Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

Not so terribly hard, provided you play it very slowly :)

I find it pretty tough as it's going further into the upper register than I've been before. You're right though Larry, the piece is straight forward enough if it's played slowly, trouble is that means at a snails' pace for me and I'll probably have have my tongue stuck out all the while - not a good look! :rolleyes:

A rant/reel is played with a good driving rhythm which will take me some time to achieve.

Pete.

I've gotten a bit used to the notes in the upper register. I also play fiddle and if the music goes above third position (that high D in these variations of Morpeth Rant) I switch to concertina because I'm more likely to be able to play in tune. At our dance last Sunday we played a Quadrille by Johann Strauss, Jr. The dance is easy; the music is devilishly hard. Here's an abc file:

X:1

T:Martha-Quadrille

T: Poule

C:Johann Strauss

K:A

Q:3/8=112

M:6/8

P:A

(e|a) z (ce) z (A|c) z E Ace| (f6 |a) zz z2 (d|f) z (Bd) z (E|

G) z B deg| (a6|c') z .B .B.B.^d| .e z (GA) z (=c|B) z .e g3|

(f3 c2) c| f2f c2^d| e z (GA) z (=c|B) z e g3| f2 f c2 ^d|.e.e.e .e.e.(e||

P:B

a) z (ce) z (A|c) z E Ace| (f6 |a) zz z2 (d|f) z (Bd) z (E|

G) z B deg|aeb aeb|a z z A, z||

P:Coda

c| .c'.a.c' !trill!b3| c'ac' !trill!b3| .c'.f'.e' (d'/2e'/2d'/2c'/2)d' |be'd' c'ba|

.c'.a.c' !trill!b3| .c'.a.c' !trill!b3| .c'.f'.e' (d'/2e'/2d'/2c'/2)d' |.c'.g.a .f z e||

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted a tune but this one is a cracker, courtesy of Anahata who plays it with great style

T:Stoney Steps

M:C

Q:1/4=140

L:1/8

K:G

|: D2 | "G"G2 BG dBgd | "Am"ecAd "D"GFED | "Am" ECB,C A,2 AB | "D7"cABG GFED |

"G" G2 BG dBgd | "Am"ecAd "D"GFED | "Am"ECB,C A,2 AB | "D7"cAGF "G"G2 :|

|: z2 | "G"G,A,B,C DEFG | "D7"ABcd "G"B2 G2 | "Am"BcAF "Em"G2 ef | "A7"ged^c "D" d4 |

"G"dBgd "Am"cAed | "D7"cBAG FEDC | "G"B,DGD "C"CEGc | "D"BAGF "G"G2 :|

Another great tune; well done Peter. Andy Cutting plays it on a recent CD and mentions getting it from Anahata.

Edit: Sorry. It isn't Andy Cutting, but it is Spiers and Boden who play this and attribute Anahrata with the inspiration

Edited by John Adey

OK, so I sort of knew about the Tune-o-matic...but had never used. Now, I'll have to go back through all of this old post and convert the ABC's to sheet music just for the fun of it. What a great gadget!!! an excellent resource so everyone can be "on the same page" ???!!!

always learning something new--thanks you guys! Michelle SE Wis

Hello Michelle, welcome to the forum. :) If you've not encountered ABC before there is an info page you may find interesting over on Melodeon.net, if you're dealing with lots of ABC files or want to create your own tune books etc it's better to download one of the free software packages, my personal preference is ABC Explorer. That's PC software, if you're using a Mac then google BarFly. Enjoy!

Pete.

g

It's been a while since I've posted a tune but this one is a cracker, courtesy of Anahata who plays it with great style

T:Stoney Steps

M:C

Q:1/4=140

K:G

|: D2 | "G"G2 BG dBgd | "Am"ecAd "D"GFED | "Am" ECB,C A,2 AB | "D7"cABG GFED |

"G" G2 BG dBgd | "Am"ecAd "D"GFED | "Am"ECB,C A,2 AB | "D7"cAGF "G"G2 :|

|: z2 | "G"G,A,B,C DEFG | "D7"ABcd "G"B2 G2 | "Am"BcAF "Em"G2 ef | "A7"ged^c "D" d4 |

"G"dBgd "Am"cAed | "D7"cBAG FEDC | "G"B,DGD "C"CEGc | "D"BAGF "G"G2 :|

A great 'big' hornpipe/reel.

Anahata does it with London Hornpipe which is a bit easier I think as it doesn't go down as low, I think J Spiers heard it when Anahata won a concertina competitio at Sidmouth with this tune.

Stoney Steps is great practice on a C/G Anglo for working out lower left hand notes and fingering , right down to A,

Anahata slipped them into the session he and Mary led at Whitby last week. the dots are in Barry Callaghan's excellent Hardcore English from EFDSS

The ascending steps in the tune are pretty tricky and 'stoney' steps doget wet and perilous!

Edited by michael sam wild

• 6 months later...

