Teaching And Learning

Pamela

I have a Stagi, English Tenor, 48 buttons. I think that I am going to need put a neck band on my concertina because when and if I ever get to playing I will be standing. DOes anyone have a picture of their Stagi showing where and how they put a neck band on it?

Again...any English concertina players in the south??? I live in Western North Carolina.

Thanks!

Pam

in the south??? I live in Western North Carolina.

South, western, north!! no Eastern influence?? :lol: :lol:

Opps sorry, I forgot that this is an international list. The lower right corner of the eastern part of the United States is called "the South. I live in the state of North Carolina, but looking at a map I am as west as you can get right next to the Tennessee state line. Anyway I am finding that most concertina players are located much north of me on the eastern coast of the US....

Has anyone put a neck strap on their concertina? I sure hate to just drill a hole in my new Stagi.

Thanks!

................................Has anyone put a neck strap on their concertina? I sure hate to just drill a hole in my new Stagi.

Thanks!

Hi Pamela

There have been quite a few discussions about a neck strap, a few of which are here:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...;hl=neck++strap

_____

Here is one in use, but I have no Idea how it's attached:

Thanks

Leo

Has anyone put a neck strap on their concertina? I sure hate to just drill a hole in my new Stagi.

Don't mess with neck straps, esp. as thin as Pauline is using. She is heading directly to intencive care unit, when she least expecting it.

There are other ways, some more elaborate, some less.

I can't give you a link to my demo, because Mediamax is dead and I lost all my files there, including my professional demo reel. Bastards! Could have sent me email and worn me to download my stuff. I guess I can sue them.

Oh Thanks! This has been really helpful. There was one photo of making a strap that wraps around each end of the Concertina. Since I am a weaver and I can weave bands, I think I can do that one and not do any damage to my instrument.

Thank you for sharing you information!

Pam

Sorry about your files.

I am a weaver and after seeing the photos that were shared with me, I think I can weave a nice size neck band. Hopefully I won't hurt my neck.

Pam

Sorry about your files.

I am a weaver and after seeing the photos that were shared with me, I think I can weave a nice size neck band. Hopefully I won't hurt my neck.

Pam

OK, I made another makeshift drawing:

Gray ribbon is Velcrow strip (no glue or glue is up to you. For Stagi use glue, no big deal. It will come off in time, so you'll have to redo it)

Person with concertina is you (approximation).

Note, that Velcrow is wrapped around with ends sticking out. This end you can loop and fasten with paper stapler of large size - it holds well and is easy to undo.

One loop is on top of instrument, another on the bottom on the other side of the instrument.

Buy cheap $10 or less camera holders or anything that has belts with hooks. Cut off the hooks and use them to connect Velcrow with... I recommend accordion shoulder belt.

One end of the belt goes over your shoulder and into the top loop of velcrow wrap.

Other goes under your, excuse me, armpit, and into bottom velcrow loop.

You can stand, with one and of concertina (where loop is on the top, probably) propped up against that six pack of yours, the oher is free to work the bellows, accordion style.

All and all $20 max and about 1-2 hours of work. Looks elegantly, works solidly, allows for better dynamics, saves bellows.

I would doubt usefulness of soft woven scarfs. They will stretch and become a rope. You don't want a rope around your neck, unless you one of those...

I would recommend high quality shoulder belt, not a soft chinese one, it slips. But it's up to you. Any leather belt will do nicely, and even those adjustable synthetic shoulder belts from $10 camera pockets you bought for hooks, will work just fine.

Now back to work (yep, and it's 9:25pm)

Enjoy "knee free" concertina playing.

I can't give you a link to my demo, because Mediamax is dead and I lost all my files there

That really is a great shame, I thought that the neck/shoulder strap design that you demonstrated on the video was a very clever idea. You'll just have to do it again and put it up on youtube this time! :D

Pete.

I can't give you a link to my demo, because Mediamax is dead and I lost all my files there

That really is a great shame, I thought that the neck/shoulder strap design that you demonstrated on the video was a very clever idea. You'll just have to do it again and put it up on youtube this time! :D

Pete.

Thanks.

Well, then one day Youtube will unsuccessfully transfer files to some "Metube" and lose them again.

I have my backups somewhere.Hope the hard drive is still working (knock on the wood).

Thanks for the description.

No, I wouldn't weave a scarf to go around the instrument. But I do know tabletweaving ( as well as scarf weaving). Anyway it makes a very tight band. But, going to the store and getting something already made is not such a bad idea either.

Thanks for the advice!

Pam

Sorry about your files.

Pam

OK, I made another makeshift drawing:

Gray ribbon is Velcrow strip (no glue or glue is up to you. For Stagi use glue, no big deal. It will come off in time, so you'll have to redo it)

Person with concertina is you (approximation).

Note, that Velcrow is wrapped around with ends sticking out. This end you can loop and fasten with paper stapler of large size - it holds well and is easy to undo.

One loop is on top of instrument, another on the bottom on the other side of the instrument.

Buy cheap $10 or less camera holders or anything that has belts with hooks. Cut off the hooks and use them to connect Velcrow with... I recommend accordion shoulder belt.

One end of the belt goes over your shoulder and into the top loop of velcrow wrap.

Other goes under your, excuse me, armpit, and into bottom velcrow loop.

You can stand, with one and of concertina (where loop is on the top, probably) propped up against that six pack of yours, the oher is free to work the bellows, accordion style.

All and all $20 max and about 1-2 hours of work. Looks elegantly, works solidly, allows for better dynamics, saves bellows.

I would doubt usefulness of soft woven scarfs. They will stretch and become a rope. You don't want a rope around your neck, unless you one of those...

I would recommend high quality shoulder belt, not a soft chinese one, it slips. But it's up to you. Any leather belt will do nicely, and even those adjustable synthetic shoulder belts from $10 camera pockets you bought for hooks, will work just fine.

Now back to work (yep, and it's 9:25pm)

Enjoy "knee free" concertina playing.

Allison

It sure was a delight meeting you, so glad you came into the shop! I have been planing to e-mail you, but keep forgetting to get your card our of my concertina box. I am off to day taking a class at the Folk School. Will e-mail you soon!

Pam

Hi, Pamela! I met you in your shop in Western NC just last week! Good luck in your search for straps!

We'll be in touch, I'm sure :D