Crabb 40key Anglo Concertina

Basjan

Azalin, the San Fernando sale is a scam! That concertina was sold by Vic Tromp more than a month ago. The picture belongs to Vic because it is a picture of his back yard picnic table.... Vic is a member of the C.net forum.

Basjan, would you have any objection to having my friend, Allan Green, check it out for a visual inspection....Thanks

Edited by Ben Otto

I put the Crabb up for auction on ebay under: Crabb 40key Anglo Concertina. Have a look!

Hi Basjan, Do you have any more details? What key is it in... more photo's etc. It would be great if there was a lot more information on this...

Dave

We live in a small world..."a Glocal world" we all have friends around the world who would be willing to check things out for us...the UK, South Africa, Canada and the U.S.A.. Real sellers have nothing to fear, scammers have a lot to fear.

I will put the first bid in and see what happens ....I have friends in Cape Town who will check the concertina out before any money is exchanged.

I suspect that the key would be C/G.

Edited by Ben Otto

One photo only. A sterile exterior shot.

No internal photos, only one end visible. No peripheral objects (eg table) in the photo (and that should be "in the photo(s)")

Seller with a number instead of a name and zero feedback.

Promoted on this site by a member (Basjan) with no previous comment history, and a sterile profile.

A seller who joined ebay at the same time as Basjan joined this site.

A ridiculously low starting price.

Not one aspect of this listing smells kosher to me.

Is there ANYTHING about this listing which does not set off anyone's "scam antannae"?

Steve, it is always nice to see the reed pan and the action of any concertina. I would love to see if the concertina in question has brass reed frames. Some Crabb concertinas of the late 70's and early 80's had a mixture of brass reed and alluminum reed frames.

Edited by Ben Otto

One photo only. A sterile exterior shot.

No internal photos, only one end visible. No peripheral objects (eg table) in the photo (and that should be "in the photo(s)")

Seller with a number instead of a name and zero feedback.

Promoted on this site by a member (Basjan) with no previous comment history, and a sterile profile.

A seller who joined ebay at the same time as Basjan joined this site.

A ridiculously low starting price.

Not one aspect of this listing smells kosher to me.

Is there ANYTHING about this listing which does not set off anyone's "scam antannae"?

It might well be. The owner joined the board in february, so if it is a scam, it's a good one at least :-)

Basjan,

Potentially, this looks to be a great concertina and I could well be interested in it. However, I would like to know more about it first before even considering putting in a bid. I have already sent a message via Ebay asking about the key of the instrument, but so far have received no reply, which I find a little worrying. I have now asked for further information. Here's my latest set of questions sent via the Ebay message thingy....

Interested in this concertina but I will not bid unless I know more about it. I am still waiting for a reply about which key this instrument is in.

Additionally, please could you tell me whether the third (top) row is in the Wheatstone/Lachenal tuning or the Jeffries tuning? If you do not understand what this means, just let me know what notes are played on both push and pull by the top row buttons on the right-hand side. Thanks.

The instrument looks to be in very good condition. How old is it please? What is its history?

Finally, please can you post some more photos, including the other end, the bellows expanded, and the reed pans of both ends (you will need to remove the ends from the bellows to do this).

Basjan, in the light of some of the concerns of some members of this forum about whether this is a genuine sale, would you care to answer the questions here please? It would help allay our fears.....

Thanks.

Edited by Steve_freereeder

Here are some photos I received from Basjan. The serial number is #18585 I have requested that Basjan add a photo of the reeds and the action.

Edited by Ben Otto

Hi Guys!

I just cancelled the sale of my Crabb on e-bay as I still have not been able to register a reserve price and I feel itchy about the system - especially now that Ben warned me about all the scams.

I'll try to add pictures of the inside of the instrument on this site instead. If I can sort out the problem with e-bay I'll list it again (if I do not sell it in the meantime).

Regards

Basjan