Camera Cases For Concertinas....

Concertina Cases. 30 years I found the perfect answer for my new Anglo. A Samsonite black, hard shelled, plastic case which one would have thought was specifically designed for the purpose.

That is a great suggestion. I have been scanning around for a case for a new Tedrow baritone that is on the way. I had an American Tourister case similar to what you describe up in the attic, that I used for checking firearms on commercial flights. I don't do that anymore and it has been idle for several years.

Got it down and it fits the Rochelle perfect. The Tedrow will be a bit smaller, so it should work just fine. Now off to the Jo-Ann craft store for some diamond pattern foam rubber.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Better clean it - see the terrorist concertina thread !

Edited by spindizzy

There have been people using camera bags as concertina bags for many years now, but I wouldn't be keen on them. Concertinas of English construction really need to be kept in a properly made hard case, with corner blocks to keep the bellows firmly closed when not in use, otherwise you risk damaging your expensive instrument and the bellows may tend to become (somewhat) sprung open. If I want to carry my concertina more easily and less conspicuously, I'd put it, in its case, inside a day bag. That's how Alf Edwards' concertina got carried safely to the 'States and around Seattle a few months ago.

I would also worry that a concertina would be more at risk of being stolen if it appears to be a camera, and I'll quote Simon Thoumire, speaking of the theft of his own instrument (in Scotland!) on that score:

February 4, 2001

Some terrible news from Simon Thoumire (via Ken Coles): "My 56 key Wheatstone tenor treble Aeola (metal ends) was stolen on Sunday 21st January from the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall. The serial no. has fallen off the left side but it is recognisable from the big thumbstraps that are hanging loose from the side and also sweat has tarnished the nickel plate on both sides. Another feature which will tell it apart from any other is that the top 'C' on the right side is an air button.
I think the person that stole it may have thought it was a camera because of the case.
It was stolen from behind my chair as I talked to some friends in the cafeteria. I would appreciate if everybody could look out for this instrument. It is the only instrument I have ever played and I miss it badly."

[My emphasis in red.]

There have been people using camera bags as concertina bags for many years now, but I wouldn't be keen on them. Concertinas of English construction really need to be kept in a properly made hard case, with corner blocks to keep the bellows firmly closed when not in use, otherwise you risk damaging your expensive instrument and the bellows may tend to become (somewhat) sprung open. If I want to carry my concertina more easily and less conspicuously, I'd put it, in its case, inside a day bag. That's how Alf Edwards' concertina got carried safely to the 'States and around Seattle a few months ago.

I would also worry that a concertina would be more at risk of being stolen if it appears to be a camera, and I'll quote Simon Thoumire, speaking of the theft of his own instrument (in Scotland!) on that score:

February 4, 2001

Some terrible news from Simon Thoumire (via Ken Coles): "My 56 key Wheatstone tenor treble Aeola (metal ends) was stolen on Sunday 21st January from the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall. The serial no. has fallen off the left side but it is recognisable from the big thumbstraps that are hanging loose from the side and also sweat has tarnished the nickel plate on both sides. Another feature which will tell it apart from any other is that the top 'C' on the right side is an air button.
I think the person that stole it may have thought it was a camera because of the case.
It was stolen from behind my chair as I talked to some friends in the cafeteria. I would appreciate if everybody could look out for this instrument. It is the only instrument I have ever played and I miss it badly."

[My emphasis in red.]

I don't doubt the truth of what you say Stephen, you have way more experience than me in these matters, but I'd make a couple of comments based on my limited experience and use of the Centon case.

As to support of the concertina. I would infinitely prefer the support provided by the camera case which gently supports on all sides and holds the concertina closed, than a hard case such as my original wheatstone or Lachenal cases, whilst they provide corner blocks, as far as I can see all those do is directly transmit knocks and bumps directly to the body of the instrument. If I were to drop my instruments, I know which case I'd prefer them to be in. A hard clamshell case would be fine but for me that has few advantages over the camera type case.

I'm not sure I understand the camera case = valuable argument. I read up as much as I could on concertina theft both in this forum and elsewhere and as far as I can tell he vast majority of thefts were at sessions and festivals, where the thieves knew exactly what they were stealing. The type of case in most cases was immaterial. Likewise in the street, a clamshell, a camera, a concertina case, all look suitably alluring to a mugger. The answer here has to be disguise or not carrying in areas of risk.

