Handing Dow Nthe Tunes

Guest Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

Handing down the Tunes : the life and legacy of Tommy McCarthy is a documentary film by Ken Lyman. Ken was working on on the preparation of it at the time Tommy was diagnosed with cancer, he visited locations with Tommy and did a lot of preliminary interviews. Unfortunately Tommy passed away before filming was finished.

Ken has now finished the documentary. A special pre-view for family and friends will be held in September, in Miltown Malbay

I am glad to see this project has come to fruition, Tommy was a lovely man and a lovely musician who left a rich legacy in his own music and that of his family.

Handing down the Tunes : the life and legacy of Tommy McCarthy is a documentary film by Ken Lyman. Ken was working on on the preparation of it at the time Tommy was diagnosed with cancer, he visited locations with Tommy and did a lot of preliminary interviews. Unfortunately Tommy passed away before filming was finished.

Ken has now finished the documentary. A special pre-view for family and friends will be held in September, in Miltown Malbay

I am glad to see this project has come to fruition, Tommy was a lovely man and a lovely musician who left a rich legacy in his own music and that of his family.

I hope this film gets a DVD release in the near future for those of us further afield who would love to see it. Yes, a great musician. The 'Sporting Nell' recording as a treasure.

Alan Caffrey.

• 1 month later...
Guest Peter Laban

I am just back from the pre-view. Ken managed to make a lovely sensitive and moving film. Highly recommended.

Another preview will take place in Dublin on dec 6th at 8.15 during the Breandan Breathnach commerative event in Na Piobairi Uilleann's Headquarters at Henrietta st.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just seen that it's being shown at the London Irish Centre at 8 pm on Sunday 26 October, as part of the 'Return to Camden Town' festival. And there's a workshop with Brid Meaney in the afternoon too - nice timing!