Folk At The Proms

Guest HallelujahAl!

Folk at the Proms  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest HallelujahAl!

Hi, so Bellowhead at the proms! I've come over all funny...seriously though did anyone catch it? Its still available on iPlayer I believe for a few days. Is this the shape/sound of things to come? Your thoughts would be most interesting...

Hi, so Bellowhead at the proms! I've come over all funny...seriously though did anyone catch it? Its still available on iPlayer I believe for a few days. Is this the shape/sound of things to come? Your thoughts would be most interesting...

I was out cycling with one of my friends, early this month. As it turns out, it was our last ride together, since I was hit by a car, the next day, and have decided to "call it a day" on the cycling front. Anyway, we stopped at a park café, and he picked up a leaflet for me, which he left on the table. About an hour later, having eaten our cakes, drunk our coffees, looked at the photos we had taken, we got up to leave. "Don't you want this?", my friend asked, somewhat disappointed that I had done no more than glance at the title. "No" was my lengthy response, which really sums up my interest in music nowadays.

Reading English Dance & Song, earlier today (if I'm being honest, I was heading for the loo, fancied something to look at, and realised that I had not read the current issue), I noted that the Folk Prom was on, today, and, joy oh joy, I would be missing it. I guess that I'm very much like a traditional musician might have been, in that I don't go seeking out music. However ....... giving traditional music the Bellowhead "treatment" (I've seen some videos on YouTube) does, somehow, appeal to me. Whilst Folk and the Royal Albert Hall don't seem natural bedfellows (real ale in the bars?), I don't see why our traditions, cultures etc., should not receive exposure on the concert platform. I still have fond memories of doing Folk Festivals with the late Roy Guest, and Jim Lloyd at the Fairfield Halls (Croydon), so I know that it can work. I always fancied playing the Royal Albert Hall ........

Dream on ...

Peter.

Guest HallelujahAl!

>>I always fancied playing the Royal Albert Hall ........

Dream on ...

Peter. >>

In my capacity as Salvation Army Officer I have 'played' the Albert Hall - though my musical offereing was slightly different...strangely enough I also did Wembley Arena five years ago (again another army gig) and this November me and some bluegrass buddies are playing Birmingham Symphony hall - wonder what I've got to do to get a set?

On a more serious note, I couldn't agree with you more when you say "Whilst Folk and the Royal Albert Hall don't seem natural bedfellows (real ale in the bars?), I don't see why our traditions, cultures etc., should not receive exposure on the concert platform. "

AL

About time too. As the "experts" on BBC4 pointed out, classical composers have been using traditional melodies for centuries. Anything which gives traditional/folk/call-it-what-you-want music some exposure can only be a good thing. Certainly better than dumbing the Proms down by having Michael Ball singing songs from the shows...

Edited by SteveP

There were actually TWO anglos at the Proms last night. Bella Hardy had a concertina accompanist (and a harp), though I can't remember his name. John Spiers appeared to be using AKG mics like mine!

Very good concert (Martin Simpson was excellent) but the BBC TV broadcast ended before Bellowhead did their encore(s). The radio broadcast the first encore, but I have a suspicion that Bellowhead did more than one! Anyone know?

Chris

Interesting. I've only heard bits of it so far. Missed Bellowhead, though I've got a fair idea of what they sound like from the CD I have. Nice to hear concertina in the shape of Chris Sherburn's sensitive playing.

What I didn't like was the singing. Both Bella Hardy and Martin Simpson have great voices and can use them, but are very stylised in their singing. I've always believed that in a traditional song the words come first and the job of the singer is to put them over to the best of their ability. These two make the words subservient to the arrangements, and that is just wrong for me. They were nice arrangements, though.

Bellowhead: based on what I've heard I'm likely to enjoy what they did a lot, even though I find John Boden's voice not really to my taste ...

Chris

As it turns out, it was our last ride together, since I was hit by a car, the next day, and have decided to "call it a day" on the cycling front.

Hey, mate, are you OK?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well, considering the low speed of the impact, and the fact that I didn't actually break anything, I'm amazed how much "damage" was done; far more than a 30 mph racing crash ten years ago! Two and a half weeks on, I still have bruised hip and pelvis, and, based on previous experience, I expect it to take 12 months before the swelling goes down.

I was more worried about potential damage to my left knee, which got twisted before I "parted" with my bike. Although still having certain discomfort, I'm back to walking almost normally.

Regards,

Peter.

Bad luck, Peter, I thought your postings lately seemed a bit lacking in joie de vivre, so I had already wondered if you had been in the wars a bit. Hope it all settles down quick; damn difficult things, joints. Here's to a speedy and full recovery.

What I didn't like was the singing. Both Bella Hardy and Martin Simpson have great voices and can use them, but are very stylised in their singing. I've always believed that in a traditional song the words come first and the job of the singer is to put them over to the best of their ability. These two make the words subservient to the arrangements, and that is just wrong for me. They were nice arrangements, though.

Chris

I am sure that both Bella and Martin share your belief that the song is more important than the singer. They do have stylised voices but so did many traditional singers. Each of them wrote one of the songs they sang so they have first go at what the style for that one should be. Bella seemed very nervous; she is normally more relaxed and that did affect the voice.

When he played at the CD launch party, Chris Sherburn said that he found it difficult to find the right note to accompany Bella's voice. Many players would pick up a different concertina but he preferred to work it out on his normal instrument.