Collection Of Tunes

michelv

Let's first say that I'm an absolute beginner on English Concertina, but I've played music all my life, bluegrass, jazz, traditional flemish, gipsy, Argentinian tango. That makes my musical interest very broad, so I've decided to make my own site to share music.

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/

Expect some very odd music here, apart from the more traditional jigs and hornpipes. Folk musicians have always played these 'novelty tunes', tunes they have heared on the radio, popular classical music, etc. And nowadays also YouTube proves to be very inspirational.

At present, I've added a

, two 18th century Flemish kontradansen and the
from YouTube...

Very cool! I very well might learn the chicken song. Do you have the piano parts written down anywhere? They'd be helpful for me to adapt the tunes to duet. I could also import a midi file as sheet music if that's easier for you.

Very cool! I very well might learn the chicken song. Do you have the piano parts written down anywhere? They'd be helpful for me to adapt the tunes to duet. I could also import a midi file as sheet music if that's easier for you.

I've added the piano score. Have you watched the YouTube movie? There's a rooster coming to watch what's happening as well.

I've added the piano score. Have you watched the YouTube movie? There's a rooster coming to watch what's happening as well.

Thanks! Yes, the video is what made me decide to learn it. I've already memorized the A section (melody part), what fun!

Great website!

I wondered where you got the title for Donegal Mazurka?

I've known that as Charlie Lennon's Mazurka - and it's listed in a few of the tunes databases as that.

Cheers,

Pamela

Great website!

I've known that as Charlie Lennon's Mazurka - and it's listed in a few of the tunes databases as that.

Cheers,

Pamela

I got it from the "Fiddle Case Tunebook: British Isles" by Stacy Phillips. Sutitle of the tune: "from John Doherty (Comhaltas Ceoltoiri 10). I found this interesting page...

Edited by michelv

Great website!

Cheers,

Pamela

I got it from the "Fiddle Case Tunebook: British Isles" by Stacy Phillips. Sutitle of the tune: "from John Doherty (Comhaltas Ceoltoiri 10). I found this interesting page...

Interesting - it sounds just the same. Guess there's been a lot of confusion about whether each is which - but they are very very similar.

I love mazurkas - especially the Swedish ones!

Great website!

Cheers,

Pamela

Interesting - it sounds just the same. Guess there's been a lot of confusion about whether each is which - but they are very very similar.

I love mazurkas - especially the Swedish ones!

There are a few mazurkas from Donegal. And this tune is know also under other names. I really like mazurka very much as well. Too bad that, at least here in Belgium, young folkies don't like to play them anymore: too pointed.

A few Flemish and French mazurkas are not bad either... I'll try and post some more on my website. Yesterday I've added one from the Auvergne, France, one that I learned from a hurdy-gurdy player:

Mazurka d'Auvergne