Like all here, I'd be very trepidatious of walking certain areas with any sort of case and would probably use a less valuable looking case where necessary.

As for sessions, festivals etc, frankly I watch my instrument like a hawk. I've not been playing long, and the love affair with the instrument is still strong enough that I could not imagine myself leaving it unattended. All the time I see players leave their instruments - a concertina is portable enough not to leave it.

anyway, just my thoughts. Each to their own.

Concertina Cases. I attach pictures of the case to which I referred under this topic on August 12. Purchased 1979 from a local High Street luggage shop. I have seen nothing similar on the current 'Samsonite' web site. I guess Samsonite were unaware that they were constructing the perfect Concertina case. Such is the superb quality of construction it could well be possible that there are others surviving on the second hand market ?

Am now having trouble attaching the pictures. Have uploaded the file ( two photographs ). They do not appear on the screen.

Help!!! Shall now 'Add Reply' which will probably arrive without pictures ?

Concertina Cases. I attach pictures of the case to which I referred under this topic on August 12. Purchased 1979 from a local High Street luggage shop. I have seen nothing similar on the current 'Samsonite' web site. I guess Samsonite were unaware that they were constructing the perfect Concertina case. Such is the superb quality of construction it could well be possible that there are others surviving on the second hand market ?

Am now having trouble attaching the pictures. Have uploaded the file ( two photographs ). They do not appear on the screen.

No pictures as feared. Would be grateful for advice from someone who knows the answer.

No pictures as feared. Would be grateful for advice from someone who knows the answer.

What would be the score about the nice flight type case that comes on the Boorinwood W15MSc anglo which retails around £200 or less, incl the case. This case is Apr 9.5 Cm sq. x 22Cm internal & has a nice carry handle on top. Should cost around £20.

I would be available in Ireland from Steve. Chambers ( Kilkee ), Steam Boat ( Limerick ), Variety Sounds ( Killarney ) Boorinwood Music. or Rikkis Music ( Edinbrugh )

post-6991-1219510594_thumb.jpg

What would be the score about the nice flight type case that comes on the Boorinwood W15MSc anglo ... This case is Apr 9.5 Cm sq. x 22Cm internal & has a nice carry handle on top. Should cost around £20.

It would be available in Ireland from Steve. Chambers ( Kilkee )...

No it wouldn't... :angry:

You're lying, he said it would! <_<

What would be the score about the nice flight type case that comes on the Boorinwood W15MSc anglo ... This case is Apr 9.5 Cm sq. x 22Cm internal & has a nice carry handle on top. Should cost around £20.

It would be available in Ireland from Steve. Chambers ( Kilkee )...

No it wouldn't... :angry:

You're lying, he said it would! <_<

You see what you got me into John! :(

Unfortunately these cases are the wrong shape, and wrong size, to fit any concertina properly, and certainly too flimsy to be considered "flight cases" - but they are cheap! :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I realise I'm straying a bit from the " I've found a great case (stealthy or otherwise!) for sensible money" point, but for general info. can I mention that I needed a "real" flight case recently and was a bit stumped for a source? I found that Marcus of Tredegar (well known maker/restorer) sold the real Mcoy for £65 (Sidmouth FF - UK). It fitted a 6.5 inch across the flats 50 key instrument perfectly and it is easy to pop some high density, pre-formed foam inserts inside for a more regular sized anglo - just the job if you want rock-solid protection, but keep a close eye on it, of course. like the other members say.

Tony ;)

I'll bring to your attention the choice of the well-dressed concertina-playing traveller featured on the cover of the February 2008 issue of Boston magazine. A tour of the manufacturer's catalogue site reveals a cost of at least $3400 US. I trust that it is a Wheatstone in there!

post-2975-1219621305_thumb.jpg

post-2975-1219621364_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just a big thanks to Simon. I recently purchased the stated camera case. I was a bit skeptical at first because the measurements seemed much smaller than my concertina... but it ends up fitting perfectly, and there are extra pockets, so I can also pack my tuner and field recorder, and there's a space on the front where I can put my "D" whistle, after removing the fipple. I just came back from a session and brought my stuff in this bag, I couldnt be more happy.