Playing In Your Mind

I find it almost impossible to speak or to eat whilst playing. I assume that singing whilst playing works because the timing is interlinked.

Singing while eating, on the other hand....

I find it hard to hold a sandwich and play concertina at the same time, but I've been known to take a drink while playing the bones. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a musician friend joke about the 'concertina players vacant stare' in the context of all that pushign and pulling and squeezing...well, you get the idea. Then he said, "seriously, you concertina players just 'go away' when you play."

If I'm not staring intently at "dots" I'm sure I stare vacantly as well.

I started this discussion talking about a tune I had been practicing " It`s a sin to tell a lie" arranged by Iris Bishop a fantastic duet player.I am pleased to tell you all, that today I recorded it and four other tunes which should be on my web site before the weekend.I must admit with all this hype I am a bit nervous and I really hope you all enjoy it. You will be interested to know it was first take, so a bit of three oclock in the morning mind practice helped in this case.There is also a Jig,Polka,Waltz and three part Mazurka.

I will post that the tunes are on my site in the tune section,when Jeremy(My son) has put them on there.

Al

I've had a musician friend joke about the 'concertina players vacant stare' in the context of all that pushign and pulling and squeezing...well, you get the idea. Then he said, "seriously, you concertina players just 'go away' when you play."

How can you tell if the floor is level?

The drool runs out of both sides of the concertinaists mouth.

Rob wrote: So, how about it, you readers of dots, Do you experience printed music the same way as printed text? And the "Listeners: how's your facility for spelling?

Yes, a lot of the time I do experience printed music the same way. However I have been reading music all my life, and so I've had a lot of practice :)

I used to have a lot of trouble with spelling, but it has improved in the last couple of years.

As for the 'concertina players vacant stare', I have always had a general "musicians vacant stare", regardless of what instrument I was playing. :huh:

For me, learning my ear is a slow process, although every now and then I find a wonderful tunes that just seems to leap into the fingers very quickly [how I long for more of those :lol: ]

Certainly if I can get the tune "into my head" it's a lot easier to get it into the fingers :)

Cheers

Morgana

Well, Morgana,

I have been reading music forever also. I think it is so easy to do by now, that learning by ear is tedious by comparison. Still want to learn by ear, but gonna be really slow.

Hope the lessons are still loads of fun.

Just know Jim is gonna tease you about "learning my ear" but maybe he is sleeping right now.

Go look at your ear and then go have some fun. I was gonna say go to bed, but that is my time. You are probably just getting up.

Helen

I guess that means our worlds are topsy turvey.

Helen wrote: I have been reading music forever also. I think it is so easy to do by now, that learning by ear is tedious by comparison. Still want to learn by ear, but gonna be really slow.

I think it also depends on your method of learning by ear. I like to listen to a recording over and over (and over and over...) until I am familiar with the tune. Then, if possible, I burn an mpg of the tune so I can slow it down in one of my computer programs, learn it phrase by phrase.

I don't think that learning by ear is tedious; just different. But then I do a lot of it these days, so I guess it's what you are used to. :)

Hope the lessons are still loads of fun.

I am having a ball! I shall sorely miss them when Martha leaves.

I was gonna say go to bed, but that is my time. You are probably just getting up.

Yep it's tomorrow already (as Aus is ahead of the US in world time zones :) )

Sleep well,

Morgana :D

Just know Jim is gonna tease you about "learning my ear"....

Naw, I enjoy language errors when they can be humorous. Like my Danish friend who emailed that she might "pub by to share a bear" with me. She meant "pop by to share a beer", but her way was so much more descriptive, especially since there's a local strong beer known as "bjørn" (which means "bear").

Besides, ears can be found in many contexts. Out my window I look across "Øresund", which means "Ear Sound" (the kind of sound that's a body of water, but in English we get an extra pun). And I live in "Helsingør", which means "Greeting Ear". (It's on a small, blunt peninsula that somebody must have thought resembled an ear.)

............:)

Hey Morgana,

I meant "tedious" for me to learn by ear, not the normal world. But I have been hearing songs and tunes, especially at night, now that I play so much piano accordion. Or now that Alan Day has jinxed me.

Yes, Jim, misplacing words can be a lot of fun. I liked the pub by to share a bear a lot.

And just how many languages do you speak? I was gonna italicize the "do" but couldn't figure out how to do that? Can't play by ear, can't italicize, truly a limited whatever today.

Helen