Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

That's a tough one Steve!

This week for the first time ever I learned to play a tune by ear, I knew the basic tune well enough but couldn't remember the name of it to look up the dots, so I just picked up the melodeon (eek!) found the starting note and I was away!

An amazing Youtube video was the reason I had the tune stuck in my head: Hammersmith Morris - The Jubilee.

I eventually figured out that the tune is The Oyster Girl, it's fun, give it a go!

X:1

T:Oyster Girl

R:Jig

M:6/8

Q:3/8=110

K:G

d|ded B2G|A2F D2D|G2G BGB|d2c ABc|\

ded B2g|f2e c2e|d2B cBA|G3 G2 :|

|:A|Bcd Bcd|e2c e2c|ABc ABc|d2B d2B|\

ded B2g|f2e c2e|d2B cBA|G3 G2:|

Edited by tallship

That's a tough one Steve!

This week for the first time ever I learned to play a tune by ear, I knew the basic tune well enough but couldn't remember the name of it to look up the dots, so I just picked up the melodeon (eek!) found the starting note and I was away!

An amazing Youtube video was the reason I had the tune stuck in my head: Hammersmith Morris - The Jubilee.

I eventually figured out that the tune is The Oyster Girl, it's fun, give it a go!

d|ded B2G|A2F D2D|G2G BGB|d2c ABc|\

ded B2g|f2e c2e|d2B cBA|G3 G2 :|

|:A|Bcd Bcd|e2c e2c|ABc ABc|d2B d2B|\

ded B2g|f2e c2e|d2B cBA|G3 G2:|

There is also a three-part version.

X: 2

T:Oyster girl 48

L:1/8

d|\ded B2G|A2F D2D|G2G BGB|d2c ABc|\

ded B2g|f2e c2e|ded cAF|G3 G2 :|

|:A|Bcd Bcd|e2c e2c|ABc ABc|d2B dBc|\

ded B2g|f2e c2e|ded cAF|G3 G2:|

|:B2c|ded B2d|g3g fg|a2AA2B| c3 A2B| cdc A2c| f3f e|e2d G2A|B3 B2c| ded B2

d| g3gfg|a2ba2g|e3e3|fgf e2d|c'2a f2e|ded e2 f|g3|

Though the two-part version is more commonly played at sessions.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

There is also a three-part version.

X: 2

T:Oyster girl 48

ded B2g|f2e c2e|ded cAF|G3 G2 :|

|:A|Bcd Bcd|e2c e2c|ABc ABc|d2B dBc|\

ded B2g|f2e c2e|ded cAF|G3 G2:|

Though the two-part version is more commonly played at sessions.

Chris

Thank you. That third part really transforms that tune into something special.

I makes me wonder what else I'm missing. Are there other Part 3's out there for common tunes that I need to know about?

That third part has mistakes I can't see how to fix (bars the wrong length) - got a more proofread version?

I think I cleaned it up. I made a few minor changes as well:

X: 28

ded B2g|f2e c2e|ded cBA|G3 G2 :|

|:D|Bcd Bcd|e2c e2c|ABc ABc|d2B dBc|\

ded B2g|f2e c2e|ded cBA|G3 G2:|

Edit: Well, I thought I did, but I'm not sure why I'm seeing a smilie face in the middle of the song?

Edited by cjmiller

Edit: Well, I thought I did, but I'm not sure why I'm seeing a smilie face in the middle of the song?

That's the Cnet text editor having its little joke, still catches me out every now and then.

It's seeing a combination of characters in your abc that match the shortcuts for one of the built-in smileys and .. converting it into a smiley.

Post your abc within a code block (by using the code snippet icon on the editor toolbar) and your abc will appear pristine and smiley-free.

I think it was Flowers & Frolics who brought the 3-part Oyster Girl to wider attention: it certainly causes some, er, jazz harmonies in sessions, when the North-West Morris people are playing the two-part version and the English Country Music people are trying to play the 3-part ...

That third part has mistakes I can't see how to fix (bars the wrong length) - got a more proofread version?

I think I cleaned it up. I made a few minor changes as well:

X: 28

You need to go into Options and uncheck the box 'Enable emoticons' because :D prints a smiley! My version has no such smiley ;-)

This lovely French tune has been earworming me for days. The original is in Am but I've transposed it to Bm and Em for use with other instruments too.

T:La mal-aimable (Am)

C:Trad

M:3/4

K:Am

e2c2B2|A2 FA Bc|B2 GB cd|e2 Be Be|\

e2 (3cdc (3BcB|A2 FA Bc|B2 GB cd|B6:|

c2 Ac Ac|f2 cf cf|B2 GB GB|e2 Be Be|\

A2 FA FA|d2 Ad Ad|B2 eB eB|d2 (3cdc (3BcB|

cA Ac Ac|fc cf cf|BG GB GB|eB Be Be|\

A2 FA FA|d2 Ad Ad|B2 EB cB|A6||

T:La mal-aimable (Bm)

