Rhomylly And Family Are Moving!

And, of course, I'm already looking for local (semi-local) players (waves at Joe!)

We'll be in Manitowoc, on Lake Michigan, some time after the first week in August. Milwaukee, Sheboygan, Green Bay, Appleton, these are all doable locations -- and I already have plans to attend the Irish school events next summer.

And, of course, I'm already looking for local (semi-local) players (waves at Joe!)

We'll be in Manitowoc, on Lake Michigan, some time after the first week in August. Milwaukee, Sheboygan, Green Bay, Appleton, these are all doable locations -- and I already have plans to attend the Irish school events next summer.

I lived in Wisc. (Madison) for 10 years, passed thru Manitowoc many times. Lovely place. Be sure to get to Madison now and then; great music scene.

Wow! That's going to be a change. I toured though there with the National Opera one Fall and in Appleton sang at a beautifully restored 19th centruy theater. Can't imagine there's not a great Irish scene around there.

Humidity proof your concertinas.

David -- I do play Irish music. I hope to master John Williams' DVD in prep for an in-person lesson or two.

In general, I expect my repertoire to expand to seafarin' music and polkas.

I'm good with that.

It will be odd, though, after 4 years of worrying about humidifying my instruments in high-altitude New Mexico, to worry about de-humidifying. Any suggestions?

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Rhomylly

I live in central Illinois-- just as humid, though perhaps a bit hotter in the summer and not quite as cold in the winter as where you're moving. I've never had trouble with my concertinas because of the humidity--I keep them in their cases when I'm not playing them. If the instrument is cold and you start playing in warm humid air you might have a problem with condensation.

I've been playing in some of the Madison sessions on weekends this summer (my wife is at UW for 8 weeks, so I'm commuting up on weekends and haven't been there for the regular Wednesday night session). I haven't seen any other concertinas. I've felt welcome. Nobody has given me any flack about playing an English concertina, though I'll admit I've mostly played fiddle in these sessions. You can find the information about times, places, and contacts at

http://www.celticmadison.org/music/

Make sure to check out the Milwaukee Irish fest too. The link is http://www.irishfest.com/

Two weeks ago in Champaign we had three concertinas at the session. Great fun. I'm usually the only one in Bloomington (IL) or Peoria when I go there.

It will be odd, though, after 4 years of worrying about humidifying my instruments in high-altitude New Mexico, to worry about de-humidifying. Any suggestions?

Yup! The Button box sells a simple dehumidifier filled with beads that absorbe moisture. Slip one in each case. The beads are a dark blue color when dry. When they turn pink in color it will be time to throw the box in the oven for 350 (directions on the package). After the required time they are back to dark blue and ready to protect your instruments.

Me thinks Larry underestimates just how dry it is in New Mexico. As I'm sure you know, unprotected those concertini a'yourn will have the wooden parts a' swellin'.

Much joy in your new home!

I live in Chicago and have taken lessons with John Williams. He's a good teacher and a nice guy. He's also a mind-numbingly fantastic player with a wealth of musical knowledge. Welcome to the Middle West.

David -- I do play Irish music. I hope to master John Williams' DVD in prep for an in-person lesson or two.

In general, I expect my repertoire to expand to seafarin' music and polkas.

I'm good with that.

Edited for spelling.

you're three and a half hours away! jeez--i was hoping closer well, i'll let you know if i'm ever up that way. let me know if you come to chicago.

i never took lessons from john williams like i was supposed to, but somehow ended up going to noel hill's irish concertina camp. it's a lot of fun. i've met john a couple times and he is a fantastic musician and a really nice guy. one time, some friends of mine from kentucky were in the area to buy new machines for their shop ( http://carrollconcertinas.com/ ) and we all went to one of john william's session, and it was a blast. we all came during a snow storm, and it ended up--with the three of us and john--having 4 concertinas at a session. heaven! might i add john is a really good flute player, too.

i never took lessons from john williams like i was supposed to, but somehow ended up going to noel hill's irish concertina camp. it's a lot of fun. i've met john a couple times and he is a fantastic musician and a really nice guy. one time, some friends of mine from kentucky were in the area to buy new machines for their shop ( http://carrollconcertinas.com/ ) and we all went to one of john william's session, and it was a blast. we all came during a snow storm, and it ended up--with the three of us and john--having 4 concertinas at a session. heaven! might i add john is a really good flute player, too.

I was all registered for Noel's 2004 midwest school (I was still living in MO at the time), but quickly realized that it coincided with the week we were moving to New Mexico, and that at 4 1/2 months' pregnant, it was just more than I wanted to handle.

Maybe next year, now that I'll be closer!

Or maybe the Milwaukee Irish Fest.

Or the St. Louis Tionol.

Or some combination of all of the above!

I was all registered for Noel's 2004 midwest school (I was still living in MO at the time), but quickly realized that it coincided with the week we were moving to New Mexico, and that at 4 1/2 months' pregnant, it was just more than I wanted to handle.

Maybe next year, now that I'll be closer!

Or maybe the Milwaukee Irish Fest.

Or the St. Louis Tionol.

Or some combination of all of the above!

let me know if you ever decide to go! my friend peter (who lives in viroqua, wisconsin) and i are always looking for people to carpool with. it's nice to have company on the way down.

and i thought you would like this. i have found a video of jim ward singing jim ward's jig, which is a tune featured on john william's instructional vhs, and i assume, the dvd.

let me know if you ever decide to go! my friend peter (who lives in viroqua, wisconsin) and i are always looking for people to carpool with. it's nice to have company on the way down.

and i thought you would like this. i have found a video of jim ward singing jim ward's jig, which is a tune featured on john william's instructional vhs, and i assume, the dvd.

I will certainly do that! I'd love to carpool!