Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

Here's a tune I'm enjoying playing at the moment. I found it written in the key of D but every C in it was an accidental natural, I have therefore taken the liberty of writing it in the key of D Mixolydian which only has one sharp.

X:1

T:Tatter Jack Walsh

Q:3/8=100

R:jig

M:6/8

L:1/8

K:D mix

a/g/ | fef ded | cAB c2 d | cBA GFG | Add d2 e | fef ded |

cAB c2 d | cBA GFG | Add d2 :: A | dfa afd | dfa a2 f | gef ged |

cef g2 e | {g}fef ded | cAB c2 d | cBA GFG | Add d2 :|

Here it is in the original key signature:

K:D

a/g/ | fef ded | =cAB c2 d | =cBA GFG | Add d2 e | fef ded |

=cAB c2 d | =cBA GFG | Add d2 :: A | dfa afd | dfa a2 f | gef ged |

=cef g2 e | {g}fef ded | =cAB c2 d | =cBA GFG | Add d2 :|

Here's a tune I'm enjoying playing at the moment. I found it written in the key of D but every C in it was an accidental natural, I have therefore taken the liberty of writing it in the key of D Mixolydian which only has one sharp.

I have a note of that in Dmix, but there are some variations:

X: 10735

D:Gerry O'Connor

Z:id:hn-jig-153

K:Dmix

~f3 ded|cAB c2A|dcA GFG|Add efg|

fef ded|cAB c2A|dcA GFG|1 Ad^c d2e:|2 Ad^c d2A||

|:dfa afd|dfa a2f|~g3 gag|e^cd efg|

fgf ded|cAB c2A|dcA GFG|1 Ad^c d2A:|2 Ad^c d3||

"Variations:"

|:faf ded|cAB cde|dcA GFG|Add efg|

fdd ded|cAB c2e|dcA GFG|1 Ad^c d2e:|2 Ad^c d2A||

dfa dfa|dfa agf|~g3 gag|e^cd e2g|f/g/af ded|cAB cde|dcA GFG|Ad^c d2A||

dfa afa|dfa afa|~g3 gag|gef gfg|afd fed|cAB cde|dcA GFG|Ad^c d3||

regards

John

Here's a jig with a very tricky rhythm. They don't write 'em like this any more!

T:Maidstone Hall

C:Bishop 1788

N:Longways for three couples

K:A

c/d/ | "A"ecA "D"afd | "A"c2 A-A2 c/A/ | "Bm"F B2-BdB | "E"G2 E-"E7"E2 c/d/ | "A"ecA "D"afd |

"A"c2 A-A2 c/A/ | "Bm"FdB "E7"Gec | "A"A2 A, A,2 :: G/A/ | "E"B2 E-E2 d/B/ | "A"c2 A-A2 e/c/ |

"E7"dbd "A"cac | "E"B2 E-E2 e | "D"f2 D-"Bm"D2 f/a/ | "E"g2 E-"E7"E2 g/b/ | "A"aec "E7"dBG | "A"A2 A, A,2 :|

what is the official key name for three sharpes?

Well..., that depends... (there would be a total of seven "modes" in any case).

This one is written in the key of "A", as you may read following the "K:" (for "key" :) ) just before the first note (and it sounds like that indeed).

Means "A major" or "A Ionian".

yikes; three sharpes...that will make me think really hard; what is the official key name for three sharpes? more music basics for me. Michelle (will it play on tune-o-trone? for hints)

It's in the key of A major and yes the Tune-O-Tron will play it quite happily but here it is in both Gmaj and Dmaj although then you are either playing down in the dungeons or up at the dusty end!

K:Gmaj

B/2c/2 | "G"dBG "C"gec | "G"B2 G-G2 B/2G/2 | "Am"E A2-AcA | "D"F2 D-"D7"D2 B/2c/2 | "G"dBG "C"gec |

"G"B2 G-G2 B/2G/2 | "Am"EcA "D7"FdB | "G"G2 G, G,2 :: F/2G/2 | "D"A2 D-D2 c/2A/2 | "G"B2 G-G2 d/2B/2 |

"D7"cac "G"BgB | "D"A2 D-D2 d | "C"e2 C-"Am"C2 e/2g/2 | "D"f2 D-"D7"D2 f/2a/2 | "G"gdB "D7"cAF | "G"G2 G, G,2 :|

K:Dmaj

f/2g/2 | "D"afd "G"d'bg | "D"f2 d-d2 f/2d/2 | "Em"B e2-ege | "A"c2 A-"A7"A2 f/2g/2 | "D"afd "G"d'bg |

"D"f2 d-d2 f/2d/2 | "Em"Bge "A7"caf | "D"d2 D D2 :: c/2d/2 | "A"e2 A-A2 g/2e/2 | "D"f2 d-d2 a/2f/2 |

"A7"ge'g "D"fd'f | "A"e2 A-A2 a | "G"b2 G-"Em"G2 b/2d'/2 | "A"c'2 A-"A7"A2 c'/2e'/2 | "D"d'af "A7"gec | "D"d2 D D2 :|

OK, the Gmaj I like better than the D--D gets too high; this is a hoot of a tune. I love how it slingshots down to those low notes. (I think I'm a baritone gal at heart.....) I alternated all weekend between Air for Maurice Ogg/ Jumping Jack, and this new Maidstone Hall. And thanks for extending my music theory you guys! Michelle

Edited by shelly0312

I came across this tune today, it's uncannily like The Banks of the Dee in a minor sort of way.