I do seem to be leaving long gaps between posts these days but here's a tune to get your teeth into. In two weeks I'll be spending a weekend with Alistair to try and learn the whole Steel Skies suite. :D

X:27

T:First Light

T:From Steel Skies

C:Alistair Anderson

Q:1/4=110

M:3/2

K:F

V:1

e2 | f3 e/d/ e2 A4 a2 | [M:2/2]gfed e3 f/g/ | e6 A2 |

V:2

z2 | A3 G/F/ G2 E4 A2 | [M:2/2]BAGA B3 A/G/ | A6 E2 |

"4"[M:3/2] a3 f/e/ d2 A6 | [M:2/2]d^cde g3 e | d6 e2 |

[M:3/2] D3 A/G/ F2 D6 | [M:2/2]AGFE E3 A | D6 G2 |

"7"[M:3/2]f3 e/d/ e2 A4 a2 | [M:2/2]gfed e3 f/g/ | e6 A2 |

[M:3/2]A3 G/F/ G2 E4 A2 | [M:2/2]BAGA B3 A/G/ | A6 E2 |

"10"[M:3/2]f3e/d/ ^c2 A6 | [M:2/2]dagf e3 ^c | d6 f2 |

[M:3/2]A3 G/F/ E2 ^C6 | [M:2/2]D^CDF G3 E | D6 A2 |

"13"[M:3/2]g3 a/b/ a2 f6| [M:2/2]baga b2 c'2 | a6 b2 |

[M:3/2]B3 c/d/ c2 A6 | [M:2/2]dcBA G2 F2 | E6 G2 |

"16"[M:3/2]g3 e/d/ ^c2 A6 | [M:2/2]d^cde A3 c | d6 f2 |

[M:3/2]B3 G/F/ E2 ^C6 | [M:2/2]DAGF E3 ^C | D6A2 |

"19"[M:3/2]g3 a/b/ a2 f6 | [M:2/2] bagf e2 f2 | g6 A2 |

[M:3/2]B3 c/d/ c2 A6 | [M:2/2] dcBA G2 F2 | E6 G2 |

"22"[M:3/2]a3 f/e/ d2 A6 | [M:2/2]d^c de g3 e | Hd4 |

[M:3/2]D3 A/G/ F2 D6 | [M:2/2]AGFG B3 E | HD4 |

Edited for typos as usual. Heaven forbid I will ever make a post on concertina.net that doesn't need correcting later!

Edited by tallship

I wish I could go to that but I don't have the music reading skills. I also doubt that I can play the concertina well enough. Thanks for the music.

Erm, ditto and ditto symon but I've had the music for a few weeks now so I'll be able to take a stab at a few of the themes. Alistair is a gem, filled with boundless and infectious enthusiasm and a level of patience that beggars belief. There are some lovely themes in Steel Skies, I'll crucify them all, Alistair will wince and smile benignly. I'll learn a lot, Alistair will return to the North East a sadder and wiser man. B)

I have PDF files for the whole of Steel Skies and I will be seeking Alistair's permission to abc the whole thing. If he isn't happy with that idea then this abc file will be removed too so grab it while you can ...

Pete.

Pete. For some reason I can't get the midi version to play in the Tune-O-Tron - wrong codec! Other tunes in the Tune-O-Tron play OK. Can't see what might be wrong, if anything, with your ABC coding. Is anyone else having this problem?

Chris

Odd, no idea why the Tune-O-Tron won't play it but the Montreal Tune Book will. Hope that helps!

If not message me and I'll PM the abc file and PDF to you.

I have PDF files for the whole of Steel Skies and I will be seeking Alistair's permission to abc the whole thing. If he isn't happy with that idea then this abc file will be removed too so grab it while you can ...

The entire Steel Skies suite was published book form. I have it, though not immediately to hand.

The cover pictured in this listing on Amazon isn't quite the same, so maybe it's already gone to more than one printing?

Edited to add: Oops! As noted in the next post, that Amazon listing isn't for the printed music, but for the CD recording. It looks like the book of scores may be out of print.

Edited by JimLucas

The entire Steel Skies suite was published book form. I have it, though not immediately to hand.

The cover pictured in this listing on Amazon isn't quite the same, so maybe it's already gone to more than one printing?

The Amazon listing is for the CD, released in October 2009, a re-issue of the original LP, and not the tune book. I can't find any reference to the suite being published in book form, on Amazon, so maybe it is out of print.

Chris

The Amazon listing is for the CD, released in October 2009, a re-issue of the original LP, and not the tune book. I can't find any reference to the suite being published in book form, on Amazon, so maybe it is out of print.

Oops! You're right. Careless of me.

Thanks. I'll note the correction in my post.

The Steel Skies workshop is next weekend :) In the meantime here's a funny little piece that rolls out nicely once you get the idea.

X:34

T:Hot Rivets

T:From Steel Skies

Q:1/4=120

M:3/4

K:D

fa g/f/e/d/ d2|[M:6/8]Ace def |[M:3/4]gb a/g/f/d/e2 |[M:6/8]Bdg ecA :|

P:B

[M:3/4]F2 AF G/A/B/G/ | [M:6/8]Aag fed | [M:3/4]g2 eg f/e/d/B/ | [M:6/8]Age cde :|

P:C

[M:3/4]d/e/f/g/ aA d2 | [M:6/8]AFD EFG | [M:3/4]A/B/c/d/ eA g2 | [M:6/8]fed ecA :|

This one is lovely, just play it as written. The key and time signature changes at the end of the piece lead into something far harder to play but uncle Alistair might have pulled the plug before it gets that far ...

X:7

T:Road to the North, The

M:4/4

K:D

ag| f2 d2 cdec | d6 AB | =c4 cBcd | B2 G2 A2 ag | f2 d2 cdec |

FG | A2 F2 EFGE | F6 E2 | G4 ED=CE | G2 B,2 D2 FG | A2 F2 EFGE |