concertinas in need of attention, but I've just heard back from Chris Algar who says he is snowed under & can't take them on! :(

So my question is, who would you guys recommend?

One just needs to be tuned, but the other will need a bit more attention.

Cheers

Ptarmi

P.S. If you prefer, a private E-mail response would be fine. ;)

I recently bought a 30B C/G Anglo concertina dating from the late 19th. Century. When I received the box it had a myriad of problems that went far beyond my ability. I was fairly discouraged and at a loss what to do. I was encouraged by Mark Davies to have Dave Prebble look at the box and offer an estimate for the work. After talking to Dave I decided to have him do the work to it. I couldn't have made a better choice. What Dave did is simply amazing. The concertina looks and plays like a new instrument. He rebound the bellows and they feel and look like new - for far less than a new bellows would have cost me. He repaired and replaced buttons, polished the wood frames, replaced springs and pads as necessary, and the instrument now looks and plays like what it is: a fine vintage instrument.

I would not hesitate to have Dave do work for me in the future. I cannot imagine anybody doing better work no matter what the price. There are many fine repair persons in the UK at present, and Dave is without question one of the finest and a real pleasure to deal with. He is also a splendid and vigorous player, so you know that if he does up your box it can withstand hard use.

Send me an email for his contact information - it isn't always a good idea to post this information on a public forum.

Edited by cocusflute

HELP!

I have two Concertinas in need of attention, but I've just heard back from Chris Algar who says he is snowed under & can't take them on! :(

So my question is, who would you guys recommend?

One just needs to be tuned, but the other will need a bit more attention.

Cheers

Ptarmi

P.S. If you prefer, a private E-mail response would be fine. ;)

I too have availed of Dave Prebble's talents. I had two Lachenal rosewood ended anglos refurbished, including all the type of work mentioned by Cocusflute and in one case metal buttons substituted for old bone buttons, which required bushings. I can testify that the boxes came back as good as, if not better than original.

They played really well and looked wonderful.

I have also had a metal ended Salvation Army Lachenal Aflat/Eflat refurbished by Dave.It needed a lot of work but is now a really great sounding instrument on a par with many of the premium named concertinas.

Dave is a member of this forum and can be contacted by email.

I recently bought a 30B C/G Anglo concertina dating from the late 19th. Century. When I received the box it had a myriad of problems that went far beyond my ability. I was fairly discouraged and at a loss what to do. I was encouraged by Mark Davies to have Dave Prebble look at the box and offer an estimate for the work. After talking to Dave I decided to have him do the work to it. I couldn't have made a better choice. What Dave did is simply amazing. The concertina looks and plays like a new instrument. He rebound the bellows and they feel and look like new - for far less than a new bellows would have cost me. He repaired and replaced buttons, polished the wood frames, replaced springs and pads as necessary, and the instrument now looks and plays like what it is: a fine vintage instrument.

I would not hesitate to have Dave do work for me in the future. I cannot imagine anybody doing better work no matter what the price. There are many fine repair persons in the UK at present, and Dave is without question one of the finest and a real pleasure to deal with. He is also a splendid and vigorous player, so you know that if he does up your box it can withstand hard use.

Send me an email for his contact information - it isn't always a good idea to post this information on a public forum.

I would second that.I was very impressed with Dave's work that I saw at Bradfield over the weekend.

He played pretty well too.As did Mr Cocusflute

OH Yes

Al

Snowed under in August?

British expression for too busy to take on any more work !

Although, given the Summer we're having over here, I don't think anyone would be too surprised if it did start snowing!

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be getting in touch with Dave, shortly.

Cheers

Ptarmi

There are a number of decent repairers around the UK (including the good Mr Prebble). See the Makers and Repairers section of the Concertina FAQ for some. Whereabouts are you?

Chris

Thanks for the tip Chris.

Yes, I have checked that list, but I always like to hear from satisfied customers, before getting any work done.

Unfortunately, there are none based in Ulster! :(

Cheers

Dick

As one restorer discussing another, I can vouch for Dave Prebble's skills and and knowledge. I would certainly recommend his workmanship and acknowledge the wide range of service elements he brings to each instrument.

Dave Elliott