Advice For A Newbie On A Budget

LDT

hey lady d! you got a scarlatti then? how's it sound? :)

I'm still having fun just getting it to make a noise. lol! Although my family keep asking me whether they can have a go. My mums already asked me if I can learn play a tango on it.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still having fun just getting it to make a noise. lol! Although my family keep asking me whether they can have a go. My mums already asked me if I can learn play a tango on it.

a nice noise i hope :)

a nice noise i hope :)

Well I didn't get the usual chorus of 'shut up' I get when I practice playiing the recorder or penny whistle.

Try to find a copy of this book:-

Handbook for Anglo-Chromatic Concertina Specifically aimed at

by Roger Watson the Hohner concertina,

Wise Publications but applicable to other

Distrib. by Music Sales Ltd makes. A bit perfunctory

8/9 Frith Street but covers the essentials.

London W1V 5TZ Good chord list.

England

And if you can't find a copy......get back to me {wink}

Phil

sigh. everyone's a critic aren't they? meanies.

i'm sure you'll be ace in no time at all. can't wait to hear it

here you go:

a nice patchwork quilted bag

I for one will need to see a photograph of the bag.

:) of course.....

England

found it :) ordered it now

Edited by LDT

sigh. everyone's a critic aren't they? meanies.

i'm sure you'll be ace in no time at all. can't wait to hear it

here you go:

a nice patchwork quilted bag

I for one will need to see a photograph of the bag.

:) of course.....

England

found it :) ordered it now

You've got one reed touching the edges of a slot on the pull. You need to send this instrument for some check up. And also, I think you may try to, when pulling, not spread your fingers, but kee the hand in a shape of "dome", slightly touching the buttons. I believe your fingers have to be on top of the buttons at all times, without pressing on them. Well, more or less.

Or possibly a loose reedplate?

There aren't any reedplates on this one. It's reedbanks glued solid to the plywood. It's 30 button one, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if it can be returned? If so, return it with the speed of lighning, you'll save yoursef.

Why do you need yet another defeat?

Or possibly a loose reedplate?
There aren't any reedplates on this one. It's reedbanks glued solid to the plywood.

Misha,

If it doesn't have any reedplates, then it can't have any reeds, and if it doesn't have any reeds, it can't make any sound... :huh:

Oh, ouch! I misread your post as "reedpan". Sorry!

Anyways, a loose reedplate will buzz on both, pull and push, will it not?

... a loose reedplate will buzz on both, pull and push, will it not?

It ain't necessarily so.

you want to know something odd.....

I closed the concertina up completely then opened again and the buzz dissapeared. But then last night it buzzed of a different button.

I seem to have a :o phantom moving buzz.

I thought it was my fault because the first buzz appeared after my scarf got sucked into the bellows a bit. Or that maybe it was the way I was playing.

It's 30 button one, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if it can be returned? If so, return it with the speed of lighning, you'll save your
sef

its got a years garuntee (well that's what it says on the recipt I got it from Hobgoblin) but I have to arrange to go up to London again if I want to take it back. And I can't get there till next month. :(

Edited by LDT

... a loose reedplate will buzz on both, pull and push, will it not?

It ain't necessarily so.

you want to know something odd.....

I closed the concertina up completely then opened again and the buzz dissapeared. But then last night it buzzed of a different button.

I seem to have a :o phantom moving buzz.

I thought it was my fault because the first buzz appeared after my scarf got sucked into the bellows a bit. Or that maybe it was the way I was playing.

It's 30 button one, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder if it can be returned? If so, return it with the speed of lighning, you'll save your
sef

its got a years garuntee (well that's what it says on the recipt I got it from Hobgoblin) but I have to arrange to go up to London again if I want to take it back. And I can't get there till next month. :(

So a good advice would be to call them and tell them you are going to return it next month. So they will consider this as early return. I'm not sure what is their return policy. Guarantee or not, you deal not with factory in China, whose guarantee is worthless, but with a shop in London, with their specific ways of conducting business.

Order Rochelle instead and forget about trouble.

If I'm not mistaken, buzz occures when, either, as Steve pointed out, a reedplate is loose, or a reed tongue is touching the side of a slot. In both ways it is easy to fix, but an instrument must be worthy of doing that. I'm sorry to say, it doesn't sound like yours is such. It does look good though, but who cares?

I'm sorry to say, it doesn't sound like yours is such. It does look good though, but who cares?

:( How sad.

Don't let the curmudgeons bring you down LDT--I'm sure you like your instrument just fine, as of course you should. It takes many years of playing concertina for one to become so curmudgeonly (I guess :unsure:) , so be thankful that you aren't so hard to please yet.

If I'm not mistaken, buzz occures when, either, as Steve pointed out, a reedplate is loose, or a reed tongue is touching the side of a slot.

It's very hard to be sure what's going on without examining the instrument, but as ladydetemps has since said "I closed the concertina up completely then opened again and the buzz dissapeared. But then last night it buzzed of a different button. I seem to have a :o phantom moving buzz", I wonder if it might be the plastic valves that are causing the buzz, and they may simply settle down by themselves... :unsure:

It takes many years of playing concertina for one to become so curmudgeonly (I guess :unsure:) ...

Actually, Misha has only been at it for three years ;) , though I have nearly forty years experience of working on concertinas :( , which has taught me a lot about what does or doesn't work, and what is, or isn't, worthwhile.

The two biggest problems with most of the Chinese concertinas are with quality control and their copying of the typical (and seriously flawed) Bastari/Stagi mechanism described in this post from Rich Morse: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=7753&view=findpost&p=74410

As I always make sure to tell people if they're buying such an instrument from me, the only thing I can guarantee is that the buttons will soon (sometimes very soon!) start disappearing inside the ends when you're playing them, and there is no permanent "fix" for the problem, I think that's only fair (and not remotely curmudgeonly)... :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Chambers