T:Trip to Canterbury, A

C:L. Lavenu 1798

N:Longways Duple Minor

A | "D"A>Bc d>ef | "Em"g>ba "A"gfe | "Bm"fdB "D"Add | "A7"f>gf "D"d2 A | "D"A>Bc "Bm"d>ef |

"Em"g>ba "A"g>fe | "Bm"fdB "D"Add | "A7"f>ge "D"d2 :: g | "D"f2 g a3 | "G"{c'}b2 g "D"afd |

"D"f>ga "G"b>c'd' | "E7"ded "A"cBA | "G"Gbg "D"Faf | "Em"e>de "Bm"f>dB | "G"{e}dcB "D"Aa"G"g | "A7"f>ge "D"d2 :|

I came across this tune today, it's uncannily like The Banks of the Dee in a minor sort of way.

T:Trip to Canterbury, A

C:L. Lavenu 1798

N:Longways Duple Minor

A | "D"A>Bc d>ef | "Em"g>ba "A"gfe | "Bm"fdB "D"Add | "A7"f>gf "D"d2 A | "D"A>Bc "Bm"d>ef |

"Em"g>ba "A"g>fe | "Bm"fdB "D"Add | "A7"f>ge "D"d2 :: g | "D"f2 g a3 | "G"{c'}b2 g "D"afd |

"D"f>ga "G"b>c'd' | "E7"ded "A"cBA | "G"Gbg "D"Faf | "Em"e>de "Bm"f>dB | "G"{e}dcB "D"Aa"G"g | "A7"f>ge "D"d2 :|

Sounds just like Banks of the Dee - but a bit higher up!

This is pretty much the version that I play

X: 1

T:Banks of the Dee2

Q:100

C:Banks of the Dee

R:JIg

O:England

A:Staffordshire

K:G

D|DEF GAB|ced cBA|BGE Ddc|Bcc G2D|!

DEF GAB|ced cBA|BGE Ddc|B>cAG2:|!

|:B|Bcd d2d|e2e dBG|Bcd efg|GAG FED|!

cec BdB|AGA BGE|GFE Ddc|B>eB|G2:|]

Here's a showpiece tune that I used to play, a nice one for practicing triplets, and low G# and C# fingerings. I remembered this one after the thread on Random (Notes/Jig), since I learnt them both around the same time and they';re close together in the music folder. I haven't played either much for a while, since they aren't session tunes locally, but this is fun. Enjoy! X: 1 T:Pansy Blossom, The [1] M:C| L:1/8 R:Hornpipe S:O'Neill - Music of Ireland (1903), No. 1667 Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion K:A c>d | (3eae (3cec (3AcA E2 | C>EA>c e>cA>c | (3dfd (3cec (3BcB A2 | (3GAB (3AGF E2 c>d | (3eae (3cec (3AcA E2 | C>EA>c d>ef>g | (3agf (3edc (3fed (3cBA | (3GAB (3EFG A2 :: B>c | d>BG>B E>GB>c | d>BG>B d2 c>d | e>c (3AcA E>Ac>d | e>c (3Ace a2 g>a | (3fgf (3efe (3ded (3cdc | B>cd>e f>ef>g | (3agf (3edc (3fed (3cBA | (3GAB (3EFG A2 :|

After the discussion in another thread, I've added a pdf of the score. I read music and can see the point in displaying something here that I would guess the majority of tune learners can read enough to see if they'd like to try it, But I do like the small size and handiness of ABC notation. Coming from an age of SLOW dialup modems and limited storage space, the pdf is approx 20 times larger than the ABC. I can cut and paste the ABC into a variety of applications with the sweep of a mouse to produce a clean score in whatever size and shape I need.

A jpg or a gif of a score can be huge and still not sharp, especially if not made with care. I often find that I have to transcribe these offerings to make them more readable (I use Noteworthy notation software to create scores)

4e72680f57628.pdf

Edited by spindizzy

You've confused me now Chris. When you mentioned low G# and C# I was thinking the sharp above middle C on the left hand (^C)and the sharp one semitone higher than the lowest note on a treble concertina (^G,). The G# and c# within the stave are a doddle! ;)

You've confused me now Chris. When you mentioned low G# and C# I was thinking the sharp above middle C on the left hand (^C)and the sharp one semitone higher than the lowest note on a treble concertina (^G,). The G# and c# within the stave are a doddle! ;)

There are some phrases that I find a personal challenge.

The middle C# on the left hand is a bit of a stretch, and for the G# (on the stave) there is one phrase where it works better to play the Left hand G# but another is easier if I use the right hand Aflat ... so I have to practice getting them right !

Chris

I must admit that middle C# is a pain (for some reason), you could always cheat and play it in G. ;)

T:Pansy Blossom [G], The

M:4/4

R:Hornpipe

S:O'Neill - Music of Ireland (1903), No. 1667

Z:AK/Fiddler's Companion

K:Gmaj

B>c | (3dgd (3BdB (3GBG D2 | B,>DG>B d>BG>B | (3cec (3BdB (3ABA G2 |

(3FGA (3GFE D2 B>c | (3dgd (3BdB (3GBG D2 | B,>DG>B c>de>f |

(3gfe (3dcB (3edc (3BAG | (3FGA (3DEF G2 :: A>B | c>AF>A D>FA>B |

c>AF>A c2 B>c | d>B (3GBG D>GB>c | d>B (3GBd g2 f>g | (3efe (3ded (3cdc (3BcB |