Advice For A Newbie On A Budget

LDT

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest the admin/mods close/lock the topic o prevent a big argument errupting.

What...and spoil all the fun then!? Besides, I'm still hoping for m3838's rehabilitation..

Nice signature block, btw! :lol:

This thread seems to have go way off topic. I suggest the admin/mods close/lock the topic o prevent a big argument errupting.

The words "horse" and "stable door" spring to mind... :unsure:

Anyway, we now seem to have concluded that Misha wasn't even talking about the same model of concertina as the rest of us - so much ado about nothing! :rolleyes:

This is more controversial than when I went on a Doctor Who forum and said I didn't like Rose as a companion. lol!

And just look what you started here too, troublemaker! ;)

Anyway, we now seem to have concluded that Misha wasn't even talking about the same model of concertina as the rest of us - so much ado about nothing! :rolleyes:

I thought the conclusion was that Misha wasn't even on the same planet as the rest of us.. :blink: (just kidding...I'm willing to be nice :rolleyes: ).

i don't think there's been anywhere NEAR enough argument yet...

:lol:

am buying my rochelle in the next couple of days (or jackie. i will decide before i order it, honest :D ), which i hope won't spark a new war of attrition on these happy blue pages. I did actually get advice from one helpful person who told me that unless i spent £900 on an instrument it wasn't worth playing. :blink:

and there i was thinking i was a beginner and wanted to have some fun...

I did actually get advice from one helpful person who told me that unless i spent £900 on an instrument it wasn't worth playing. :blink:

I guess that all depends on your idea of what is "worth playing". :unsure:

But apart from my $20 Hero accordion, I also play this beauty:

Aeolatenor-treble31205.jpg

Which cost me rather less than that £900 - though I was very lucky!

Fun? You want to have "fun"! :blink:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I did actually get advice from one helpful person who told me that unless i spent £900 on an instrument it wasn't worth playing. :blink:

It's so preposterous...sounds to me like a nefarious plot that will enable some "helpful person" to buy up all of the Hohners and Scarlattis for themself! :unsure:

Look people.

When a person is buying (unknowingly) something less worthy than easily available, but still has time to return and fix that impulsive venture, to be happier, more successful, less frustrated, to need less determination to go forward, to be less talented to make better music - to me it's worthy to be verging on bullying. It's "tough love" case. I am perfectly aware that many people, who are oblivious, don't really care about a stranger, but keen on demonstrating their personal phycologic slickness will jump at the opportunity to show that. They will defend rights of inanimate objects not to be dissed. I think I did my best to persuade LDT, while plowing through unreasonably fierce resistance. So now Catti can be happy, LDT will keep lesser instrument instead of getting better one. Strange. I guess I did fall from the Moon.

But I have forgotten my own discovery some decade ago, when, after spending 10 years in US, and experienced unexplainable Tolerance, I suddently realized that the tool for such Tolerance is... Indifference!

Indifference is safe, clever and wise, but excrutiatignly boring.

Now to rehabilitate in the eyes of the average: I never said directly that LDT's instrument is junk. So you can't incriminate me. You can draw any conclusions and make any generalisations, but you can't put words in my mouth. I'm glad 30 and 20 buttons Scarlattis are very different instruments, made by different people at different factory, never knew this. If they are so good, I wonder if Stephen may take one as a trade-in in possible future deal? That may be an option too.

I'm greatful to the world and old Yahve, that it produced such great musical pedagogue as Catti (it would be nice to hear her playing, to learn from). I will spend some time figuring out why, while tool is important, it's OK to chose worse one, when better one is nearby.

And I'm genuinly scared of that misterious "member", mentioned by PeterT, whose conduct is so gravely negative. But I'm more genuinly scared of the sound of snorring, that some (unnamed) forums sometimes emit. Luckily to that there is a solution, and I'm more than happy to provide it.

I also would like to note, that aside from calling Catti a "pedagogue" I didn't call her any other disparaging names and woudln't even dream of some sort of apology for calling me curmudgeon, since I'm not old, not crusty, not ill-tempered, nor mean, nor am I full of resentment. So despite the fact that Woody and Catti, who offered me such title, meant well, it simply doesn't fit, and I can't accept it.

But I, frankly, don't care, the happy camper that I am.

So everything seems to be:

E x c e l l e n t !

<h1 style="margin-bottom: 0px;">

</h1>

...and woudln't even dream of some sort of apology for calling me curmudgeon, since I'm not old, not crusty, not ill-tempered, nor mean, nor am I full of resentment. So despite the fact that Woody and Catti, who offered me such title, meant well, it simply doesn't fit, and I can't accept it.

I didn't call you a "curmudgeon". I don't think it's a word that I've ever used in any situation and I'm not sure I fully know its meaning.

I do however believe that I've called you a "doom-monger", "hectoring", and verging on being a "bully". I also personally believe that your continued posting has a lot more to do with your ego than any concern for LDT. I refer you to your (numerous & long-winded) previous posts for the reasons why.

I know you'll come up with yet another post about this, but to be honest I find you tedious & I've heard it all before, so I'll drop out and let you have the last word. You're obviously not going to stop until you have it.

To any other posters I suggest we all bugger off from this thread and let m3838 rant on to himself.

I didn't call you a "curmudgeon"... I'm not sure I fully know its meaning.

Well, I did indeed call m3838 a curmudgeon (irascible, churlish person). But if he/she would prefer to be called a bully, that's their perogative.

Not that I condone name-calling for the sake of sport, but merely to bring attention to behavioral trends.

m3838-

You seem to have petered-out. While I do not wish to continue to deride your style mercilessly, I feel, by your above post (#136), that you are not a very critical reader, or are simply coy (or maybe a little of both). Anyway, peace to you--I hope you are having some fun..

Edited by catty

Look people.

Yes, Comrade Commissar!

Stephen!

Seen that I have made you so unhappy, and not wanted to, all I can do is to offer my sincere apologies.

I guess I expressed myself a bit wildly from your point of view, for which I would take full responsibility.

Regardless of our disagreements on some petty issues or style, in which such disagreements are expressed,

I'll keep respecting you deeply.

Thanks.