Anahata & Mary - Saddleworth - Dennington Bell And March Of The Me

Very nice. I assume they are playing button accordion and English concertina?

I found the tunes in Paul Hardy's Session Tunebook.

Excellent video! Thanks for the tunes.

I've done a little homework and added a few notes to Hardy's version to make it match the playing in the video:

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/pub/dennington-bell

Mary Humphreys is playing a tenor/treble Wheatstone Aeola. Too dark to see what make /model of melodeon (or button accordion) Anahata is playing in this clip, he has several I believe.

... I'm afraid I wouldn't be gone on the tone of the box myself... :(
each to their own Stephen,I like the tone and find it preferable to a Hohner Pokerwork

Give me a decent full-blooded Hohner Pokerwork (not one of the newer ones) any day thanks, or any button accordion/melodeon that isn't trying (and ultimately failing) to sound like a concertina... :(

His melodeon on the "Nutting Girl" clip sounds a million times nicer to my ears and comes as a welcome respite. :)

And in case you think I'm not serious, this is the one I play:

1930-modelHohnerC-Dpost.jpg

But each to their own, like you say... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I've done a little homework and added a few notes to Hardy's version to make it match the playing in the video:

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/pub/dennington-bell

Thank you Michel for this bit of homework. Taken from your written score, Dennington Bell is (to my ear) one of the couple of dozen or so sweetest tunes of all time.

Hopefully at Christmas (if it isn't too hot & steamy) I'll be able to shanghai a video operator, find a shady tree, & with accompanist, make a nice outdoor video of it.

Your homework has been put to good use here. I am completely & totally incapable of hearing a tune & playing it (playing from ear) I have to battle away for ages from a written score. I am eternally thankful to those who share music on this site, as I hear so many nice tunes, but have not a hope of playing them unless somebody generously makes a written score.

Of the 72 melodies I have memorised on Anglo, Dennington Bell is by far the most violent in the continuous changes of direction it demands. The little muscle above the tricep can only take so many runs through before crying quits.

Mary Humphreys is playing a tenor/treble Wheatstone Aeola. Too dark to see what make /model of melodeon (or button accordion) Anahata is playing in this clip, he has several I believe.

Anahata usually plays an Oakwood melodeon. They are quite small, about the same size as a Castagnari Lily, but very loud. Oakwood have stopped making them as they took too much time to make, so I have been told and decided to focus soley on their stringed instruments.

Chris

• 4 months later...
Too dark to see what make /model of melodeon (or button accordion) Anahata is playing in this clip, he has several I believe.

I think it must be this one:

Hello, just discovered this thread...

Yes, it's the Oakwood as pictured in the message above.

I can't say the sound from a small digicam-with-video on YouTube is a fair representation of anything... but the Oakwood is loud and bright, and in real life several people have commented on how nice it sounds.

I have a Saltarelle also in D/G that I use mostly for song accompaniments, and 1-rows in various keys.

And an Anglo concertina or course - so I am allowed in here !!!

Anahata

Edited by anahata