Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

The Snowy path is a lovely tune! Basket making? I thought you were a hand loom weaver or are you a general purpose crafts person? My good lady wife is into 'big knitting' (you must have spotted this at a Craft Show?) Knitting with needles over a inch in diameter is not for the faint hearted!

The Snowy path is a lovely tune! Basket making? I thought you were a hand loom weaver or are you a general purpose crafts person? My good lady wife is into 'big knitting' (you must have spotted this at a Craft Show?) Knitting with needles over a inch in diameter is not for the faint hearted!

OT :-) (or maybe i should post the weavers HP)

Yes I'm now mostly a loom weaver, I can't really do willow basketry much now since my hands give up on me. I can make the occasional shopper but wrestling with heavy willow for log baskets is a thing of the past :-(

(Big knitting is fun ... or broomstick crochet)

Chris

Edited by spindizzy

The hornpipe obsession is back (it's never far away to be honest!) You can get a real bounce to this one if you keep the speed down.

X:1
T:George Green's Slow College Hornpipe
M:4/4
L:1/8
R:Hornpipe
Q:"Steady on there! "1/4=125
K:G
(3DEF|: G>BA>G F2 (3DEF|G>BA>G F2d2|c>BA>G F>DE>F|A>GF>E D2 (3DEF|
G>BA>G F2 (3DEF|G>BA>G F2d2|c>BA>G F>DE>F|1 G2 B2 G2 (3DEF:|2 G2B2 G4|
|: B2d2 B2d2|e>dc>B A4|c>BA>G F>DE>F|A>GF>E D2 (3DEF|
G>BA>G F2 (3DEF |G>BA>G F2d2|c>BA>G F>DE>F|1 G2B2 G4 :|2 G2B2G2||
Edited by tallship

More snow. This is just about the wackiest slip jig ever.

X:1
T:The Traveller benighted in snow
T:Siubhal an t-sneachd tra oidhche
S:Simon Fraser Collection
M:9/8
L:1/8
K:C Minor
g/>f/|e2d/c/ c>BG BFB,|ecc cGc e2g|fdB  bag  fdB/c//d//|e>dc Gc=B  c2:|
E/D/ |Cce    Cce  BFB,|Cce cGc e2g|e<ge d<bg fdB/c//d//|e>dc Gc=B   c2
E/D/ |Cce    Cce  BFB,|Cce cGc e2g|Eeg  DBf  B,Bd      |e>fg G,C=B, C2|]

X:4
T:Kar mi yagdi Kutahya'nin dagina?
T:Did it snow on the mountain of Kutahya?
S:Hamdi Tanses, Zeybekler ve Ege-Akdeniz Turkuleri
G:song with saz accompaniment
L:1/16
Q:3/8=60
K:ADor
g2gf e2d2 dccB AGA2A2|
g2gf e2d2 dccB AGA2A2|
dccB A2Bd dccB AGA2A2|
M:7/8
c3B  BAA2 AccBBA|
  G2BA    cc/d/cB    BAA2       A4     z2 |
  g2g2    f2a2       g2f/e/f/g/ e4     ed |
|:d4      dgfg       a2g/a/g/a/ fg e2(3dcd|
  edcd    d/c/B/c/dB AA3        AcBABA    |
  d2c/B/c B2A2       A8                z2:|

Ancient Ottoman version, with dancing and spoons (more useful for the general feel than any musical details):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpItgSCICYA

Edited by Jack Campin

Bad weather's a great excuse for experimenting with new tunes, I'm trying to play along to Eric Theze's Valse au pauvre Charlie tombe dans la gouttiere after an afternoon of mangling La Cumparsita :D

Very Beautiful tune and well executed!

rss

playing along to Eric Theze's recordings is great practice, much better than trying to pick up a tune just from the dots ......now if only my own attempts matched his I'd be more than happy :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am always doing this concertina futzing stuff later at night than I should be--so when things don't "work" I just assign it to me being too dopey to do it correctly. But this is the second time that I have tried to translate George Green's Slow College Hornpipe to dots on the tune-a-tron; it comes out looking different than usual--like double spaced--and then there is a blank page for the actual translation, and same blank page for PDF. I am sad as I also really enjoy hornpipes and take any coming my way. Help me folks, what I am I doing incorrectly?? All other tunes are tranlating fine. ????

I am always doing this concertina futzing stuff later at night than I should be--so when things don't "work" I just assign it to me being too dopey to do it correctly. But this is the second time that I have tried to translate George Green's Slow College Hornpipe to dots on the tune-a-tron; it comes out looking different than usual--like double spaced--and then there is a blank page for the actual translation, and same blank page for PDF. I am sad as I also really enjoy hornpipes and take any coming my way. Help me folks, what I am I doing incorrectly?? All other tunes are tranlating fine. ????

Sorry for the slow response Michelle! The Tune-O-Tron converts it to staff notation fine for me, but today it won't make midi files. It would seem that the whole concertina.net site is under constant and relentless attack by spammers and there must be times when Paul despairs of carrying on with it. :(

Why don't you try using the converter at O'Regan's? which works fine.

Pete ;)

Sorry for the slow response Michelle! The Tune-O-Tron converts it to staff notation fine for me, but today it won't make midi files.

If you're talking about making midi files from GG's SCH, try taking out the "Steady on there!" notation on the tempo line. I found that I couldn't generate a midi with it in, but could when I cleaned that out. I expect the computer is reading the tempo line to try to guess how fast to play the midi, but can't make heads or tails of the transcriber's wit.