Tedrow Concertina Report

Had an opportunity to hang out with Bob Tedrow at a harp festival outside Washington today (never heard so many harps in my life; I thought I had died).

I've played a few of Bob's earlier instruments and they were nice and all, but didn't really grab me (I have a strong preference for the sound of traditional reeds).

But his new stuff is fabulous. The "Zephyr" he brought along had just superb action; no other way to describe it. As good a feel as any concertina I've played. Sound was outstanding, though I'd like to play one on the street with a bunch of rowdy Morris men dancing with bells an clashing sticks instead of a big hotel room with dozens of harpists playing funeral music. Very, very good bellows.

His square Dandy was surprisingly light and the sound and action were very good. Very nice workmanship all around.

I've noticed in the past few years the striking improvement in the sound and action of hybrid Anglos. This guy's stuff is really impressive.

Edited by Jim Besser

I completely agree - I got a hybrid anglo made by harry geuns (ex concertina connection) - he promised that the sound of (accordion-)reeds would get better and better after playing. And that's exactly what they did! The sound is bright, full and sweet and - maybe also because of the shape of the "chambers" - very much like trad. reeds. First class action and bellows - a pleasure every day.

Now I'm heading for a holiday and that meens two weeks without a concertina - hard times ;)

• 2 weeks later...
The "Zephyr" he brought along had just superb action; no other way to describe it. As good a feel as any concertina I've played. Sound was outstanding, though I'd like to play one on the street with a bunch of rowdy Morris men dancing with bells an clashing sticks instead of a big hotel room with dozens of harpists playing funeral music. Very, very good bellows.

ah yes the Tedrow Zephyr, you have taste my friend.

I'm waiting for the Crane version, truly to the envy of ye concertina gods.

• 3 weeks later...
The "Zephyr" he brought along had just superb action; no other way to describe it. As good a feel as any concertina I've played. Sound was outstanding, though I'd like to play one on the street with a bunch of rowdy Morris men dancing with bells an clashing sticks instead of a big hotel room with dozens of harpists playing funeral music. Very, very good bellows.

ah yes the Tedrow Zephyr, you have taste my friend.

I'm waiting for the Crane version, truly to the envy of ye concertina gods.

So Bob is planning a Crane Duet? How many buttons?

I REALLY wish he'd take up making Hayden Duets again. If/when he does, it should be a real winner -- and his 52-key setup is very handy.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer