Boeremusiek

Sebastian

Hello.

I became interested in boeremusiek but beside the 14-or-so Youtube films, the entry in Wikipedia and the site www.boeremusiek.org.za I didn't find any information. Is it possible (and how) to learn more about it, e. g. melodies, styles, dances, sheet music, and -- most important -- to practice it (not living in South-Africa)?

Mersí,

Seb.

Hello.

I became interested in boeremusiek but beside the 14-or-so Youtube films, the entry in Wikipedia and the site www.boeremusiek.org.za I didn't find any information. Is it possible (and how) to learn more about it, e. g. melodies, styles, dances, sheet music, and -- most important -- to practice it (not living in South-Africa)?

Mersí,

Seb.

Seb there are two examples of Boer Music on Anglo International,there are other recordings available at The British Museum sound archives.There are a couple of records about this subject (one French) but I am not sure where you would find a copy.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Sebastian,

Welcome to the world of boer music. There are certian designations used by boer music players to differentiate what type of style of music and tempo is to be used during a song or dance such as "setees" (a Scottish style of music), "vastrap" faster paced music, mazurkas, polkas, waltzes. There is also the old fashioned traditional music and then modern/pop/country style music.

Most boer music players play by ear and there is no sheet music to my knowledge. I am in possesion of "lessons" with charts and diagrams of concertina layouts showing you which notes to pull and to pull during the course of a boer music song. Boer music players love anglo concertinas and use all three rows of buttons during any particular song. With the popular 40 button Wheatstone anglo one can play in all the twelve musical keys.

I will send you a PM and also a CD of boermusic. I can also send you a diagram how to play songs such as "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" and "Amazing Grace" if you are interested.

Thank you, Alan and Ben, for your answers. :)

If there is no sheet music, how do you fix melodies? That is, do you have a pool of "commonly known melodies"? How do you learn them/pass them on? How tight are melodies defined and how much room is there for variations? I suppose, the harmonic accompagnement is simply derived from the melody?

Oh, so many questions... ;)

I will send you a PM and also a CD of boermusic. I can also send you a diagram how to play songs such as "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" and "Amazing Grace" if you are interested.

Thanks, I will answer by PM.

Salutationes

Seb.

• 10 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2008 at 10:57 PM, ben said:

Sebastian,

Welcome to the world of boer music. There are certian designations used by boer music players to differentiate what type of style of music and tempo is to be used during a song or dance such as "setees" (a Scottish style of music), "vastrap" faster paced music, mazurkas, polkas, waltzes. There is also the old fashioned traditional music and then modern/pop/country style music.

Most boer music players play by ear and there is no sheet music to my knowledge. I am in possesion of "lessons" with charts and diagrams of concertina layouts showing you which notes to pull and to pull during the course of a boer music song. Boer music players love anglo concertinas and use all three rows of buttons during any particular song. With the popular 40 button Wheatstone anglo one can play in all the twelve musical keys.

Hi Ben,

I am new to the forum. I have bought my first 20 button Anglo last night and very proud. Probably not the best one but it is one nonetheless. I was wondering if you could assist with these songs mentioned above and maybe if you have any "boere musiek" notes for me. I stay in CPT.

I have worked out the "Kalfie Wals" last night from other sheet music and doesn't sound to bad. Any help will be helpful...

Thanks

Danie

Edited by Daniel

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forums.

As to your post, it may not be the best idea to revive  a thread which has been "dead" for more than ten years now. However @ben is still active, and with my including his forum adress he will probably come back to you.

Best wishes - ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 4:25 PM, Faf said:

Is there anyone in England that plays boeremusic on concertina? 

I hope you'll get a reply from Zak (Zak vdV , two posts above yours).  He's originally from there, and a very fine fellow and player.

• 7 months later...
On 8/12/2008 at 10:57 PM, ben said:

Sebastian,

Hallo Ben, can you also send me some diargrams, maybe of the 2 songs mention.  I'm start learning to play the 40 button anglo consertina

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Tom louw said:

I really want to learn to play Boere Musiek.I am familiar with guitar chords and notes.

Is there anybody in Polokwane who can help me?

I'm in Manchester, not Polokwane, but there are several examples of South African tunes in 

Volume 2 of Dan Worrall's The Anglo-German Concertina (pp. 252-256). I dunno if this counts

as Boere Musiek (two of them are flagged as Sotho/Zulu, the rest as Boer)...

Volume 1 of this rather splendid book is also available...

Edited by lachenal74693

Hello Tom Louw.

You should contact "https://boeremusiekgilde.co.za/ "  They could put you in touch with concertina players in your area.

The website is being updated but there is an e-mail address  for the secretary.

They apparently have a branch in Pietersburg/Polokwane.

"Beste geluk."   Zak.

Edited by Zak vdV

8 hours ago, Zak vdV said:

Hello Tom Louw.

You should contact "https://boeremusiekgilde.co.za/ "  They could put you in touch with concertina players in your area.

"Beste geluk."   Zak.

8 hours ago, Zak vdV said:

Hello Tom Louw.

"Beste geluk."   Zak.

Thanks Zak