Contra Dance

michelv

This is a contra dance from a manuscript from Ghent, Belgium dated around 1770. It's originally written for violin and harpsichord (or whatever musicians you could afford at that time). Other possible instruments in that period were cello, horn and clarino (a kind of trumpet). I tried to fill the harmony in the piano part based on the bass line on the original score.

I think it would fit very nicely in the repertoire of an English Concertina player:

le_carnaval_anglois.mp3

le_carnaval_anglais_concertina.pdf

Looking at the bass line, I might suggests that you play it about as fast as your (human) keyboard player can manage.

"a contra dance"

What to your mind makes it a contra dance? A contra dance is a kind of a dance, not a tune.

And why do you think it suitable as a tune for a contra dance? I don't hear much lift, nor a solid beat.

Especially in light of the wonderful tunes that are particularly well-suited for a contra dance,

and which were composed with that suitability in mind.

"a contra dance"

What to your mind makes it a contra dance? A contra dance is a kind of a dance, not a tune.

And why do you think it suitable as a tune for a contra dance? I don't hear much lift, nor a solid beat.

Especially in light of the wonderful tunes that are particularly well-suited for a contra dance,

and which were composed with that suitability in mind.

It's from a manuscript published in Ghent, 1757. The French title was "Cent Contradanses En Rond", referring to the original English dance in a circle. And each tune is complemented with a description of the dance figures. This manuscript is regarded as one of the most typical examples of European contra dance outside England.

The dance figures were mostly French inspired, not English. In Belgium, the term 'kontradans', 'contredanse' or 'contra dance' is used for the dance music in cities in the 18th century, before polka etc. came in.

Maybe the term 'contra dance' has another meaning in Ireland? Can you give examples of this wonderful music you refer to?

In the northeast U.S. a dance tradition developed from earlier styles (others are more expert on exactly what) by (I'm told) about 200 years ago and is known as contra dance. It nearly died out in the 1940s/1950s but is pretty active now across the U.S. These tunes (roots in Scottish, English, Irish, and some Quebecois fiddle and other tunes) are the first ones I learned when I began concertina in 1992. I don't know what sort of dance this term refers to in Ireland, but I'm sure others here do.

In Louisiana among the Cajuns (Acadiens) there was an arcane dance form called "contredanse." These are many other old styles essentially vanished nearly a century ago when the button accordion joined the dance fiddle and the styles shrank to waltz and two-step. Perhaps that is related to the continental style of dance?

Ken

In Ireland there are Set Dances. In America country dances would be referred to as Contra Dances: http://www.sbcds.org/contradance/whatis/

This is a great source for some music: http://www.randymillerprints.com/fiddletunebooks.htm

NEW ENGLAND FIDDLER'S REPERTOIRE

NEFR3_for_web_tn.jpg

168 classic contradance tunes in one source,

with guitar chords. Illustrated with wood engravings by Randy Miller. New 3rd edition, 25th anniversary, 1983-2008.

$22

THE FIDDLER'S THRONE

Fidthcover_thumb.jpg

A unique collection of 375 traditional tunes from New England, Cape Breton, Scotland, Shetland, and Ireland. Contemporary as well as vintage tunes included. $25

THE FIDDLER'S THRONE--CD

FidthCDcover_thumb.jpg

35 tunes from the Fiddler's Throne book played by Randy Miller on fiddle and solo piano, with guitarists Tom Hodgson and David Loney. $15

Other collections of fiddle tunes include: Cole's 1000 Fiddle Tunes, Ryan's Mammoth Collection (the original and more complete version of Cole's), Mel Bay's Don Messer Anthology of Favorite Fiddle Tunes, Donna Hinds' The Grumbling Old Woman (Hand to Mouth Music, P.O. Box A, Bedford, MA 01730), Phil Williams' The Mandolin Player's Pastime, Voyager Publication's Brand New Oldtime Fiddle Tune Collections, various English country dance collections. Scottish and Irish tune collections also contain useful tunes, as do Canadian fiddle tune books. Many of the collections of tunes suitable for contra dancing can be obtained from Country Dance and Song Society of America, 17 New South St., Northampton, MA 01060; Andy's Front Hall, P.O. Box 307, Wormer Road, Voorheesville, N.Y. 12186; Alcazar, Box 429, Waterbury, VT 05676, and Fiddler's Crossing, if they are not available at your local music store.

