Can Anyone Help Re. Wheatstone And Jeffries

susan

Hi, I have two concertinas which belonged to my Grandfather. One is a Wheatstone & Co.48 button serial no. 4082 date of sale 1851 (see Hornimans museum web site , Wheatstone & Co. ledgers, Wayne C1047 page 37. The other is a C. Jeffries 21 button. Both are in need of restoration. I can find very little information on the latter. I would appreciate some advice about where to look for a serial number on this! I am going to sell both of them and would appreciate a bit of advice first. I can email pictures if anyone is interested! Thanks Sue

Sue,

Jeffries concertinas don't have serial numbers, and it's just about impossible to make any useful comment about either instrument without seeing photos. What most of us do is upload them to a service like Photobucket, so you can display them here.

That's how I'm displaying this smiley: this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Thank you Stephen, I will upload the pictures to Photobucket My account is called sjr_021 ! Thank you for your help! Regards Sue

I will upload the pictures to Photobucket My account is called sjr_021 !

Sue,

If you simply left click on the IMG Code of a photo in your Photobucket, that will copy it, then paste the result in the box (when you're posting) here and the photo will appear in your post. It's much the easiest for everybody that way!

Sue,

If you simply left click on the IMG Code of a photo in your Photobucket, that will copy it, then paste the result in the box (when you're posting) here and the photo will appear in your post. It's much the easiest for everybody that way!

Thank you Stephen for all your help I will follow your advice

Sue,

Thank you Stephen for all your help I will follow your advice

Pictures are now available for my Wheatstone and C Jeffries Concertinas

Please follow the links below

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/sjr_021/Jeffries

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/sjr_021/Wheatstone

Please cut and paste into your browser to view

Regards

Sue

If anybody could please give me any information on either I would be most gratefull.

Hello Susan, I won't comment on the Jeffries anglo because they're not my thing. The 48 button English is a very basic model with only four fold bellows and is in a particularly dreadful condition, goodness only knows what it's like inside. My best advice would be to put it on ebay and see what you get. You may get lucky.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I've done my best to give you an honest appraisal.

Pete.

Hello Susan, I won't comment on the Jeffries anglo because they're not my thing. The 48 button English is a very basic model with only four fold bellows and is in a particularly dreadful condition, goodness only knows what it's like inside. My best advice would be to put it on ebay and see what you get. You may get lucky.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but I've done my best to give you an honest appraisal.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Maybe 'dreadful' from a players point of view, but fairly standard condition for a repairer/restorer. I like them like this - generally means they have not been faffed about with too much by well intentioned owners. Obviously the price would reflect the condition. I see nothing that cannot be easily fixed, but would want to see a picture of the heart of the instrument - the reeds. Assuming these are in reasonable order, this should make a nice instrument.

Similarly, a picture of the reeds in the Jeffries would be helpful.

Dave

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Maybe 'dreadful' from a players point of view, but fairly standard condition for a repairer/restorer. I like them like this - generally means they have not been faffed about with too much by well intentioned owners. Obviously the price would reflect the condition. I see nothing that cannot be easily fixed, but would want to see a picture of the heart of the instrument - the reeds. Assuming these are in reasonable order, this should make a nice instrument.

Dave

Hi Dave, I think you're absolutely spot on on standard condition for a repairer/ restorer. I've seen far worse on the internet ie. bellows torn asunder! The black tape on the Wheatstone covers a half inch split (approx)! Both the concertinas are complete with black cobb webs and haven't been faffed about with :) Will try and post pictures of cobb webs and reeds over the weekend!

Cheers

Sue

Regards

Sue

If anybody could please give me any information on either I would be most gratefull.

Sue,

I would tend to the same view as Dave Prebble, both instruments are not YET player's instruments, but from the pictures it would appear that they present no more than the 'average' standard of challenge to a competent restorer. If you can show photographs of the reed pans with sufficient clarity to see the reed details, it would help substantiate overall condition and potential.

You will have realised that the 48k is an English system concertina, my concern is that it may have brass tongued reeds. The 20k (+1 air button) is an Anglo concertina, and you will need to eventually establish the two keys the instrument will play in. Does the Anglo have any Jeffries stampings on the wood work anywhere?

Dave

Regards

Sue

Sue,

I would tend to the same view as Dave Prebble, both instruments are not YET player's instruments, but from the pictures it would appear that they present no more than the 'average' standard of challenge to a competent restorer. If you can show photographs of the reed pans with sufficient clarity to see the reed details, it would help substantiate overall condition and potential.

You will have realised that the 48k is an English system concertina, my concern is that it may have brass tongued reeds. The 20k (+1 air button) is an Anglo concertina, and you will need to eventually establish the two keys the instrument will play in. Does the Anglo have any Jeffries stampings on the wood work anywhere?

Dave

Yes Dave, The concertina is marked with the name C. Jeffries MAKER. If you look on the first picture it can be seen at the top to the left of the screw on the leather strap.

Sue

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Dave

Hi Dave

Here are a couple of photos of the heart of the instruments (warts and all)! The R11 is written in lead pencil and I noticed that Paul Schwarz Jeffries had R14 written inside. If you look at the two images next to each other the writing is very similar. R is obviously for right but what is the significance of the numbers.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/sjr_021/R11.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/s...WheatstoneL.jpg

Regards

Sue

Hi Dave

Here are a couple of photos of the heart of the instruments (warts and all)! The R11 is written in lead pencil and I noticed that Paul Schwarz Jeffries had R14 written inside. If you look at the two images next to each other the writing is very similar. R is obviously for right but what is the significance of the numbers.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/sjr_021/R11.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee335/s...WheatstoneL.jpg

Regards

Sue

Sue

The pencilled numbers are most likely batch numbers. Unlike Wheatstone, Jeffries didn't have a ledger and a sequential numbering system(so far as is known). The number 11 would be to ensure that all the elements of that concertina in that batch were kept together during maunfacture/assembly.

Alex