K:Bm

f2d2c2|B2 GB cd|c2 Ac de|f2 cf cf|\

f2 (3ded (3cdc|B2 GB cd|c2 Ac de|c6:|

d2 Bd Bd|g2 dg dg|c2 Ac Ac|f2 cf cf|\

B2 GB GB|e2 Be Be|c2 fc fc|e2 (3ded (3cdc|

dB Bd Bd|gd dg dg|cA Ac Ac|fc cf cf|\

B2 GB GB|e2 Be Be|c2 Fc dc|B6||

T:La mal-aimable (Em)

K:Em

B2G2F2|E2 CE FG|F2 DF GA|B2 FB FB|\

B2 (3GAG (3FGF|E2 CE FG|F2 DF GA|F6:|

G2 EG EG|c2 Gc Gc|F2 DF DF|B2 FB FB|\

E2 CE CE|A2 EA EA|F2 BF BF|A2 (3GAG (3FGF|

GE EG EG|cG Gc Gc|FD DF DF|BF FB FB|\

E2 CE CE|A2 EA EA|F2 B,F GF|E6||

Hmm, this 6/8 tune still has a 5-beat bar in the third part, about the 6th bar.

Try this, I think I've winkled out all of the errors!

T:Oyster Girl - Three Part

P:A

P:B

P:C

B|ded B2d|g3 f2 g|a2 A A2 B| c3 A2B| cdc A2c| f3f2 e|e2d G2A|B3-B2d|

ded B2d|g3f2g|a2ba2g|e3e3|fgf e2d|c'2a f2e|ded e2 f|g3|

Thank you Peter. Brilliantly fixed! (I had a go myself, but.. er... the results weren't all that good.....)

Don't thank me mate, all I did was copy the third part from Dave Mallinson's North West Morris tunes book. I didn't even know it was there to be honest although I've had the book for years. Oyster Girl isn't a Cotswold Morris tune you see and tends to fall by the wayside when your side largely dances in the Cotswold style. As an antipodean you will be forgiven for failing to spot the obviously ludicrous - but don't do it again too soon smarty pants. ;) :P

Edited by tallship

Um...er.... yea...er.. um... okay! There is unlikely to be a Morris Dancer within a thousand miles of me. I've never seen Morris dancing, or a Morris dancer, & don't ever expect to. You're 100% correct though: The finer nuances of various ..er... styles are certainly lost on me, it's all "Morris Dancing" to me, & likely always will be.

Um...er.... yea...er.. um... okay! There is unlikely to be a Morris Dancer within a thousand miles of me. I've never seen Morris dancing, or a Morris dancer, & don't ever expect to. You're 100% correct though: The finer nuances of various ..er... styles are certainly lost on me, it's all "Morris Dancing" to me, & likely always will be.

I'll happily message you links to Youtube videos of good morris dancing if you would be interested. There are morris sides (teams) in Australia but I would think they're a long way from the Torres Strait!

Jack Campin - as I live and breath! I am a grateful recipient of many of your transcriptions, thank you and welcome to concertina.net :-). Here once again is a good working version of the three part Oyster Girl:

T:Oyster Girl - Three Part

P:A

P:B

P:C

B|ded B2d|g3 f2 g|a2 A A2 B| c3 A2B| cdc A2c| f3f2 e|e2d G2A|B3-B2d|

ded B2d|g3f2g|a2ba2g|e3e3|fgf e2d|c'2a f2e|ded e2 f|g3|

Edited by tallship

Here it is then, the bane of my life for some time now and yes it really is just the intro, as it happens it's only the first part too! There's more, much more. Arrgh!

X:54

T:Clennel Street (intro)

C: From Steel Skies by Alistair Anderson

M:9/8

K:C

|:eAf egc d3 | ceg fdB GAB | cAd BAG A3 | GBd gfe dcB | eAf egc d3 |

ceg dBG DEF | EGc BAG Acg | agf eGB c3 :: AEA BcE ABc | EAB cde d3 |

cde dAF DEF | EGc BAG A3 | ADA BcE ABc | ecB AGE F3 | EGc BAG ABc | dfe dcB c3 :|

Jack Campin - as I live and breath! I am a grateful recipient of many of your transcriptions, thank you and welcome to concertina.net

Well well, a funny thing happened to me on the way down to the Pier Head tomorrow (I will be passing that way en route to//////(don't ask)//////////////// Whitby ......

When I opened something for the weekend it came up with de Tallships gathering down at de docks as a little prezzie for Tallship after he offered arpeggio practice which some could not understand. It took me about 10 minutes to realise I was looking at a very old post.

However, by then I had found a simple Scouse way of learning people how to play it

first look at this photo

http://liverpool.stock308.com/s308-Liverpool-107_0762.htm

and then (we used to sing this while waiting for the ferry on the way to school - but like subprime mortgages it seems to have become inflated before coming back over here - our version had three not seven and locked not stuck (the metre is more accurate)

Then I suddenly saw Tallship's delight at Jack Campin popping up - in fact I had suggested Jack look at the Whitby thread and then he found his old password and bingo!

For Tallship therefore, I am ready to give Jack un grand baiser d'amour at the Eurosessions at Whitby (but it will cost Tship a tenner and I will only do it with my eyes screwed up!!!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: