"A"Aee e2"^(G)"f|"A"(3gag ec2B|"G"A^GA "A"^AB=G|"D"F3 "A"F2G|

"D"Aff f2e|"A"e2d "D"dc"^©"^B|"G"B^AB dc"Em"B|"D"A3 [F2f2]"^(E)"[Ge]|\

"A"Aee e2"^(G)"f|"A"(3gag e c2B|"G"A^GA "A"^ABc|"D"d3 ||"C"d2c|

"G"Bdd G2B|dBd "C"edB|"D"A2d FAA|dAd "G"fed|\

"A"cgg gee|ecc "Em"c=cB|"D"Aff fee|"A"edd "C"dc=c|

"G"Bdd G2B|dBd "C"edB|"D"A2d FAA|dBd "B"fed|\

"A"cgg gee|ecc c=cB|"G"A^GA "A"^ABc|"D"d3|]

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to jump in early (monday!) with this one. A lovely tune that I've just been given to learn. (DOes anyone know it by another name - I can't find it online anywhere)

X:1

T: Diamond Waltz

M: 3/4

L: 1/8

Z: From Rob Fawcett

K: D

AG| F2 d3 F | G3 B AG | FAdefg | a2 f3 d | B3 c d2 |

A2 d2 F2 | G2 E3 F | G3 E AG | F2 d3 F | G3 B AG |

FAdefg | a2 f3 d | B3 c d2 | A2 d2 (3EFG | F2D3 D |[1 D4 :|[2 D3 E FG

|: A2 a3 a | a4 ga | b2 e3 e | e4 ag |

fgabaf |gf e3 d | c2 A3 B | A3 G FG |[1 A2 a3a |

a3 b/a/ ga | b2 e3 e | e4 fe | d3 c A2 | G2 F2 G2 |

A2 d3 d | d3 G FG :|[2 ADFAde | fgabaf |

bg e2 e2 | e4 fe| d3 c A2 | G2 F2 G2 | A2 d3 d | d4 ||

edited to follow the tips given below for repeats etc.

ps the in the Bpart the repeats only show to the end of the line in the Tne-a Tron. I thought the ABC was OK but perhaps I should phrase it differently.

Edited by spindizzy

ps the in the Bpart the repeats only show to the end of the line in the Tne-a Tron. I thought the ABC was OK but perhaps I should phrase it differently.

The end of the repeat is "open" (there is never a line down to the end bar of the repeat). I think that is standard in notation where repeats go across multiple lines...

The end of the repeat is "open" (there is never a line down to the end bar of the repeat). I think that is standard in notation where repeats go across multiple lines...

Ok - perhaps the notation is OK , but the midi version plays like the section just runs to the end of the line.

Ok - perhaps the notation is OK , but the midi version plays like the section just runs to the end of the line.

Apparently the midi players don't like using ||: for a repeat. They expect |: I changed that and things played right in EasyABC (which uses abc2midi), but the Tune-o-tron still has difficulties with it. I suspect an error in the midi player there?? Can someone check?? I also changed a couple of note durations to make measures come out to 3 quarter notes. Better check to see that I guessed right..

T: Diamond Waltz

M: 3/4

L: 1/8

Z: From Rob Fawcett

AG| F2 d3 F | G3 B AG | FAdefg | a2 f3 d | B3 c d2 |

A2 d2 F2 | G2 E3 F | G3 E AG | F2 d3 F | G3 B AG |

FAdefg | a2 f3 d | B3 c d2 | A2 d2 (3EFG | F2D3 D |[1 D4 :|

|[2 D2 D2 FG |: A2 a3a | a4 ga | b2 e3 e | e4 ag |

fgabaf |gf e3 d | c2 A3 B | A3 G FG |[1 A2 a3a |

a3 b/a/ ga | b2 e3 e | e4 fe | d3 c A2 | G2 F2 G2 |

A2 d3 d | d3 G FG :|[2 ADFAde | fgabaf |

bg e2 e2 | e4 fe| d3 c A2 | G2 F2 G2 | A2 d3 d | d4 ||

Apparently the midi players don't like using ||: for a repeat. They expect |:

Correct. " ||: " is not accepted in either the abc 1.6 standard that most midi players are written to or the newer abc 2.1 standard. The only legal repeats are " |: " , " :| " , and " :: " .

I changed that and things played right in EasyABC (which uses abc2midi), but the Tune-o-tron still has difficulties with it. I suspect an error in the midi player there?? Can someone check??

Again, the problem is not the player but your interpretation of the rules. Both the old and new abc standards require that the header end with the K: field. You have a Z: field after the K: field. Put it before the K: field and everything should be fine.

Apparently the midi players don't like using ||: for a repeat. They expect |: I changed that and things played right in EasyABC (which uses abc2midi), but the Tune-o-tron still has difficulties with it. I suspect an error in the midi player there?? Can someone check?? I also changed a couple of note durations to make measures come out to 3 quarter notes. Better check to see that I guessed right..

|[2 D2 D2 FG |: A2 a3a | a4 ga | b2 e3 e | e4 ag |

ABC Navigator doesn't like the "|[2" it's OK with just "[2"

and this bar should have read "[2 D3 E FG" (I've corrected my original)

well spotted that I had 3.5 beats to this bar! (and in the ist ending of the B part)

This is how I'd set it out. Aligning beats and phrases makes it easier to check you've got it right.

T:Diamond Waltz
Z:From Rob Fawcett
M:3/4
L:1/8
Q:3/4=60
  AG|F2 d3  F|G3  B    AG |FA de fg|   a2 f3d|
     B3  c d2|A2 d2    F2 |G2 E3  F|   G3  E
     B3 c d2 |A2 d2  (3EFG|F2 D3  D|[1 D4   :|\
                                    [2 D2 D2||
  FG|A2 a3  a|a4       ga |b2 e3  e|   e4
  ag|fg ab af|gf e3     d |c2 A3  B|   A3  G
[1 FG|A2 a3  a|a3  b/a/ ga |b2 e3  e|   e4
  fe|d3  c A2|G2 F2    G2 |A2 d3  d|   d3  G:|
[2 FG|AD FA de|fg ab    af |bg e2 e2|   e4
  fe|d3  c A2|G2 F2    G2 |A2 d3  d|   d4   |]

This is how I'd set it out. Aligning beats and phrases makes it easier to check you've got it right.

T:Diamond Waltz
Z:From Rob Fawcett
M:3/4
L:1/8
Q:3/4=60
     B3  c d2|A2 d2    F2 |G2 E3  F|   G3  E
     B3 c d2 |A2 d2  (3EFG|F2 D3  D|[1 D4   :|\
                                    [2 D2 D2||
  FG|A2 a3  a|a4       ga |b2 e3  e|   e4
  ag|fg ab af|gf e3     d |c2 A3  B|   A3  G
[1 FG|A2 a3  a|a3  b/a/ ga |b2 e3  e|   e4
  fe|d3  c A2|G2 F2    G2 |A2 d3  d|   d3  G:|
[2 FG|AD FA de|fg ab    af |bg e2 e2|   e4
  fe|d3  c A2|G2 F2    G2 |A2 d3  d|   d4   |]

Phwoar!!!!!!!!!!! That was fast (the playing speed) Jack! (I supposee I should change coded speed) and why does the midi quit playing half way through the dots?

When I open midi with its new slimline white line layout there does not seem to be anyway to slow it down as in old Media Player.

I tried to upload latest VLC last month but it jumps and gawd knows wot else so I have removed it completely.

I am also having trouble with the hi-res Canon video files from Whitby - (yeah u are going to just get sound only) they are in .mov which is a Mac format and I have not worked out how to convert without paying for a converter and even then you have to play em on a v powerful PC or they jump too...

Edited by Kautilya

Apparently the midi players don't like using ||: for a repeat. They expect |:

Correct. " ||: " is not accepted in either the abc 1.6 standard that most midi players are written to or the newer abc 2.1 standard. The only legal repeats are " |: " , " :| " , and " :: " .

I changed that and things played right in EasyABC (which uses abc2midi), but the Tune-o-tron still has difficulties with it. I suspect an error in the midi player there?? Can someone check??

Again, the problem is not the player but your interpretation of the rules. Both the old and new abc standards require that the header end with the K: field. You have a Z: field after the K: field. Put it before the K: field and everything should be fine.

Well, it wasn't me that had the original problem, but I certainly should have noticed that Z: field. Must have been sleepy...which I am now....

But I checked Jack's ABC and mine without the offending Z: field and neither played right in Tune-O-tron... I still wonder about an error there.....

Edited by cboody

That's excellent - thanks Jack. (I can't even get it to layout like that in my reply!)

Different ABC interfaces all seem to have their idiosyncracies ....ABC Navigator is fine with the speed, but takes exception to the "\" line break

B3 c d2 |A2 d2 (3EFG|F2 D3 D|[1 D4 :|\

Kautilya, this may be what's causing your playback to stop halfway.

Chris

ps and thanks for someone saying it was a nice tune - we've got a bit sidetracked with the notation and sort of forgotten thatsmile.gif

But I checked Jack's ABC and mine without the offending Z: field and neither played right in Tune-O-tron... I still wonder about an error there.....

While not technically against the rules, there are a couple of things in the abc that stretch things to the point where it might be reasonably misinterpreted by the software. I removed the backslash and line break after the A section 1st ending, so the 2nd ending followed on the same line and the Tune-o-Tron player got through that barrier OK, but played the B section as if there were no 1st and 2nd ending markings, that is, it played everything (in the B section) up to the repeat twice and then it played the 2nd ending. Moving things around so that the 1st and 2nd endings didn't start in the middle of a measure didn't fix that problem. Getting rid of the line breaks in the middle of the unusually long 1st and 2nd endings also did not solve the problem, but I suspect it has something to do with the length of the 1st ending.

While not technically against the rules, there are a couple of things in the abc that stretch things to the point where it might be reasonably misinterpreted by the software. I removed the backslash and line break after the A section 1st ending, so the 2nd ending followed on the same line and the Tune-o-Tron player got through that barrier OK, but played the B section as if there were no 1st and 2nd ending markings, that is, it played everything (in the B section) up to the repeat twice and then it played the 2nd ending. Moving things around so that the 1st and 2nd endings didn't start in the middle of a measure didn't fix that problem. Getting rid of the line breaks in the middle of the unusually long 1st and 2nd endings also did not solve the problem, but I suspect it has something to do with the length of the 1st ending.

Interesting. My version does not have the line break issue nor the backslash. Tune-O-Tron plays the A section fine and then skips directly to the second ending of the B section which it plays one time and then it stops.

Interesting. My version does not have the line break issue nor the backslash. Tune-O-Tron plays the A section fine and then skips directly to the second ending of the B section which it plays one time and then it stops.

maybe we should move this this set of posts into a new thread about ABC notation!