Here is a site with some tunes: http://home.insightbb.com/~otter256/dance/...moon_index.html

If you google Contra dance or Contra Dance tunes you'll come up with too much information.

Maybe the term 'contra dance' has another meaning in Ireland? Can you give examples of this wonderful music you refer to?

I don't know that "contra dance" is like in Ireland, but it's a common type of dance here in New England and popular in many places in the US.

My understanding is that it is the Americanised (d)evolvement of the English *country dance* though the term contra dance probably came from the French "contredans" which is what the French had labeled English country dances that were then (around 1700) the "rage" as they were performed in sets in which couples faced each other. There were many forms of country dancing (couples in a circle, couples facing couples in a circle, 2 couple sets, 3 couple sets, 4 couple sets, 4 couples in a square set, couples in any length long lines...).

There still are many forms of ECD with the same dances though the Americanized version seems to be prominently the long line form (which has evolved with many sub-forms). The suitable music has also evolved to have more "upbeat" and drive than the original ECD music.

Here some sample snippets: Sample 1, sample 2, sample 3, sample 4,

You can also hear and see contradancing on YouTube and woah! There's even a clip of my local dance at the

-- Rich --

Edited by Richard Morse

Thanks for the samples, guys. Seems that what you call contra dance in Ireland, here in Belgium we just call it 'Irish music' (grin). And for the US and Canada version: we used to call them 'fiddle tunes'. A very long time ago, I used to play bluegrass (double bass) and from time to time we threw in some dance music, and I would do the calling.

It would be very interesting to find out how all these tunes and play/dance styles evolved from each other and how they relate. E.g. I know that the polka came in Europe via Vienna and Paris in 1840. It was an instant hit because until then, the dance had been only contradance and waltz. The very first polka was the 'Première Polka', also know as 'Polka Nationale'. I'll try to get a copy. The tempo advice then was 104 to a quarter...

I think the closest related to our contra dance in the US is the 'Quadrille', a dance I think that was very popular with army officers.

I think the closest related to our contra dance in the US is the 'Quadrille', a dance I think that was very popular with army officers.

I think that it was the "original" English 4-couple square set that the French called "Quadrille" had evolved in America to what we now call "square dance" type of dancing (considerably different from contradancing).

-- Rich --

I think that it was the "original" English 4-couple square set that the French called "Quadrille" had evolved in America to what we now call "square dance" type of dancing (considerably different from contradancing).

-- Rich --

Yes, lots of confusion possible. In Flanders, Belgium, the quadrille or 'Kadril' is part of our traditional folk dance. Many villages have their own kadril. And morris dance is danced here as well, with sticks or swords. The sword dance here was traditionally danced by the city guard, once a year. I played along once, very early morning in Antwerp.

Here's the polka I was talking about: the very first polka ever in Europe. Does anyone know it?

polka_nationale.mp3

• 3 months later...

I didn't see this thread before about contradansen. Contredancen or contradansen occur in the Netherlands and Flanders about 1600. Many of these dances are of dutch-flemish origin, but also a lot of music seems to be crossing the borders in Europe. In `de friesche lusthof ` from 1624 you will not only find dutch, but also english, french, scottish, french, spanish and italian melodies. In 1700, Estienne Rogers (born in France, moved to Amsterdam) was an editor in Amsterdam who printed for composers from all parts of Europe, these dance masters and editors seem to have travelled a lot more then I do these days.

Like Richard allready told, the name "contredans" refers to "country dance". A Contredans or contradans may be any type of dance in the country, so it is not a speciific style. I have a number of old dutch books with contredances and they contain loads of dutch bravades, gavottes, branles, bourrees, jigs, slip jigs, klockdance, stick dances, polish pieces (which sometimes are in fact polka's), galjaards, melodies from ballads and more of those. They are all "contredansen".

I posted a couple of those country dances from before 1700 on youtube, some of you may allready have heard them.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Z_QdmS9gU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=af4lVzTZUqI

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SiCCvFwACs0

Marien

- edited for removing one typo -

Edited by marien