Who's Having A Laugh?

david robertson

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey - it went for £70!

Did anyone on this forum buy it?

Not me anyway, I never went over my original 6p bid (that's 1p for each side!) :rolleyes:

The "lucky buyer" seems to only buy DVDs otherwise, and is a Simpson's fan. (Of course, there was a concertina maker called Simpson... :unsure: )

Why?

Dunno! :blink:

I hope they didn't buy it because they didn't get the joke and thought that the jokester was serious that it's a valuable instrument...

Actually, with 29 minutes or so to go, it's now up to £39.99 !

Did anyone on this forum buy it? Why?

Guest HallelujahAl!
I hope they didn't buy it because they didn't get the joke and thought that the jokester was serious that it's a valuable instrument...

It appears that a number of 'old sayings' that immediately spring to mind are true: I'll kick things off with "there's one born every minute"...over to you...

Edited by HallelujahAl!

It appears that a number of 'old sayings' that immediately spring to mind are true: I'll kick things off with "there's one born every minute"...over to you...

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Fraid not, Walt Disney made up that myth... :(

Well aware of it, mate. To my mind that double qualifies my saying for prime time. After all, no man is an island or indeed any other geographical feature. Two wrongs don't make a rite and you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him jump.

Chris

How about "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

and "One mans trash is another mans treasure".

I was under the impression, the lemmings supposed myth came from the northern part of Europe, and was part of the Pied Piper of Hamelin fairy tale, and was part of rodent population explosion, and migration.

Thanks

Leo

'Fraid not, Walt Disney made up that myth... :(

Actually, the myth, if myth it is, is a lot older than the film. This is from a book I was reading earlier today:-

Like those little rodents whose migration becomes barred by an encroachment of the sea, so that annually they drowned themselves in thousands, the First Men helplessly continued in their ritualistic behaviour; but unlike the lemmings, they were human enough to be oppressed by unbelief, un unbelief which, moreover, they dared not recognise.

The book is Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon. It was written in 1930.

Chris

Guest HallelujahAl!
Fraid not, Walt Disney made up that myth... :(

Well aware of it, mate. To my mind that double qualifies my saying for prime time. After all, no man is an island or indeed any other geographical feature. Two wrongs don't make a rite and you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him jump.

Chris

Ye gods, what have I done?!

Show a lemming a cliff and he'll jump off it.

(Actually I made up the last one).

'Fraid not, Walt Disney made up that myth... :(

1st lemming: Let's jump off the treadmill of life!

2nd lemming: It's not "Walt Disney"...

:rolleyes:

This reminds me of the old saying: A lemming and his cliff are soon parted. And a joke about Walt Disney. What's the difference between Bob Hope and Walt Disney? Bing sings, Walt disney!

Chris

What about: "You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make him drink. Lead a man to the water, hold a pistol to his head, and he'll drink the trough dry." I just wonder what method of coercion (or persuasion) caused someone to buy a buttonless concertina for 70 quid ...

Cheers,

John